Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: laser eye safety for a scanning laser rangefinder

Images

Re: laser eye safety for a scanning laser rangefinder

Quote Originally Posted by RobotNV View Post
    Can't you just trust me?
    I thought you are subscribed to ros-users, Fergs.
    It just seemed like an odd choice. Qt has some funky dual-licensing issues -- which seems to go against the BSD licensing that ROS/Willow Garage have thus far supported.

And yes, I am on ros-users, however I don't have time to read every post. In particular I skip over most of the threads related to making ROS run on OSX, Fedora, or distribution XYZ, as they are typically completely irrelevant to me (I'm quite fine with Ubuntu).

-Fergs

Images

Quote Originally Posted by lnxfergy View Post
    It just seemed like an odd choice. Qt has some funky dual-licensing issues -- which seems to go against the BSD licensing that ROS/Willow Garage have thus far supported.
    Willow Garage tends to choose best 3rd party software and Qt is arguably the best for GUI. Even some Gnome guys starting agreeing with that. It's runs on a lot of hardware and ROS have the same goal. Especially since they ported GUI stuff to Windows.

Qt added LGPL with a couple of relaxations for templates/headers about 1.5 years ago and made everything free. So no funky stuff. Qt's development process is completely open.
    Qt is all C++ with extra abilities like introspection. QtPy seems to be very popular between Python people.

[quote=lnxfergy;43879]And yes, I am on ros-users, however I don't have time to read every post. In particular I skip over most of the threads related to making ROS run on OSX, Fedora, or distribution XYZ, as they are typically completely irrelevant to me (I'm quite fine with Ubuntu)./quote]

That's what I thought. Have you ever tried Kubuntu? I'm going to try Ubuntu 64 (without K) on my new i7 machine once I receive my SSD drive. Then I will be able to tell firsthand which one is better - Ubuntu (GTK+) or Kubuntu (Qt).

3. Re: laser eye safety for a scanning laser rangefinder

I actually used to work for Trolltech on Qt some years ago and currently use Qt/Embedded in my day job (and my own robot GUI), so this is good news for me. :-)

Images

Quote Originally Posted by RobotNV View Post
    Qt added LGPL with a couple of relaxations for templates/headers about 1.5 years ago and made everything free. So no funky stuff. Qt's development process is completely open.
    Qt is all C++ with extra abilities like introspection. QtPy seems to be very popular between Python people.
    Apparently, I haven't tried Qt in a bit of time (didn't even know that Trolltech was acquired by Nokia). Last time I was working with Qt, you're only choices were GPL or their commercial license.

-Fergs

Thread Information