Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: laser eye safety for a scanning laser rangefinder

Re: laser eye safety for a scanning laser rangefinder

The UTM-30LX is basically working as advertised, I can't think of any real complaints besides some very minor stuff (it gets rather hot compared to the URG-04LX for example). An example we're using it for can be seen here:
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nI1DWboC73w"]YouTube - Team Hector Darmstadt RoboCup Rescue 2010 Mapping Challenge[/ame]
    [Click on video and select 1080p for best experience]

The scanner is basically the state of the art LIDAR sensor for smaller-than-car systems. It's also used on Willow Garage's PR2, a lot of other mobile manipulation systems (like TUM's Rosie) and all of the recent quadrotor mapping systems (like Penn's or MIT's).

Images

This is really cool.
    What type of software are you using? It doesn't look like ROS's rviz. It looks Qt-based actually.

That's correct. At the moment we're using RoboFrame. This software framework was developed at our group and also is used highly successfull for our autonomous humanoid soccer robots. Recently, ROS has gained enough momentum that we're beginning the process of switching to it, but that will take some time.

Images

Are you going to switch to wxWidgets from Qt for GUI?

Well ROS gives you a lot of freedom in that regard. It makes sense to use existing tools like rviz,rxplot etc. of course, but for additional GUI tools, any toolkit can basically be used. We'll probably port some of our Qt GUI stuff to be usable with ROS.

Nammo et al,
    Somehow i stopped getting reply notices for this post. Anyway, I'm not sure I can necessarily improve on any of the factors you listed, but i am sure that with a strong community involvement then we could make a pretty neat product. Id be basing my design off of a white paper from maxim-ic. Ill see if I cant PM it to you. In a nutshell, its a pulsed laser system with two Time to voltage converters (basically a RC charging circuit) on times the time between trigger and pulse and the other times the time between trigger and return pulse. By integrating the TOF over several pulses and reading the voltage difference between the two circuits, you can determine the distance. Maxin was triggering the pulses with a FET and has a discrete circuit for the T2V converters. The transimpedance amp on tbe front end is one of their chips.

Collection optics can go a long way in improving the performance of the system. That'd be the first place to start before moving to an APD or PMT based detector.

I'm toying with the idea of implementing the system in visible (~532 nm) to make it a bit safer and test the design.

Images

gallamine,
    It's nice to hear you are moving along with this project.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by RobotNV View Post
    Are you going to switch to wxWidgets from Qt for GUI?
    I just learned you will not need to.
    ROS announced switching from wxWidgets to Qt.
    OpenCV's HighGUI will be based on Qt too.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by RobotNV View Post
    I just learned you will not need to.
    ROS announced switching from wxWidgets to Qt.
    OpenCV's HighGUI will be based on Qt too.
    Source of this information?

-Fergs

Images

Can't you just trust me?
    I thought you are subscribed to ros-users, Fergs.
    I ported Qt to QNX, so I have a sweet tooth for it.

Qt for OpenCV from the presentation here: http://www.ros.org/wiki/Events/CoTeS...get=OpenCV.pdf

ROS: http://ros-users.122217.n3.nabble.co....html#a1843573

Ken Conley 342 posts Re: ROS Tutorial under OSX 10.6

I'll note that a lot of the Diamondback work we're doing is expressly to try and make this bringup easier, though it is hard to maintain compatible with Apple's development choices.

The new rx stacks moves the wx dependencies out of ROS that are so problematic on OS X -- we've also announced that we're switching the Qt in the future, as wx seems to not have its act together anymore.

I'll note that a lot of the Diamondback work we're doing is expressly to try and make this bringup easier, though it is hard to maintain compatible with Apple's development choices.

The new rx stacks moves the wx dependencies out of ROS that are so problematic on OS X -- we've also announced that we're switching the Qt in the future, as wx seems to not have its act together anymore.

We've also moved visualization_msgs into common_msgs, which should reduce the pollution of "visualization_common" within the stack dependency chain. Also, future versions of RViz (not Diamondback, but possible E-turtle), will be Qt based.
    Apple pulled the rug from everybody with 10.6, except Qt. So it's not really a fault of wx guys.

Thread Information