Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Quad 4DOF Mech - Immortal

Images

Re: Quad 4DOF Mech - Immortal

Quote Originally Posted by Stobs View Post
    cire, did you use the same servos as original to the Bioloid kit to build Immortal, or did you change them up along with the (SWEET!) brackets? Project's looking good!

Stobs/Paul

[PS: am I misinterpreting the drawing or are the scoring panels going to cover up the "Immortal" plates? ^.o]
    I am using the same Ax-12+ Servo's, the reason I bought the Bioloid kit was because I was going to use AX-12's in the final mech. The kit just helped me save a lot of headache with understanding how the thing actually would walk before trying to put the design on a drawing to be built.

Yeah, those "Immortal" plates are really just to mount the scoring panels on. I ended up only getting the words put in one plate since it added quite a bit onto the waterjet cost and I wasn't sure if it was going to turn out any good (but it did). However, I don't always plan on having the target plates mounted, so it will still be visible some of the time.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by cire View Post
    I am using the same Ax-12+ Servo's, the reason I bought the Bioloid kit was because I was going to use AX-12's in the final mech. The kit just helped me save a lot of headache with understanding how the thing actually would walk before trying to put the design on a drawing to be built.

Yeah, those "Immortal" plates are really just to mount the scoring panels on. I ended up only getting the words put in one plate since it added quite a bit onto the waterjet cost and I wasn't sure if it was going to turn out any good (but it did). However, I don't always plan on having the target plates mounted, so it will still be visible some of the time.
    As I've said before, think of target plates as a sports jersey, really only needs to be one when competing.

Images

Last week I got my new legs all assembled and mounted onto the bot, everything looked pretty sweet! Here is a picture of it fully assembled:

I then finally started playing around with NUKE and got the basic export working, using 3DOF and ignoring the feet. Here is a video of it walking around with the base export:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VVrkAWk-GJI"]YouTube - Immortal Gets New Legs and Brains[/ame]

I found two issues with my design/construction from this test. I wasn't satisfied with the range of motion I had on my coax joints due to the servo design, and those same joints were also too flimsy due to the fact that I haven't closed the gap in the tube yet. So it is back to the drawing board for those brackets, and I have put Bioloid brackets back in for now. I then modified the code to add the 4th DOF into the IK solver. This was pretty simple as I just want the feet to always be vertical. I think this may be an advantage over 3DOF because it allows me to stick my legs straight out and still have a very good mechanical footing on the ground. Oh, and it looks sweet?

Here is the video of Immortal with its 4th DOF and a little slower walk with a longer stride:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fh0UKc2fnGk"]YouTube - Immortal Gets 4DOF Inverse Kinematics[/ame]

I plan on making a new gait so that the leg has 2 positions in the air, so that it doesn't push the bot backwards whenever the leg comes down like it currently does. This is how I did it on my mock up and it worked amazingly well, the leg essentially moves straight down to its final position. I don't think I would have understood the gait nearly as much if I never made the mock up, so I am very happy that I bought the Bioloid kit.

Once I get the walking somewhat closer to what I think it should look like, I will start working on the turret more and maybe even something to control it with.

Special thanks to Fergs for the help troubleshooting NUKE and helping me understand the code

Images

It has a very industrial look to it. I like!

Images

I added the turret and redid my gaits as the weight increase does effect gait performance. I ended up changing it to be a 8 step gait again more similar to the original NUKE export. I have decided to have 2 different codes, one with "show" walking and one for competition, since I don't want to sacrifice performance.

I have put together a video showing a bit of the early steps and the progress of the robot up to this point.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Sb_kI2bn2s"]YouTube - Presenting Immortal The Robot[/ame]

List of things to do:
    1. Figure out how to mount the camera and gun on the turret properly
    2. Mount some electronics so they aren't just hanging out of the bot.
    3. Get a control system working with joysticks (up to this point I have just been using the NUKE test drive tool)
    4. Acquire and mount Target Plates
    5. Get power hooked up to my camera and gun(s?)
    6. Make a hopper for my gun
    7. Optimize gait once everything is mounted.
    8. Many more...

Awesome job cire! I love it! Looks great, neat video, working well, what more could you ask for in a work-in-progress! +rep!

Stobs/Paul

Images

Well I haven't posted an update for a while, mainly because I didn't work on it at all during December and half of January due to the holidays and whatnot. But since then - I have been busy! Mostly with electronics, and I have to thank Jes, Fergs, Andrew, Gary, and DB for all helping me out with the various issues I've had in the last 3 weeks...

I spent a lot of time trying to come up with a solution to power my guns, at first I bought a battleswitch, but it went up in smoke (literally, but it was my fault). So then I gave the arbotix motor driver a try, but I accidentally shorted it when measuring a voltage, and it also went up in smoke (the rest of the Arbotix was fine). Also because I have one of my tank guns modified to shoot faster the motor driver probably wouldn't have worked anyways. So at this point I decided to make the circuit Jes created for driving motors, with using an adjustable voltage regulator so I could manually change the speed of the guns if I so felt the need to. This was the first custom circuit board I have ever made, and I ran into a bunch of challenges mainly in wiring things to the wrong places (Ok, that was all my issues) Luckily I did not fry anything though.

Close up picture of my motor driver board:

After I got the gun driver working, I added a few lines to my program to make it so my brand new Arbotix Commander v2.0 could shoot them by the press of a button. This was very simple, but I spent a lot of time on it because I had unplugged all of my ax12's and the program was checking the voltage off of them, and stopping the program because it couldn't find them.

I got my commander pre-assembled by Andrew himself because I was the first one to order one, although that is not typical. It was very easy to set up, all I had to do was plug in my paired xbee and My bot was driving around with joysticks. I decided to go with the commander because I do not want to have to bring my laptop with me every time I show it off to people, and the thing is rock solid.

I also made new hoppers because I wasn't satisfied with my previous attempt. I first modeled them up in solidworks as a sheet metal part and then printed out a 1:1 scale flat pattern. I taped this pattern to some 1/32" aluminum sheet and cut it out with tin snips, and bent it using my mini box pan brake. They came out a lot nicer then the previous ones. This method of manufacturing sheet metal parts is quite easy and does not require any expensive equipment - you can do it with a 5$ pair of tin snips and a printer.

Part cut out with tin snips:

Once I got the guns working, I rewired the bot so I could route everything inside rather then going outside. A few holes and a couple hours later I have this:

Organized Chaos (mounting the motor driver, wiring everything):

The Electronics are now mostly mounted! I just need to clean up the wiring for the power, rather then having it hang out the side of the bot. I also need to mount the scoring system, but I made sure there was room inside the bot to mount it, and also have 2 wires already setup coming off the same 5v regulator that powers my camera.

Here is the current state of Immortal:

I also have some video, but it is too late to post that tonight!

Images

Hi,

Your quad looks really great! Fun to see a 4 DOF crawler.
    Very well made.

Looking forward to see a video.
    Kåre Halvorsen aka Zenta
    ---------------------------------
    Zenta's YouTube channel
    Zenta's Blog
    Zenta's Instagram

Images

Very nicely done Cire..

Gary
    Team Maggot---Mechs. "Bheka" (retired), "Maggot Mk.3(A)"
    " Keep your stick on the ice ".... Red Green

Images

Awesome work! That thing looks like a tank!
    "If A is a success in life, then A equals x plus y plus z. Work is x; y is play; and z is keeping your mouth shut."
    -
    Einstein

Don't be a HelpVampire

Thread Information