Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Quad 4DOF Mech - Immortal

Images

Re: Quad 4DOF Mech - Immortal

I have posted a new video of Immortal walking around and shooting. The Commander makes it about 10x easier to control precisely, although I have a few modifications I want to do to the code still - fine control on the turret is a big thing I think I could use. I also need to buy a new wireless router so I can test driving it without looking at it directly.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vyeroAM77U0"]YouTube - Mech Warfare Robot - Immortal[/ame]

1. Paint Job? (deciding whether I should do this or not)
    2. Target panels - 50% done (mounting brackets, transponder location, and power line already wired)
    3. More Gait optimization
    4. Controls tweaking, additions (Fine turret control, more controls for controlling guns separately, changing walking style, walking speed.)
    5. Practice! (and reliability testing)
    6. Add more protective cable sheathes on exposed wires.
    7. Counter weight springs on shoulder joints (probably next year)
    8. Shield for Camera lens
    9. Feet pads
    10. more...

Images

All i can say is Wow!

Images

You have to bring this to the WV event!

Images

Very nicely done..

Gary
    Team Maggot---Mechs. "Bheka" (retired), "Maggot Mk.3(A)"
    " Keep your stick on the ice ".... Red Green

Images

Very impressive control and movement!
    Great work.
    Kåre Halvorsen aka Zenta
    ---------------------------------
    Zenta's YouTube channel
    Zenta's Blog
    Zenta's Instagram

Images

I really like it cire. It works well and came out nicely to look like the immortal from starcraft. Well done my friend.

Did you use Nuke/Pypose for the walking sequences? If so, how did you incorporate the 4 DOF legs?

As for paint, I dont know that you want to cover the aluminum up so much, I like the clean metal look personally, but the white bioloid brackets look a little out of place. I dont know what color they could be though, since the dye colors are somewhat limited. Maybe black...? Looking good though man. I can't wait til mine is ready like yours.

Congrats on getting it there!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by elaughlin View Post
    I really like it cire. It works well and came out nicely to look like the immortal from starcraft. Well done my friend.

Did you use Nuke/Pypose for the walking sequences? If so, how did you incorporate the 4 DOF legs?

As for paint, I dont know that you want to cover the aluminum up so much, I like the clean metal look personally, but the white bioloid brackets look a little out of place. I dont know what color they could be though, since the dye colors are somewhat limited. Maybe black...? Looking good though man. I can't wait til mine is ready like yours.

Congrats on getting it there!
    Thanks guys!

I use NUKE, to add the 4th degree I made it so the foot always stays vertical, which is as easy as adding the angles of the other 2 servo's in the same plane. I did have a few issues with the range of motion of my servo's due to my bracket size. The main advantage of the 4th degree is it looks cool, but it also makes it the foot is always in the same orientation when it touches the ground.. Which I think may be of some advantage.

As for paint, maybe I wont paint the aluminum. I have been meaning to replace the bioloid brackets with some new aluminum ones, I had some in my original design but they were not stiff enough without being welded shut.

Images

Do you have access to a TIG welder? When I first started thinking of making a Mech and saw Giger, I wanted an all aluminum robot that I would weld together. I am a proficient MIG welder and started practicing TIG welding for my robot, but scraped the idea, and stopped practicing. But TIG welding is a great skill to know. I would be really jealous if you had that equipment.

Images

Teaser:

Images

I have been working on a 3d printed gun shell for the defender, since Andrew got a 3d printer and there is definitely a need for easier to mount defender guns. The way I made it was by modeling all the individual parts, and then looking at how I could mount them within a gun. It turns out the defender pretty much has the optimum layout inside for the parts because otherwise they would interfere with each other.

The part itself isn't quite finished, I just need to add a few more structural ribs. I also need to print one to verify everything works properly - there is a lot of geometry in the part that requires a pretty high tolerance, which I am unsure if a hobby 3d printer can handle. Right now I have the holes that hold the shafts for the gears smaller then required, so they can be drilled out to the proper size afterward, they need to be a press fit. If a 3d printer can handle +/- .003" then I may not need to do that.

I am undecided where/or if i should add the mounts. I could make something that mounts directly onto a ax12, or onto a bioloid bracket, although I think everyone that uses this will probably want to mount it differently, so I hope people can just modify the model before printing to their needs.

Because of how it is modeled, it is pretty easy to change the outer shell as well to be more "cool" looking. If I print some to mount on my mech, I will be modifying the outside to be more mech like, the box makes it easier to mount in multiple configurations though.

Here are how the shells compare:

Note:
    I bought the defender I am using in early 2007 at Walmart, I do not know if other defenders have the same inside or not. If it does not, then the shell won't work!

Width
    Custom: 1.43"
    Original: 1.64"

Length: (not including barrel)
    Custom: 4.52"
    Original: Depends on how much you chop down your defender, no change if you chop it the most you can. (4.44")

Height:
    Custom: 2.39"
    Original: Again, depends on how much you chop down your defender. (mine was 3")

Weight:
    Custom: 77g (assuming ABS material)
    Original: I don't have a scale, I think it is less though due to the thick walls I put on. The original was only 22g before I put the walls on . I could probably reduce it a bit though.

Let me know if you have any thoughts on the design, where you would like to put mount holes especially.

Thread Information