Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Best way to build a "Gorilla" fighter?

Images

Re: Best way to build a "Gorilla" fighter?

I say why not try it and see. Go for it. In the least you'll learn why it doesn't work and still have enough servos to make a standard leg. At best you prove all of these people wrong and show them what is really up. (I'm serious and not being sarcastic)

Please keep updating this thread with your progress.

DB

2. Re: Best way to build a "Gorilla" fighter?

In order to make progress I'd have to have a robot to work with...It sounds like I've finally found a reason to look into getting that Bioloid kit...I'm simply trying to think about this logically - not that my logic could be flawed due to a lack of experience. But basically what I'm hearing people say is the biggest problem with Hagetaka was the wide hips. That's simple enough to take care of - just leave the hips in a standard humanoid configuration. The only other thing I'd be doing is adding a single extra dof to the legs and lengthening them a bit, which is something that people do all the time with the wrestling style robots. If anything I'll have to strengthen a few of the servos in the legs to take the extra weight, but that's still manageable.
    Last edited by rudukai13; 10-14-2010 at 11:42 PM.

Images

Re: Best way to build a "Gorilla" fighter?

Quote Originally Posted by rudukai13 View Post
    In order to make progress I'd have to have a robot to work with...It sounds like I've finally found a reason to look into getting that Bioloid kit...I'm simply trying to think about this logically - not that my logic could be flawed due to a lack of experience. But basically what I'm hearing people say is the biggest problem with Hagetaka was the wide hips. That's simple enough to take care of - just leave the hips in a standard humanoid configuration. The only other thing I'd be doing is adding a single extra dof to the legs and lengthening them a bit, which is something that people do all the time with the wrestling style robots. If anything I'll have to strengthen a few of the servos in the legs to take the extra weight, but that's still manageable.
    A single DOF, if not adding functionality or for a specific purpose, is just going to add slop and weight to your robot. I realize it's probably mostly an aesthetic change, but as I've personally learned through experience, practicality trumps aesthetics. Each millimeter you add to the length of a leg, each gram of weight, increases your load and lever length on the servos (hips and ankles are always weak points), so you want to keep it minimal. Adding an extra servo that isn't necessarily for anything aside from aesthetics will just make your job harder.

My advice to you- build a standard humanoid configuration, make that walk from a scratch built gait, and if you still want to experiment with adding an extra servo, you'll be wiser and more capable of doing so.

Che- This isn't an 'experienced builders vs underdogs' discussion here, nobody is trying to prove anyone wrong. This is us weighing in with real world experience in building walking robots and trying to give accurate, realistic advice.

4. Re: Best way to build a "Gorilla" fighter?

Could a parellel link mechanism be applied here to create an aesthetic change without adding too much weight or stress to the robot?

Thread Information