Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Best way to build a "Gorilla" fighter?

1. Best way to build a "Gorilla" fighter?

I guess the first question I should be asking here is whether or not a gorilla-styled robot would be allowed to compete in a kung-fu or wrestling competition. Not thinking of any one in particular, just in terms of what can be as closely described as the "generic" robot-wrestling rules. If that makes any sense at all I'll be shocked...

Let me describe what I mean by a gorilla robot. Basically a humanoid that was less proportioned after a human and more after a gorilla...I guess that was pretty self-explanatory actually. The basic idea would be large, powerful arms - most of the high-torque servos would be focused in the arms - and more minimalistic, lower-power legs, basically for added support. It would have the capability to stand up and walk on only two legs, but for the most part would move hunched over, using it's arms in a knuckle-walker type manner. This is where my question on it's legality for competition comes in...?

Images

Re: Best way to build a "Gorilla" fighter?

http://www.robots-dreams.com/files/r...ns_revised.pdf. Should be a link to some translated rob-one rules which might help you with your design.

As for a knuckle walker, there is something about any point other than the sole of the foot touching the ground being a "down"....that and a requirement that robots be able to take a few steps before attacking. Some other rules about the number of points of contact when attacking...that sort of stuff that would pretty much eliminate your bot from any comp following robo-one rules. check through the rules though, cause I might be wrong.

You could always start your own thing though...might be fun.

DB

3. Re: Best way to build a "Gorilla" fighter?

What would be a good way to formulate a new competition that would work for this type of bot? Something that can walk on four legs but has to attack on two...?

Not concerning the rules required for making it legal to compete, what would be the best way to go about constructing this type of robot with some sort of wrestling in mind?
    Last edited by rudukai13; 09-30-2010 at 02:27 AM.

4. Re: Best way to build a "Gorilla" fighter?

Hmm...Perhaps something like a "creature clash" event - a wrestling style event for the non-humanoids. Robots such as the one I'm describing, or hexapods, or even a snake. Basically wrestling for any kind of robot based on a non-human animal?

Images

One thing to think about. The longer your arms, the stronger your legs have to be in order to support them. You can get away with long light arms because even if you are supporting some of the weight with your arms, your arms will probably not support all of the weight unless your design is really creative. A lot of humanoids seam to have 3 or 4 degrees of freedom. Shoulder rotation shoulder lift, and elbow (some also have a gripper or hand rotation...All things being equal the legs have to spend time carrying the arms. Also the shoulder servos have to be able to lift the arms. Heavy arms mean you need stronger servos in the legs, and shoulders. If you are using dynamixel AX-12s or even AX-18s for example, then you probably can't get away with too much in the arms. which sort of shrinks your robot back to a standard humanoid. (check out gigerfu and Biayared-X for design ideas.) There was an attempt at this using AX-12 posted on the forum for a while. The legs ended up being too weak.

As for the competition, I would start with the robo-one rules, and strip out the rules that couldn't apply for your competition. Maybe add things like weight classes and such. How would you score this event? What constitutes a down? How would a snake styled robot be "downed"? what about wheeled robots? It gets really complicated when you introduce this sort of freedom.

I hope this is helpful.

DB

6. Re: Best way to build a "Gorilla" fighter?

Aren't there stronger servos that could be used to allow for larger arms? If I built this robot I'd want to stick to general gorilla-like proportions, in which case the arms would be significantly longer than the legs (in this way I'm thinking the legs would be fairly simple appendages, at most with three dof). I was thinking the arms would have to have about the same dof that legs usually have, around five or six each. This should allow for the most dexterous assembly possible, since most of the interaction that the robot will have with other bots/objects will be done through the arms.

As for competition, considering the stability of quads, I'm thinking that "downs" will need to be removed as the primary motivation of competition. Perhaps the goal of the match would be to push your opponent out of or off of the fighting ring? I think that would provide for a more exciting round as well - it would allow for more continuous action between the competitors. This would also remove the confusion of a "down" for a snake. As for wheeled robots, they wouldn't be allowed - what animal can you think of that uses wheels to move?

Images

There are plenty of stronger servos, but you pay for strength in a pretty linear fashion. The RX-24F has a fantastic performance-price point though.

8. Re: Best way to build a "Gorilla" fighter?

I'm assuming I wouldn't need to upgrade all of the servos in the arms. I'm thinking the shoulders and elbows would be the most important?

9. Re: Best way to build a "Gorilla" fighter?

After thinking it over I'd rather build something that had equal capability of moving bipedally and quadrupedally. I figure if I leave the legs as they would normally be for a biped, other than to strengthen them to counteract the additional weight of beefing up the arms for quad locomotion. By adding degrees of freedom to the arms, it'll allow for added dexterity in wrestling and help with moving on all fours. Plus if it's capable of refined movement on just two feet, it'd be capable of competing in organised events against other bipeds. It wouldn't be able to showcase it's ability to move as a quad as well, but at least it'd have a bit of an extra wow-factor...Thoughts?

Images

Check out biayared-X, and the original layered-X. I would add links, but Im using an iPad...

Thread Information