Trossen Force Sensor  Top Banner
Page 17 of 23 FirstFirst ... 7131415161718192021 ... LastLast

Thread: Meet Hi No Hikari

Images

Re: Meet Hi No Hikari

That is quite impressive, just make sure the helmet is always on so we don't have to see the horrors within.

Images

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2012-02-23_21-56-50_641.jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	55.6 KB 
ID:	3775

So almost two months is definately too long to go between posts on a project like this.

I've been really busy over the past few and have had little time to do much, I changed the arm position during the walking gates because the arms were getting damaged when she fell down. With the new ankles (Dual RX-64s) she doesn't fall down as much, but she is a big girl and falling strips the gears on her AX-18F shoulders faster than...well...you get the idea.

I sort of want to switch up to RX-24fs in the shoulders, but that would create a total wiring mess that I am not exactly ready to deal with, as well as a reworking of parts that I just got how I like them. (I think I'm saying I'll save that until after robogames, and next year.

For now I want to spend some serious time this Saturday working on making her walking gates cleaner and more stable.

I am having a few issues...For some reason I still can't get the ROS/Pypose deal working. I haven't been able to since I had to reformat my harddrive. I know I must have missed a step at some point, but it is sort of driving me crazy.

Also, I now have the camera installed and working with the FIT PC to send video...The problem is that the video and the xbee seam to have a lot of signal overlap. Though now that I think about it, I wonder if it isn't heat that is the issue. I'll have to play around with that later. Basically when both are running they both seam to slow down in responsiveness. But if I run one or the other things seam to work relatively well. I dropped the video down to 60/80 and 20 frames a second for testing purposes...Not high enough to use, but for a test seam fine. I'll probably end up boosting the resolution and dropping the frame rate tomorrow.

I am thinking that maybe I can switch to an external xbee antenna...

DB

Images

Pypose/Ros issues:

So Fergs fixed me up. I somehow missed the step where I reset the baud rate in the ROS sketch. Once I set that to 38400 pypose worked just fine. I used that to fix a couple things with Hikari's walking patterns. Her side step was a bit messy and didn't always result in her moving in the right direction. With Pypose working I was able to fix her sidestep in about 10 seconds.

The xbee issue is still there. I am now starting to think I may have somehow managed to damage the xbee antenna's. the range has deteriorated severely. I'll have to run some tests with another xbee to see if I can figure things out.

DB

Images

I've been distracted by FIRST Robotics for the past few months...Now that that is over I have been back at work on Hikari. I noticed while shooting some video that she was really tippy. I have adjusted her Mech Warfare gates so that she is a lot more stable. (Mostly shifting her weight forward and lowering her knees by just a tidge.) This also makes her much more stable while walking over BBs.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGKai...20AUAAAAAAABAA

I haven't had much of a chance to work with her via WiFi. I am currently using a USB webcam and broadcasting the video over an adhoc network. The video is round and shrouded because of the hole in the top of her head that the camera is peeping out through. I added a wide angle lens which has helped a lot though visibility is still a pretty big problem. I have the resolution set to 120 by 90 which seams to work relatively well. I can change the frame rate dynamically which is nice.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qAHZ1...5fAUAAAAAAAAAA

I'm hoping to add some sighting software over the next few days. I am going to use tracking software and the computer I look through. I can set it to output the XY coordinates of the tracked object. I'll work to match the XY coordinates of the target with known aiming points. I'll have to have 4...one point for each gun both standing and crouching.

DB
    Last edited by kgranat; 05-04-2012 at 01:25 PM.

Images

Darkback - Hikari looks really good. Not only her outside, but she looks battle ready. Your walking sequence looks good man, I know its a little slow, but your doing a biped, and it walks well. I didn't see any tip overs unless you edited the video a lot.

What are you using to put in tracking abilities?

And I think I am going to have the same view as yours, my camera is stuck within a little hole, and it is probably going to cut out some of my vision (ehh, it will seem more real life mech-ish).

Awesome DB. I am a fan of how far Hikari has come.

6. Re: Meet Hi No Hikari

Very nice project, just finished reading all 17 pages, hoping to post up my build project soon when ever I get back Brasil one day ( i have been here all of 2012 so far due to work).

I am intending to use my bioloid kit I got for my b-day last year as the base and luckily I have a 3d printer (printrbot) on the way to make up any parts I may need.

Humbly,
    ramos96

Images

Hi No Hikari and I had a great time at robogames. We had a great fight with Yoshihiro from robot japan and a team from Mexico...I love rockets.

Since I got back I have been busy making Hikari New feet. One strange issue is that she was having difficulty turning in the arena. She used a jump turn technique in which she jumped, shifted her feet, and then slid them to even again...Funny thing is at home she was able to use this method to turn on carpet...At Robogames she could only turn in one direction quickly, and in the other direction she turned really slowly. This was a bit frustrating.

I added bearings to the outside of each foot. In this way she can tip up her ankles and slide her feet on the bearings. She then drops down onto the flat part of her feet to slide back to even which makes her turn. The cool part is that I think I can make her skate on the bearings if I play my cards right.

Name:	2012-04-27_17-03-24_515.jpg 
Views:	116 
Size:	71.8 KB 
ID:	3975 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2012-04-27_23-43-25_945.jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	50.6 KB 
ID:	3976

Next up Hikari has gotten a lot heavier. In order to help her with her stand sequences I decided to put those RX-24fs that I have kicking around to use in her shoulders. One thing about metal brackets in her shoulders is that they have a tendency to bend when she falls over. Plastic brackets have been great because they flex and don't break. Problem being that RX-24/28 brackets are metal by default. I am getting these shoulder brackets printed. I am orienting the print so that the strands run the full length of the piece...I tried printing them normaly but they were too brittle in the uprights.

I also thickened them up and beefed up some parts of the brackets.

Name:	offsetbracketrx28r.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	19.0 KB 
ID:	3977

Here is what the chest will look like without the armor.

Name:	rx-24fchest.jpg 
Views:	135 
Size:	15.4 KB 
ID:	3978

I'm getting the chest parts cut on a waterjet by a friend. I may make metal shoulder brackets in addition to the plastic ones if the plastic ones don't work out.

DB

Images

I got the shoulder brackets printed...The first set were printed with the grain running the wrong way and snapped pretty easily. The set I am currently using were printed on their sides so that the grain runs the length of the part instead of across it. The part seams a bit stronger printed this way. I am going to have a set cut out of metal also. The original set of shoulder brackets were made of metal. At the time Hikari was a whole lot les stable. The metal brackets got bent every time she fell over.

I'm having them cut out of thicker aluminum with bends running the length of the sides which should firm things up a lot.

Name:	2012-05-02_16-36-37_844.jpg 
Views:	119 
Size:	43.2 KB 
ID:	3980

DB

Images

Name:	projector1.jpg 
Views:	130 
Size:	68.3 KB 
ID:	4071 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	projector2.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	38.4 KB 
ID:	4072

I've always wanted to do more than one thing with my bots. In this case, Hikari is being modified for experiments in robot human interaction. Mostly I'm workng on a "robot opera" of sorts in which Hikari will be one of three robot performers. To that end each of the three robots will have a pico projector mounted somewhere in or on it. In Hikri's case I roughed this shoulder mount using a bioloid bracket. I'm hoping that falling won't crush it.

I'm going to be using the fit-PC in her chest to have her play short images and video's through the projector doing live video mixing. In any case, here is what it looks like with the lights on.

I am currently waiting for the HDMI cable that I'll use to connect it. I'll try to get some pics tonight showing what it looks like with the lights off.

DB

Images

So Hikari is going to be one of three charaters in a robot opera based on the Oedipus greek tragidies. I'm starting with King Laius and ending with Antigone (played by Hi No Hikari.)

I will be building two more PC / Arbotics based robots for this and I'm running a kick start to help fund it.

Here is the link!

DB's Kickstarter

It is a techno Operaelectronic. Here is a link to the background music I have put together so far. I will post software to this thread as it gets written.

DB

Thread Information