Thread: Quad wrestling competition?

1. Quad wrestling competition?

Just wondering how many people might be interested in a competition for quads that is similar to Robo-One wrestling matches. The point would be to either turn your opponent over - rendering it unable to move (this could be the equivalent of a "down") - or knocking your opponent out of the ring. I'd think this would challenge builders to create new manners in which to construct the robot in order for it to "attack" and try to turn the other robot over. If anyone's interested I could probably come up with a rough draft of a set of rules fairly quickly...?

2. Re: Quad wrestling competition?

I don't really have time to flesh out a real draft of the rules but I'll try and explain it as simply as possible.

Creature Clash; Non-Humanoid Wrestling

The Competitors:

Basically you could enter two kinds of robots into the competition; Either a traditional quad, or a snake. I considered allowing hexapods, but they're entirely too large and stable to have any hope of being able to overturn one.

Quads - The quads would be just what you'd expect - a four legged walking robot. However, there'd need to be rules on how they could be constructed. I was thinking requiring that each bot have designated front legs and designated rear legs woud be one way to avoid the normal insectoid quads. This competition would be looking for more of the mammalian-inspired quads, for example Innerbreed's Iron Wolf (http://forums.trossenrobotics.com/showthread.php?t=3938). Builders would also be allowed to construct one "end-effector" on the designated "head" of the robot. Something like a simple gripper could simulate jaws, or an articulate arm would work for someone wanting to build an elephant-inspired competitor. Obviously there would have to be more specific rules regarding foot size, overall size, etc. but this is just a rough idea.

Snakes - This is where it gets interesting. I wanted to allow for a little bit of variety among the competitors, and since hexapods were out I figured this would be a way to hand builders more of a challenge if they want it. These would be relatively simple to construct, much more difficult to effectively program and control in a match. They'd only be allowed to be constructed of an elongated "body", while allowed an end-effector on the designated "head", again to simulate jaws. Snakes wouldn't be allowed to have wheels though - they'd have to move only by maneuvering their bodies against the ground to effect movement.

The Arena:

A simple flat, circular platform raised about 3" off the ground with a 6' diameter.

Matches:

Matches would be fairly similar to humanoid wrestling, where the goal is to either knock your opponent off it's feet, or push it off of the arena. Either of these actions would result in a "down", and in order to win one robot would simply have to "down" it's opponent a certain number of times.

Downs:

Quads - A down for a quad would be when any part of the robot other than the foot touches the arena as a result of an attack from the opponent. A down would also be incurred when a robot is pushed off of the arena by it's opponent.

Snakes - The rules for a down for a snake have to be a bit different than a quad, considering it's entire body could be in contact with the arena at any one time. As well, since snake robots are decidedly at a disadvantage against the quads, I figured it'd only be fair to give them a bit of a handicap in this area. Therefore, the only way for a snake to be "down" is for more than 50% of it's body length to be pushed off of the arena at any one time.

So that's an extremely simplified version of what I imagine the basic rules would be for this kind of event. If anyone has any suggestions that they can make or would like to discuss this idea further, I'd be happy to hear any thoughts or opinions.

Images

Re: Quad wrestling competition?

Ok, so I know I'm not supposed to play with other people's toys...but here goes.

Think about how you think your event will progress robotics in general. It may sound trivial, but Mech warfare led to the arbotix as well as an android phone based robot. It progressed IK, and has even led to PC based quads that have nothing to do with Mech warfare anymore.(issy heavy?) Wireless video is pretty well figured out, as well as what works best for wireless communication in a noisy environment (zigbee)

Another issue is that robots made for this event will only be eligible for this event. Not hard when the event is going to take up your whole weekend of competition, or an event that is open to a large number of people...but if its just going to be a few quick matches and the bot is hard to make, then it won't generate as much interest. Humanoids have a large number of events that they can participate in for this very reason. Each additional event attracts people that may not be interested in the others.

Finally you may find that you need to open this up to a larger group. Snakes are cool, but hard, and there aren't many reasons to make a quad other then mech warfare in which case lizard or insect styled quads seam to dominate for a reason.

So here is a proposed solution or two.

Centaur fighting...allow 6 limbed creations with two arms for wrestling 4 legs for walking...you could even have an 8 limbed class (hex based centaur. Have the qualifications involve things that may in the future be useful.

Or, invite all of the people who have mechs already to take the guns off and add an arm or two for your wrestling event. so...mech warfare with mele weapons...The robots would have to hit each others target plates with an arm based weapon or, push the opponent out of the ring. That way you already have a built in base of builders, and a scoring system.

If someone wanted you could open things up to allow snakes.

As for the ring, use an established ring format. A lot of people have Robo-one rings already made. Others have robot sumo rings. I would suggest you choose one and go with that so that you have a base already in existence.

Hope these suggestions are helpful.

DB

Images

2 equally powerful quad-walkers running into eachother just sort of flail around and get stuck. Either that or strip out gearsets. Flipping one over would be an extreme feat.

Not trying to rain on anyone's parade, but I've built multiple crawlers and have had them collide... the results are less than spectacular.

Expectations of what these robots can do is different once you've actually built one and had hands on experience with them.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Tyberius View Post
    2 equally powerful quad-walkers running into eachother just sort of flail around and get stuck. Either that or strip out gearsets. Flipping one over would be an extreme feat.
    Yeah...I was thinking the same thing...thats why I was thinking of using scoring plates and hitting them using weapons of some sort. Seams like it would be fun if you could get it to work.

One question for rudukai...What is the aversion to doing something that has already been established? Seams like a better place for starting out. Build a "regular" robot, identify the challenges, and then try to build something more complex that makes sense.

I would think that you could start with an arbotix based quad mech, and once you have that working try to modify it for the new competition...

Or, go with a bioloid humanoid, and once you have that working try to modify it into a gorilla fighter...I guess the piont is crawl before you walk before you fly....but most of all...its time to start making something.

Hope this helps.

DB

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Tyberius View Post
    2 equally powerful quad-walkers running into eachother just sort of flail around and get stuck. Either that or strip out gearsets.
    I have to agree, having worked on several quads (and being *that guy* who was pushing other robots around during the Mech Warfare rumble this year), I think such an idea is going to be very tough on equipment -- stalled servos tend to go poof -- especially if they get snagged.

-Fergs

7. Re: Quad wrestling competition?

I actually like Darkback's suggestion of melee mech competitions...As he said it'd be much easier to implement since it would basically just be adding a new class to an existing competition. Plus that way there would be a larger group of people willing and able to build something for the competition?

Thread Information