Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where can I find a DIY kit to make a robotic hand?

1. Where can I find a DIY kit to make a robotic hand?

Well, I'm studying computer engineering but I also really love Robotics and Electronics, even if I'm just a really new beginner.
    I really learn things by doing projects, so I'm really interesting in making my own robotic hand (that can move electrically, buttons, sensors, etc.) before deciding to really go into this section also. (That's how I went to programming, by doing a CMS in php, it was very hard even if some people can do it in 3-4 hours, I was with 0 knowledge).

I have found a few things, but wow, this category is really expensive. My budget is around $120.00 for this project.

I have seen some amazing robotic hands, that I wish I could do in the future, such as:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLqq5...ayer_embedded#!
    I really LIKE THAT SO MUCH, I would even invest my whole salary on it if it was enough.(Talking about the first link)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2tXN...eature=related
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e2WEVo9YzVE

I know isn't easy, but please something easy to understand (as easy as possible).

Thanks A LOT.

Images

Re: Where can I find a DIY kit to make a robotic hand?

A hand by itself!? Probably not going to find a kit for that specifically.

http://www.trossenrobotics.com/store...bby-Servo.aspx

That should link you to type of servos that are in the first project you posted. I would just copy the project that you found.

You will also need a servo controller.

SSC-32

You can get the rest of the materials from your local hardware store for not too much money, and should be able to run the whole thing off of a 9-volt battery.

Good luck, and let us know how it goes.

DB

Hi SuperRobot, welcome to the forum! What do you want the hand to be able to do? A budget of $120 would very likely preclude the acquisition of servos that would be able to manipulate much weight at all, or generate much pressure for that matter either. If you're looking to "simply" mimic movement, then you could consider using micro-sized servos (enclosed linkage as one possible source). I probably don't have much more experience in robotics than yourself - and that which I have gained has been strictly through web surfing and magazine reading, so controlling those would be better answered by others here, but that could be a start for you. Good luck with your project and keep us posted!

Stobs/Paul

4. Re: Where can I find a DIY kit to make a robotic hand?

Quote Originally Posted by darkback2 View Post
    A hand by itself!? Probably not going to find a kit for that specifically.

http://www.trossenrobotics.com/store...bby-Servo.aspx

That should link you to type of servos that are in the first project you posted. I would just copy the project that you found.

You will also need a servo controller.

SSC-32

You can get the rest of the materials from your local hardware store for not too much money, and should be able to run the whole thing off of a 9-volt battery.

Good luck, and let us know how it goes.

DB
    Well, sorry for the extremely noob question but... Do you have any step by step tutorial of this after I get the parts? I don't really know what are the functions of those parts to be honest.

@Stobs
    Well, I would pay a lot more if I'm able to do the first one, without a lot of knowledge, I mean.
    If there is a tutorial or something to do the first video, It would be amazing, I would love it, and I know I would pay a lot more.
    Do you have any estimated cost of the first one?

Thanks

Images

the parts I linked are the parts you need. Your probably not going to find a specific tutorial so here is a bit of what you need to know.

A servo is a motor capable of moving to a specific position. The first link in my post is for servos. They will cost about $20 a piece. For the hand you linked you will need 5.

The second thing I posted is a board that tells the servos what position to go to. It will cost about $40

so within spitting distance of your price point without the other hardware.

You need to search for info on servos, and the SSC-32 is pretty big on the lynxmotion forum.

you may want to start with a more established project to get a stronger feel for the basics.

the boe bot is within shooting distance of your price range, and you could re-use almost all of the electronics when you go on to build the hand you are interested in.

Course you could always read my book. ;p

Hope this helps.

6. Re: Where can I find a DIY kit to make a robotic hand?

Thanks, are you talking about the first link I showed?
    Do you know what parts I need and an estimated cost?

Also about your book, do you have any iphone version?

Does it explains important and basic things I should know about robot? Or is just explanation of what are robots, what they are used to, etc.

THANKS A LOT.

Images

the stuff I posted = first link

yes there is a downloadable version, not sure if it is pdf or kindle...I haven't downloaded it.

To be honest, its a good book, but probably won't meet your needs because you would only be interested in chapters 4, 5, and 6....its more of a story about robots that teaches about them through the story.

You do need to do a bit more background research on your own though, as in knowing what does what.

I posted links that should help with that in another post in this thread.

While mildly out of date the following link has some resources that might be of use to you...

Robotics

And also you may want to stop by your local big book store/library and check out some of their books on robotics.

Finally, you say that you learn by doing. So here is my advice. The hand you want to make might not be a good first project. It is a reasonable second project, but without doing the basic research and knowing what does what you won't get very far. I highly recommend your first project be the boebot I linked before. It will teach you everything you need to know in order to do the second project the hand you want to make.

Keep us posted on your progress, and good luck.

DB

8. Re: Where can I find a DIY kit to make a robotic hand?

Yes, If you say that with beobot I would learn a lot and make the hand project easier then I will start there, what I'm afraid of is that I get out of cash for my second project, since the beobot is $160.00 without shipping and taxes.

Also, will I program it myself? To be honest, I'm not looking for an already made robot which I will just have to put all the pieces together.

And thanks for your GREAT help.

BTW, I hadn't realized that Trossen carried a micros otherwise I would've certainly referenced them here.

10. Re: Where can I find a DIY kit to make a robotic hand?

You may find the Society of Robots tutorial on building a $50 robot from scratch a very useful starting point with zero experience in robotics. It gives a good introduction to pretty much all the fundamentals of robot creation and most of the components you'll buy for the robot can be reused on future projects.

Thread Information