Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: i want to start...

1. i want to start...

hi everybody im new to the robotic world and i dont know where to start i am good in mechanic but i dont know how to program a bot...what project should i start with can you send me link?

thank you

Re: i want to start...

Coming from a newbie's perspective myself, I'd ask what do you want to accomplish and what is your budget? Another one to ask is do you have any time limitations, i.e., do you want to have it working within x-number of months, or you'll just work on it as you can?

Paul

3. Re: i want to start...

Also what's your skillset? I'm an experienced programmer (it's my day job) but don't know much about electronics or mechanical construction and this has definitely had an effect on what I could accomplish starting out. One of the nice things about robotics is how multidisciplinary it is

Images

Dear monsieurpo,

In addition to what others said, I would encourage you to think a little bit past the "start" question.
    Who do you want to be in robotics?
    I wrote a blog post recently trying to address that question: http://forums.trossenrobotics.com/blog.php?b=273

5. Re: i want to start...

Hi:

You can give http://diyrobots.webng.com a try.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Al1970 View Post
    Hi:

You can give http://diyrobots.webng.com a try.
    That has to be the most eye-bleeding awful website I have seen in years. 1997 called and they want their website back (and their micro's).

My recommendation: Pick up an Arduino and an handful of sensors/breadboard/jumpers, a servo, and some LEDs. Teach yourself to program, you won't get far in robotics without at least some basic understanding of code. Once you have a solid grasp of how to make things blink/buzz/whir, put it on a simple 2 wheeled platform, grab some IR sensors, and start to program it to react to objects autonomously. Crawl before you walk, etc.

http://www.trossenrobotics.com/c/arduino-robotics.aspx
    Last edited by DresnerRobotics; 11-19-2010 at 10:36 AM.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Tyberius View Post
    That has to be the most eye-bleeding awful website I have seen in years. 1997 called and they want their website back (and their micro's).

My recommendation: Pick up an Arduino and an handful of sensors/breadboard/jumpers, a servo, and some LEDs. Teach yourself to program, you won't get far in robotics without at least some basic understanding of code. Once you have a solid grasp of how to make things blink/buzz/whir, put it on a simple 2 wheeled platform, grab some IR sensors, and start to program it to react to objects autonomously. Crawl before you walk, etc.

What Tyb said x 1000. The arduino is a great place to start. It will teach you the basics of C and give you a bit of experience with electronics.
    "If A is a success in life, then A equals x plus y plus z. Work is x; y is play; and z is keeping your mouth shut."
    -
    Einstein

Don't be a HelpVampire

Images

Quote Originally Posted by monsieurpo View Post
    hi everybody im new to the robotic world and i dont know where to start i am good in mechanic but i dont know how to program a bot...what project should i start with can you send me link?

thank you
    Hey,

If you don't know how to program at all, you may want to consider a robot kit. This way the mechanical parts are all worked out for you, and you can focus on programming. Depending on your budget I would consider the lego NXT kit which starts out being programmed in labview, but you can branch out and program it in other languages. It also gives a good feel for sensors and actuators.

Another way to go would be the Bioloid. THis is a much more expensive kit than the lego one, but can grow a lot more and gives you more options. YOu can couple this with the arbotix controller later to grow even further.

On a more basic level is the Boebot. This is a relatively simple kit, and gives the user some basic programming skills.

The key is don't bite off more than you can chew. There is nothing worse than spending a lot of money on a kit and ending up with something cool that sits on your shelf. The kits mentioned above should be pretty streight forward, and have a ton of users and help available online.

I hope this helps

DB

Images

Personally I'm not a fan of the BOE-Bot because it teaches BASIC. If you want to build one machine for a specific purpose them BASIC is fine. If you want to increase your skills and move on to more complex machines the you really need to learn C. All of this reminds me of a quote I read a long time ago:

“It is practically impossible to teach good programming style to students that have had prior exposure to BASIC. As potential programmers, they are mentally mutilated beyond hope of regeneration.”
    (E. W. Dijkstra)"
    "If A is a success in life, then A equals x plus y plus z. Work is x; y is play; and z is keeping your mouth shut."
    -
    Einstein

Don't be a HelpVampire

10. Re: i want to start...

you could start by having look at simple robots like solar robots(beam-bots)

Thread Information