Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 101617181920

Thread: The Open Lidar Project - Hack the Neato XV-11 Lidar for a $200 Bounty!

1. Re: The Open Lidar Project - Hack the Neato XV-11 Lidar for a $200 Bounty!

Quote Originally Posted by gallamine View Post
    Xevel, you should post this to the RoboDynamics blog post about the $200 prize for implementing SLAM with the sensor: http://robodynamics.com/2010/12/200-...ect-with-slam/
    Haha, once again, pwned by some details of the prize wording.
    I relied on the description at the original link from RobotBox, yet there is more to it than just having SLAM working and showing it doing so while moving from A to B.
    A matterof punctuation and inattention I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by RoboDynamics
    The robot must be able to map (with or without human assistance) but then be able to take command to navigate autonomously from Point A to Point B within the created map.
    Last edited by Xevel; 12-10-2010 at 07:17 AM.
    ---
    Personal blog: http://xevel.org
    USB2AX documentation: http://xevelabs.com

Re: The Open Lidar Project - Hack the Neato XV-11 Lidar for a $200 Bounty!

Ugh! I didn't realize that Fred @RoboDynamics clarified it in that way. I guess it makes sense, but no fun to not have that originally stated. Unfortunately his tweet was semi ambiguous. How hard will it be too add that in?

Images

Originally Posted by RoboDynamics
    The robot must be able to map (with or without human assistance) but then be able to take command to navigate autonomously from Point A to Point B within the created map.
    It almost sounds like they want you to use ROS' navigation stack and rviz on you robot.

4. Re: The Open Lidar Project - Hack the Neato XV-11 Lidar for a $200 Bounty!

Has anyone actually hooked up the Xbee? would all I need is an xbee module and an adapter... like the adafruit xbee adapter? just hook that up the serial header? and is there a +5v point on the board? Thanks!

-Rob

Rob,

I have used XBEE transceivers in the past and there is no reason you couldn't hook one up set to 115,200 and stream data from the LIDAR module.

-Hash

6. Re: The Open Lidar Project - Hack the Neato XV-11 Lidar for a $200 Bounty!

Hash79,
    Thanks! I am actually wanting to communicate with the entire bot, so I'll be using the header on the board itself. I am creating an interface through my Home automation computer so I can control the XV-11 via voice, and others... such as when high traffic is sensed during the day it will acutally run at night... if not much traffice throughout the day... it may vaccuum once every other day... other things will come into play, such as ensuring everyone is asleep for the night before it runs so that it's not interferring with anyone (as long as the noise doesn't bother anyone at night... and for us it doesn't). Thanks for all the help you guys provide on the forums!

-Rob

Rob,

That's a great idea! I'm sure you can find some room inside the XV-11 to hide the module as well. Just FYI some functionality is not available via the on-board header such as readings from the LIDAR module. For what you are trying to do though I don't think any of the missing functionality will be a problem.

Post your project details on here for us to check out!

-Hash

Thread Information