Thanks, glad you liked it!
I've just made a new video of MorpHex for demonstrating the rolling feature. One thing you may notice is that MorpHex rolls more or less in a curved direction instead of a straight forward direction. This is caused by the asymmetric design; the upper sphere section vs. the lower section. I'm about to get my hands on some more of those high torque servos and I'm thinking of making MorpHex more symmetrical again. Actually, that was my original plan:
I've found a way around the wiring issue but I might want to go for a totally different leg design too. At this moment I'm not sure.
Anyway, here is the new video:
I hope you enjoyed it! I'm also using this video to promote my April contest entry at the Boca Bearings 2012 Innovation Competition. The video with the most votes will be announced winner at the beginning of the following month. Out of all monthly winners the jury of Boca Bearings will select a grant prize winner who will receive $10000 in cash. The two follow up winners will receive their own Makerbot 3D printer.
To be the monthly winner I need your vote.
If you want to see more advanced robots coming out of my hands leave your vote here. Every vote is highly appreciated! Thanks
Real cool progress! i just saw it featured on engadget, nice.
cant wait for the next version (for its better rolling capabilities)
keep it up!!
edit; oh and voted for you
Last edited by Suicidal.Banana; 04-03-2012 at 05:50 AM.
This thing vaguely reminded me of the strange shape-changing tetrahedral thing that killed someone in the (otherwise not-recommended) "Demon seed"
Zenta, as always a crazy awesome project. I was wondering how well you'd be able to make that thing rule, but I should have never second guessed your programming. That is amazing.
Voted for you on the boca bearings contest. Awesome work sir. Love it, and want it.
Vote confirmed - hope it goes well for you Zenta
Sadly it's been a while since I posted anything about my progress on Morphex. Currently I'm working on the code. Yesterday I finished servo calibration (a real pain). The hardware work is 99,9% done. Only need to make a holder for the servo power switch.
The MKII version contain 31 servos. Yeah, I know it's crazy. The weight is heavy, over 5kg I think. I'm using 1x 5645, 6x 5980 and 24x 5990 servos. I've done some tests and can confirm that it is still able walk and transform into a ball and back, but I'm pushing the limits of what the servos can handle.
I took this picture about a half year ago:
At that point (summer 2013) I was done with the hardware modifications. Completely new tibia sections for all the 12 sphere sections. As you can see my workshop was a mess.
I'm sorry I didn't take more pictures during the making process. Here is a picture of the new 2 DOF upper sphere section:
You are probably thinking there is way to much metal and you are probably right. But making all parts by hand and having little time for everything made me do it simple. I could probably drill a lot of holes on each part, actually I did that on one section for testing. I guess I've to learn CAD one day..
Hope to post more soon about my progress.
Meanwhile, here is a new video I made yesterday. I thought it was about time to make a channel intro video on youtube.
Btw, I've decided to move more over to Robotis servos in my future projects. I've just ordered a couple of MX-64 for testing, a spare AX18-A and several spare gear train. On my PhantomX one of the AX18's broke the gears.
-Having fun with robots! (again)
Last edited by Zenta; 3 Weeks Ago at 09:12 AM.
Great to see you are having some fun
Can't wait to see what you come up with next for a project! It was great seeing all your robots powered up in the background.
There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)