Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: MorpHex, a sphere formed morphing hexapod

Smile Re: MorpHex, a sphere formed morphing hexapod

Quote Originally Posted by Zenta View Post
    Hi,

Its been awhile since I posted anything about MorpHex. I've not got much time for it either. Sadly this has to be a longterm project.
    Anyway, I just wanted to post some minor updates. I've added two decks (acrylic, I'm not sure to be honest) that are going to hold the electronics on one side and the battery on the other side:

Still a lot of work left. But thats kinda good thing since I'm strongly considering to build a humanoid using the 5990's, meaning that I've not wasted to much time.

Its much easier to work on MorpHex when you have a strong stand:

One big challenge was to guide the power wires from the battery from one side to the other due to all the gears and the outher (variable) body parts. I solved it by carefully drill a hole through the battery-deck and inserting two brass tubes:

The power wires are going to be guide through these brass tubes. The tubes protects the wires from being crushed between all the gears. That would be very messy using LiPo power.. :lol:
    Picture from the battery-deck:

Talking about LiPo. I'm considering to apply the 5990's directly to the LiPo without any regulators. So I'm using some self-made power distributors, the principle is very easy. Only ground and signal are connected to the SSC-32.
    A picture of the power distributors:

Take it easy , Zenta. No need for haste.
    This project of yours brings a whole new level of complexity and surely spends a lot of time.
    Anyway, just keep us updated for the next improvements.
    Cheers

Images

Re: MorpHex, a sphere formed morphing hexapod

Amazing work man, good job

Images

Thumbs up Re: MorpHex, a sphere formed morphing hexapod

Zenta, I always wonder if there is some sort of psychic link between us. I've actually been modeling something like this recently, although my approach was no where as sophisticated as yours, I wanted a hex that can roll around like a ball too!

Awesome work and craftsmanship as always, I actually put my variant on hold since I caught the octopod fever...

I saw your other post saying you were going to use 31 servos, I'm up to 30 on my octopod, been thinking about adding two more to completely fill and use the SSC-32 to its capacity...

MorpHex looks excellent!
    ---
    Sleep? You don't need sleep...

---

Images

Hi,

Sorry for not posting enough info in this forum. But I've done some changes to Morphex lately. For reducing total weight I'm using simple 3 DOF legs not the double femur/tibias. Instead I plan to mount 6 servos on the top deck for manipulating the six upper half spheres.

Anyway, here is a video that demonstrate how the morphing part (variable body size) work.

Much more work left, so far so good..

Quote Originally Posted by "TomChang
    Awesome work and craftsmanship as always, I actually put my variant on hold since I caught the octopod fever...

I saw your other post saying you were going to use 31 servos, I'm up to 30 on my octopod, been thinking about adding two more to completely fill and use the SSC-32 to its capacity..
    Thanks!
    I'm using a single ARC-32 board only, and I'm going to use 25 servo, not 31 servos as planned.
    Kåre Halvorsen aka Zenta
    ---------------------------------
    Zenta's YouTube channel
    Zenta's Blog
    Zenta's Instagram

Images

Even if that was just the complete bot, that would be ridiculously awesome... The contracting center is mesmerizing. Final product is going to be amazing...

Great work

How does the IK work on that? Do you just ignore the fact the body is expanding and the end positions are lost or do you figure that on the fly?

Images

Thanks Gertlex!

Quote Originally Posted by Quantum View Post
    How does the IK work on that? Do you just ignore the fact the body is expanding and the end positions are lost or do you figure that on the fly?
    The IK work fine. But there are some math to do, simple trig (law of cosine). The input value is the angle of the inner body servo. Then you've to calc the new bodyradius and a new coxaoffset. When you have the body radius its pretty easy to find the new body dimensions (coordinates) for a circular body.

After that you need to adjust the positions of the feet corresponding to the new body radius. In the walking gait you can re-set the inital positions when the leg is lifted.
    Kåre Halvorsen aka Zenta
    Zenta's YouTube channel
    Zenta's Blog
    Zenta's Instagram

Images

Hi,

A new update about my MorpHex project. I didn't have time to take some good quality pictures because I'm working with some gardening and renovating stuff that occupies my "photo studio". Some workshop pics with bad lighting was my only option last evening/night.

Anyway, I've been very eager to get the lower sphere sections mounted onto the legs. So eager that I selected a rather easy way by using some counter sink white nylon screws. I'm planning to use three screws on each sphere part and mount it to the ASB-04 tibia bracket. So far I'm using only two for testing. It was a bit tricky to align the hole for drilling, so I used a LED as a lamp behind the sphere part:

Already drilled and just plugged in the screws for holding it in place when doing the next leg (sorry for the blurry picture):

Btw, I'm also planning to reinforce each sphere part. I did just a simple test, the final result will be better. The plastic material is Poly Carbonate. By mounting a rail (or what should we call it?) on each side the part gets more rigid, the rail also make sure that the neighbor leg/sphere part doesn't overlap each other in sphere mode.

---

Here are some pictures of MorpHex in action with all six sphere parts mounted.

Fully extended body:

Ready for transforming into sphere mode:

Transforming:

Sphere mode! As you can see there are some small adjustments to do, and I've already done some improvements today to get them even better aligned. but so far, so good.

Normal body height for walking, the legs have very much free space for moving around without any conflict.

Still a lot of work left. I'll start on the upper sphere section when I'm satisfied with the lower section.

Btw: Did I forgot to tell you that it look pretty cool watching it in action?
    Kåre Halvorsen aka Zenta
    Zenta's YouTube channel
    Zenta's Blog
    Zenta's Instagram

9. Re: MorpHex, a sphere formed morphing hexapod

Hi Zenta

Nice to see some more work been done on this project. I have been hoping to see some more progress with this build. Its looking grate and i cant wate to see its final look. I have looked at all your Robot builds to date that i know of and if i may say very nice work. I respect people that put the time in and most of all produce high qulity work from hobbys. It give's the rest of us a standed to try and mach.

Thanks for your time

Garry
    Last edited by Kar; 07-13-2011 at 08:07 AM. Reason: in

That is so cool.

Like I said before your a mechanical artist.

Cant wait to see it finished.

Thread Information