Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Mini WiFi Encoder

Images

Mini WiFi Encoder

So you guys can thank elaughlin for finding this one...

HH9800M-S Mini Video Encoder

I searched high and low to find a compact, small wifi encoder for use in Mech Warfare and was unable to find anything, but this looks to be it. I just got the sample in today so haven't had a chance to test it out yet, but given the tiny size of it (60x60mm), it appears to have huge potential for Mech Warfare usage.

So what does this mean to you guys? Why is it important? Rather than being stuck with hacking apart Wifi IP Cameras, this enables us to use any standard analog camera (that means tiny pinhole ones, wide-angle lens ones, etc) and connect them to this board separately. This opens up mounting options considerably, because your wifi board and camera can be in two different places, and the camera can be as small as a 0.5" cube (I've actually seen smaller). Wifi encoders also tend to have higher performance than low end Wifi Cameras; they have a dedicated Arm processor and usually 32-64 megs of ram running a linux based video server. This means higher framerates, lower latency, and higher resolution.

Keep in mind, these are generally a more expensive route to go. The unit above retails for around $200 and a decent camera to add to it will run $25-80. So, it's about double the price of a Trendnet IP-110, but should provide considerably more performance and flexibility in mounting.

I'll post video and my review once I get it setup.
    Last edited by DresnerRobotics; 11-30-2010 at 06:25 PM.

Images

Re: Mini WiFi Encoder

In comparison, here was the old one I used in Hagetaka that was the smallest I could find:

This measured about 9x5"

Images

Whoa, this looks really REALLY sweet. I took a look at the specs, and I only found an "RTSP" protocol for the video stream. I was hoping to see MPEG4/MJPEG streaming. I'd love to hear back on how well it works and what codec options are supported.

4. Re: Mini WiFi Encoder

RTSP is a protocol for negotiating start/stop of media playback rather than a video compression protocol; I would imagine the actual video stream is in fact MPEG or something of the sort. I'd guess you can point VLC at it with the appropriate incantation and get a video feed.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by jotheberlock View Post
    RTSP is a protocol for negotiating start/stop of media playback rather than a video compression protocol; I would imagine the actual video stream is in fact MPEG or something of the sort. I'd guess you can point VLC at it with the appropriate incantation and get a video feed.
    I figured as much. You'd think they'd go into more detail on the codecs since they were very detailed with every other specification. I'd also assume some flavor of mpeg but I guess we'll have to wait on the writeup.

Images

I can't wait to figure out how to use this thing. I also need to find a good wide angle lens to use. It fit perfectly inside Draco_08.

Images

Good find. It is tiny! Lets hope it works well.

I haven't found this listed for sale in the Trossen store, nor on the web in general; does TR intend to carry it?

Paul

9. Re: Mini WiFi Encoder

I'm looking at this seriously for a totally different application - any word on the latency it introduces? Thanks!

-Mike

Images

I've been so slammed with the holidays I haven't had a chance to test this yet.

Thread Information