Thread: W.A.S.P.

W.A.S.P.

I've been a fan of mini Hex's for awhile. This project is based of my earlier mini hex.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eddcCu5X9iM"]YouTube - Propeller Powered Micro Hex[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZpNqUuTJNI"]YouTube - W.A.S.P[/ame]

I did make minor dimensional changes and tried to make it look like a wasp. The core IK software is the same.

The hexapod is controller with a Parallax Propeller with a board I built for standard servos. I've included a spec sheet for the board and the software that runs this bot.
    I milled the parts out of aluminum that varies from .032 to .09 in thickness. The body consists of three pieces to give it a some what 3d appearance. It allowed for the painting to come out better than I expected. But in the end not a hugh fan of painting, anodizing is the way to go. Lots of chipping with paint and tons of touch ups but I didn't have enough time to send it out for anodizing.

The whole bot is made from 6061 aluminum. Milled on a mill that I converted from a standard milling machine. I had custom spacers made for the 2-56 screws. The spacers available would have interfered with the servo wires on the legs(the coxa area).

Ive included software that is based of/ported from the phoneix software. The core math is there but most of the rest has been changed.

I have a video above showing the final bot running around.

The robot uses a PS2 controller. It runs on a 800mah Lipo and has a battery monitor (blue light). It flashes when low and turns red when its time to charge. I regulate the voltage from the Lipo through a 3A UBEC made by Turnigy. The servos are Hextronix 900HXT. Available through hobbyking.com

Paul
    Last edited by Quantum; 12-31-2010 at 06:34 PM.

Images

Re: W.A.S.P.

I showed these pictures to my niece. She wants one! Great design work. Can't wait to see it moving around.

DB

Images

Excellent design! (As always).
    The wings are simply awesome, very well made.
    Kåre Halvorsen aka Zenta
    ---------------------------------
    Zenta's YouTube channel
    Zenta's Blog
    Zenta's Instagram

Thanks guys. I'll have some video hopefully tomorrow. Just need to finish the wiring and servo pin assignments.

Updated with a couple more photos, software, board documents/schematics, and a video.

Images

Looks great! I really like your custom servo controller too!

This robot looks amazing. Very helpful to me as im also working on a HXT900 based hexapod.
    Just wondering, how much does it weigh all up?
    Also, have you ever had any power problems with the 3A UBEC? I've read these servos can draw upto 500ma each under load.

It's not that heavy at all. About ~13oz./340gr. without a battery.

And no power issues at all. Even with the tripod gate you disperse the load between 9 servos. About 1.5 oz of load per servo roughly. I have added a 1.6 lb weight on the bot and that started to put some load on the servos but they kept going. It's in one of videos on youtube.

Awesome, thanks for that mate.
    I guess the 8/15A UBEC I have already ordered will be a bit overkill, but im fine with that, I was actually worried it might not be enough. Can always order a 3A one later if I really need to cut down on weight.

Really not a big weight difference between the two, more of a size issue. But you can always throw that into a bigger project later.

Thread Information