Trossen Dynamixel High Thread Banner
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rover 2 WiFi!

1. Question Rover 2 WiFi!

Hello all,

I have been tweaking on my Rover 2 build, http://forums.trossenrobotics.com/showthread.php?t=4229, It has seen a couple minor mdifications since I last posted. I will add a few more pictures of it.

My question to you all is, I want to convert the 2.4ghz RC control over to Wifi. This way I will not have two 2.4ghz competing frequencies and one less antenna. In the rover I have 2 IP cameras, a WRT54GL router that has been flashed with DD-WRT, and a battery. I have added a serial port to the router (http://store.curiousinventor.com/spk...smt-parts.html).

The Traxxas RC Truck has a 6 channel controller, single drive motor, dual steering servos, high and low gearbox servo, and two locking differential servos for front and back tires.

My thought was to connect a serial controller to the router and run the RC portion through an interface on a laptop. Do you need a separate motor and servo control? Has anyone tried to do this through a router? Is it even possible? What am I missing in this little modification?

Thanks for any information you may have!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0063.jpg 
Views:	231 
Size:	104.2 KB 
ID:	2328   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0099.jpg 
Views:	220 
Size:	94.8 KB 
ID:	2329   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0101.jpg 
Views:	201 
Size:	85.8 KB 
ID:	2330   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rover_Cam_View.jpg 
Views:	244 
Size:	99.2 KB 
ID:	2331  

Re: Rover 2 WiFi!

Unfortunately I think this is not going to be as straight forward as it should be. You are basically going to need to gut the RC controller except for the steering and throttle pots. You'll then need to add some sort of microcontroller to read those pots and then you'll need some sort of microcontroller to wifi interface. The latter being the difficult part. It would be easier to use an iphone/itouch or an android device and ditch the RC controller, but I understand the desire to have the RC controller. Something like this Arduino wifi shield.. http://www.asynclabs.com/store?page=...&category_id=6 ..might be the easiest way if you can manage to pack it into that controller.

3. Re: Rover 2 WiFi!

My plan is to get rid of the RC controller all together. I would like to have the car motor and servos completely controled via laptop through WiFi, the same connection as the video is streamed through. It would be great if I could control it with a small USB joystick plugged into the laptop. So I think that would be easier as you then just need to switch out the servo controllers.

4. Trossen Distance Sensor  Thread Banner
  5. Re: Rover 2 WiFi!

I don't really see it being that difficult to replace the RC controller with a micro like an Arduino. The Arduino can easily control the steering servos and ESC. It would require some programming, but honestly the programming should be fairly trivial. The programming on the PC side to interface a usb joystick is going to be less trivial, thought not impossible.

Where you already have a wifi router onboard, there's no point footing the additional cash for a wifi shield on the Arduino as well (and once again having two wireless devices competing for airspace). You could just get an ethernet shield and plug it into your wifi router.

6. Re: Rover 2 WiFi!

Thanks for the reply. I am assuming that ESC is the motor controller? Also if I understand what you are saying, I really don't need the serial port as I can plug it into the Ethernet port. Is there any software packages out there to control such a device? Thanks again.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Sundsted View Post
    Thanks for the reply. I am assuming that ESC is the motor controller? Also if I understand what you are saying, I really don't need the serial port as I can plug it into the Ethernet port. Is there any software packages out there to control such a device? Thanks again.
    This might be helpful: Wifi Robot
    Always outnumbered, never outgunned. Axiom Robotics

8. Re: Rover 2 WiFi!

Yes, ESC as in motor controller.

You can communicate and control entirely through the Ethernet port, but any programming still has to be done through the USB/Serial port. Arduinos cannot be programmed through the Ethernet shield.

I'm not aware of any standard software packages available that provide pre-coded RC vehicle control via Arduino, but it's a project that has definitely been done by numerous amateurs. A little googling should give you a few examples, and most make their source code downloadable as well.

9. Re: Rover 2 WiFi!

Thanks, both were helpful. I stumbled on that WiFi robot pager earlier and forgot about it. I will take a look at that application. I can program it through the USB easy enough. The great thing is that I wouldn't have to go through pain of adding a searial port to the router as I can use the Ethernet shield. Going to build one at home for me and this makes things much easier.

10. Re: Rover 2 WiFi!

hi sundsted...i have a simple project involving robotics..i just viewed your work and i'm amazed..i want to make something like that too..wifi controlled rover..can you teach me and guide me how??thanks..

Quote Originally Posted by master_of_robots View Post
    This might be helpful: Wifi Robot
    Master, I was thinking about using one of those wireless routers in my next build. Is there a list anywhere that can tell me which routers can be flashed to work this way? Are all the WRT54Gs able to be programmed this way? Are there other brands (say U.S. Robotics) that can also be programmed this way?

I looked up WRT54Gs on eBay and some are pricier than others.

Thanks.
    Sidster . . . . . :^)

Thread Information