Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Robot Controller

Robot Controller

I made a video instead describing the project.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=onoO8u4yZoc"]YouTube - Transmitter Demo1[/ame]

This is an ongoing project and will post updates.

Paul

Images

Re: Robot Controller

Hi,

The project looks very interesting!
    Do you find the gimbals reliable, how is the linearity? I saw that the centering values was a bit off. What if you used only 8 bit resolution?, not that the centering would be better though.
    Kåre Halvorsen aka Zenta
    ---------------------------------
    Zenta's YouTube channel
    Zenta's Blog
    Zenta's Instagram

Kåre I need to check the linearity but for the most part they seem good for what they are. They are a little off and I'm going to check a ps2 controller I have at home to see what values those gimbals give off.

Now that you mention the resolution I am going to go to 8bit. All the software I have now is based on the values off a 8 bit controller.

With the centering issue I might just offset by adding the difference in the software. I know the bare min and max values would be off but with any limits placed in the software this might not be an issue. Something I need to look into. I even though about picking up some rc gimbals like in your remote. How are those values?

That looks really cool, but I am surprised you need four gimbals. It's hard to imagine how you are going to use four gimbals at the same time. And if it is not at the same time why not place two ergonomically and use buttons to mode switch what the sticks do? Like you would in a video game. Perhaps it is professional pride, but I think it is deceptively hard to make a better controller than a video game controller.

George I want to be able to control any direction without spending the time of switching in that mode and then switching back out of that mode. One stick for each of the fore fingers and one for each of the thumbs. I agree the playstation controller works great but I maxed out on all possible combo's available. A few more are needed.

Kåre the Gimbals in a playstation controller have a tolerance of +/- 20% the ones I have are +/-10%.
    I'm also just going to divide the value from the pots by 16.06 so the values coming from the gimbals will be in the range of 0-255 8bit end result.
    Last edited by Quantum; 01-29-2011 at 03:22 PM.

Nothing really interesting to post yet just that the Xbee's are working and communicating sending data from one to the other.

Images

As soon as you have this done, Parallax will be selling their wifi add-on and you'll have to start on that too! Great job!

So here's an update.

I have it all working talking between the controller and a dummy robot setup using led's to show outputs.

I made a rough case for it yesterday. It currently has a total of 24 channels but an additional 8 are ready to be used as well. Which will be used as trigger feeds like a ps2 controller.

Vanmunch your right I finished up the xbee version and wifi is coming real soon. I have been waiting for the wifi board from parallax for awhile and it went into production yesterday. So I'm hoping a product release this week from them.
    But I've been getting this ready for that.

Here are a few pics.

So here's another update.

I'm finishing the circuit boards and will be ready to have them made in the next few days.
    The case has a new look and feel to it. Currently made from some type of fiberglass I had at the shop. Really not sure what it is, its been sitting in the shop for the last 8+ yrs. So I chopped it.
    Final design will be from carbon fiber.

I need to make a few changes to the current case. Design change, but kept rolling in the project.
    The values in the pic are for 6 outputs that are 12bit hex format. A small test program I had running.

Around 32 channels might have a few more. Some needing to be added still.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2862.jpg 
Views:	200 
Size:	80.0 KB 
ID:	3476  
    Last edited by Quantum; 09-15-2011 at 09:33 AM.

What are you using the controller for? Humanoid, arm?

Thread Information