Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: East Coast Mech Warfare Competition

Images

East Coast Mech Warfare Competition

I am pleased to announce that the university I attend will be hosting a robotics competition this march. This competition will be held in Shepherdstown, WV which is approximately an hour from Washington DC and will take place on march 26 and 27. I know that there has been talk in the past about starting up an east coast MW competition and it is my hope that this event will provide an alternative option for those who are unable to make it to robogames. This year will feature Mech Warfare and Fire Fighting events. I am aware that our event is scheduled very close to Robogames and will therefore make it hard for people to attend. For more information you can visit the competition website. Andrew will be providing the scoring system and the arena is being designed and built by the theater department here on campus. If you have any interest in attending post here and/or email the contact listed on the competition website.

Thanks,
    Seth
    Last edited by sthmck; 01-14-2011 at 12:25 AM.

Images

Re: East Coast Mech Warfare Competition

Hey, this is great! I live in NC, so the CA/IL competitions would be really far for me to go. Now all I have to do is be ready by March.
    Always outnumbered, never outgunned. Axiom Robotics

This may sound kind of strange, but it something I have been thinking about a lot lately: Why do we really have to be at robot competitions? Last year at Robogames I did an autonomous combat competition and I met a guy from England who also competed. He was a really nice guy and we exchange contact info.

They did the same sort of competition at Combots in November of last year. I popped him an email to see if he would do it again and of course it isn't really practical for him to fly from England to San Francisco for a two day event. But his robot is autonomous. He knows the rules and he's done it before so he just mailed the robot. I had to charge the batteries, and know the sequence to remove the safety and turn it on by radio. It worked for the price of mailing a 6lb package.

I know that MechWars is a lot more complicated to participate in then that. Walking robots often need adjustment, the communication is imperfect and there is probably a lot of tuning and testing that you do on site. The arenas may not be as well understood so that it is important to see the arena in person. I get that what I am saying isn't presently practical.

But at the heart of MechWars you control your robot remotely. Eventually that could be possible over the internet-- you are part way there with IP cameras. All the problems with needing to be present to set up your robot are problems that may eventually be able to be overcome. And if it were possible, it would be a huge enabler because it would make it cheap for people all over the world to participate. Robots aren't cheap, but they are cheap compared to the price of sending a team from Brazil to San Francisco a few times.

Telepresence is one of the most important developing uses of robotics. Where I work we are starting to set up little carts with laptop screens and cameras so that people can go to meetings at the different studios all over the world. People want to do it, and pay for it, the biggest problem is that it doesn't work that well yet.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by georgeecollins View Post
    This may sound kind of strange, but it something I have been thinking about a lot lately: Why do we really have to be at robot competitions? Last year at Robogames I did an autonomous combat competition and I met a guy from England who also competed. He was a really nice guy and we exchange contact info.

They did the same sort of competition at Combots in November of last year. I popped him an email to see if he would do it again and of course it isn't really practical for him to fly from England to San Francisco for a two day event. But his robot is autonomous. He knows the rules and he's done it before so he just mailed the robot. I had to charge the batteries, and know the sequence to remove the safety and turn it on by radio. It worked for the price of mailing a 6lb package.

I know that MechWars is a lot more complicated to participate in then that. Walking robots often need adjustment, the communication is imperfect and there is probably a lot of tuning and testing that you do on site. The arenas may not be as well understood so that it is important to see the arena in person. I get that what I am saying isn't presently practical.

But at the heart of MechWars you control your robot remotely. Eventually that could be possible over the internet-- you are part way there with IP cameras. All the problems with needing to be present to set up your robot are problems that may eventually be able to be overcome. And if it were possible, it would be a huge enabler because it would make it cheap for people all over the world to participate. Robots aren't cheap, but they are cheap compared to the price of sending a team from Brazil to San Francisco a few times.

Telepresence is one of the most important developing uses of robotics. Where I work we are starting to set up little carts with laptop screens and cameras so that people can go to meetings at the different studios all over the world. People want to do it, and pay for it, the biggest problem is that it doesn't work that well yet.

This has been discussed before, and I actually am really fond of this idea. You nailed it though- infrastructure. In 5-10 years it probably won't be an issue in the slightest, but right now it'd introduce a considerable amount of lag ESPECIALLY given how terrible most Wifi offerings are at convention halls.

Images

This is awesome news!
    "If A is a success in life, then A equals x plus y plus z. Work is x; y is play; and z is keeping your mouth shut."
    -
    Einstein

Don't be a HelpVampire

Quote Originally Posted by Tyberius View Post
    This has been discussed before, and I actually am really fond of this idea. You nailed it though- infrastructure. In 5-10 years it probably won't be an issue in the slightest, but right now it'd introduce a considerable amount of lag ESPECIALLY given how terrible most Wifi offerings are at convention halls.
    Yeah, I didn't mean to take this off on a tangent. It just seems like it would be such a worthy goal. The tech in MechWars is about as good as any I have seen in amateur robotics. If anyone could do this, it would be the guys who do MechWars. It is good that there will be more competitions though.

Images

Ok so I have a few updates as well as things I just forgot to mention earlier. The arena should be done by the end of the month. Some of the guys from the theater department who are responsible for building stage props are working on it right now. The whole arena will be able to be broken down into sections for transport, with no section weighing more than 75 pounds. One very cool feature about the arena is that it can be scaled down to different sizes. If we wanted to do a demo at a small event the arena could be broken down into an 8 x 8 or 8 x 16 foot playing field. I am also working on getting the support of the Mass Comm department on campus to see if we can have students shoot some video of the event. We are trying to get both live feed displayed on screen as well as recording for a event DVD.

If any of the people who participated in the previous MW events have any suggestions for improvements, and ways to make this event flow a little better I would love to hear your input.

Also I included some pics of the model of the arena.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by georgeecollins View Post
    Yeah, I didn't mean to take this off on a tangent. It just seems like it would be such a worthy goal. The tech in MechWars is about as good as any I have seen in amateur robotics. If anyone could do this, it would be the guys who do MechWars. It is good that there will be more competitions though.
    I love reading input from people. I think that this is a great idea and would I look forward to having an event like this. I do realize that traveling to events all over the place can be expensive especially when you are already spending money just building a robot. Having a way to compete without spending tons of money traveling to multiple events each year would be great.

On the other hand one aspect of going to these competitions that I enjoy a great deal is the fact that you get to meet new people, and experience the sub culture in a way that is nearly impossible online. For me going to these events while costly is often an eye opener, that is worth every penny.

Images

1. That model looks really nice, and you guys seem to be putting together a great East Coast competition.

2. I'd like to attend, and its on my schedule so far, if I get my mech completed in time, which it should. But I am not 100% (more like 85% - 90%) able to attend yet. Have to see with work, and closer to the date. Should I register anyways, even if there is a chance I wouldn't be able to make it?

Images

Yes I would go ahead and register just in case. We don't have a registration cut off date but it will be helpful for us to have an idea of how many competitors we will have ahead of time.

Thread Information