Thread: SOLVED: Arbotix + Arduino IDE + Ubuntu + Invalid Device Sig

Images

Exclamation SOLVED: Arbotix + Arduino IDE + Ubuntu + Invalid Device Sig

Okay so I am in the middle of the PhantomX build, getting ready to wire up (think I need to order up some cables - help Matt!!! - I was messing with bioloid kit cables, not quite cutting it) - so I decide let's get the Arbotix up and running. Works great on Windows, but I wanna mess with ROS and Ubuntu is the way to go, so I got my Ubuntu 10.10 VM running, FTDI all installde /dev/ttyUSB0 is good to go, I hook up the Arbotix which in windows I setup to echo serial so I can make sure it's connected. Arduino IDE Serial Monitor fired up connected to Arbotix board and Hello there serial print comes up, I am connected.

Now I try to upload a sketch - bam - invalid device sig, yuck, did some searching on this - found the answer, I haven't seen it posted and I remember following the PhantomX thread. It's easy easy fix.

If you followed the Arbotix Arduino IDE setup, then in your sketches/hardware/ is board.txt - this is all I did:

# To use an ISP: uncomment the next line, comment out the protocol line
    #arbotix.upload.using=avrispmkii
    #arbotix.upload.protocol=stk500
    arbotix.upload.protocol=arduino

commented out "stk500" and setup "arduino" tada, I updated my sketch to "Hello Ubuntu" uploaded and in serial monitor I was rewarded with a welcome to Ubuntu

Chuck Durham
    "cdraptor"
    Last edited by lnxfergy; 01-22-2011 at 07:23 PM. Reason: updating title

Images

Re: Arbotix + Arduino IDE + Ubuntu + Invalid Device Sig FIX!!

Just as a follow up, from discussion we just had in the chat room. This fix is applicable to those users who install Arduino IDE through apt-get on Ubuntu. The website download from arduino.cc comes with a custom version of avrdude, which doesn't require this patch.

Edit: I've added a note on this to the ArbotiX wiki Getting Started page.

-Fergs
    Last edited by lnxfergy; 01-22-2011 at 06:41 PM.

Thread Information