Thread: Need a suggestion for a quadruped project

1. Need a suggestion for a quadruped project

Im going to start my first bot project, I want to make a quadruped
    Ive decided im going to use 12 of the cheap little 9g mini servos and im wanting to know what controller and electronics I should use for it

im just wanting to make something cheap, I will make the body and legs out of lexan from the local hardware store

this will just be a fun project for me to learn the basics on and eventually move to better servos and better chassis parts

thanks

Mack

Images

Re: Need a suggestion for a quadruped project

A walker as a first project might be a lot to chew. Especially if you are going for a budget scratch built walker. I love "junk bots", and love the fact that you are thinking about your monetary budget. by cheap what do you mean?

As darkback said, it is much better to start with wheels and then move to legs. Also, hexapods are easier to do then quads, and often work better to boot. If you are getting twelve servos, try to make a hexapod with them first. You can reuse the servos on a quad later.

4. Re: Need a suggestion for a quadruped project

thanks for the advice I will keep that in mind during my build
    by cheap I mean less than 100 dollars for 12 servos...
    theyre cheap on a certain auction site
    theyre also not the best servos in the world, will probably break if stressed, and from what Ive seen they can be kinda twitchy...

Im not interested in wheeled robots, im more interested in the multi legged bots so, im going to start with what I like
    I may build a hexapod first as suggested though

if I wanted to use external control like either a computer or the arbotix controller what hardware would I need on the bot itself to make it work?

If you're using standard hobby servos you should get an SSC-32. It will allow you to control your servos through a serial connection either from a PC or a microcontroller. If you're using dynamixels then you will need an arbotix.

Images

7. Re: Need a suggestion for a quadruped project

Im planning on using simple hobby servos
    Im probably going to use the Tower Pro SG90 micro servos to start out with
    Theyre very inexpensive and will work well to learn the basics on
    I would love to use dynamixels but theyre rather expensive so it will be some time before I can afford those

I have decided to go with the SSC-32 for the servo controller
    I was looking at the mini maestro controllers but I wasnt sure what other controllers would work with it, like the BASIC atoms, etc

Images

The micro maestro's are serial TTL device so they will work with any microcontroller of your choosing. From the product page:

"A free configuration and control program is available for Windows and Linux, making it simple to configure and test the device over USB, create sequences of servo movements for animatronics or walking robots, and write, step through, and run scripts stored in the servo controller. The Micro Maestro’s 1 KB of internal script memory allows storage of servo positions that can be automatically played back without any computer or external microcontroller connected.

Because the Micro Maestro’s channels can also be used as general-purpose digital outputs and analog inputs, they provide an easy way to read sensors and control peripherals directly from a PC over USB, and these channels can be used with the scripting system to enable creation of self-contained animatronic displays that respond to external stimuli and trigger additional events beyond just moving servos."

9. Re: Need a suggestion for a quadruped project

would the mini maestro 24 work with a bot board ii?
    im about to DL and read the user manual for both, this should take some time
    Last edited by mackinthebox; 02-03-2011 at 02:01 AM.

Images

That mini maestro thing is cool

Thread Information