Trossen Arduino Top Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Maxwell: A Mobile Manipulator

Images

Maxwell: A Mobile Manipulator

I wanted to briefly introduce the robot I've been working on for the past couple weeks. Maxwell is a human-scale mobile manipulator powered by ROS and an ArbotiX.

A cool feature of this bot is that not only does it sport lots of sensory and a cool arm, but Maxwell breaks down into short sections that fit in a Pelican case. It only takes about 5 minutes to break down or assemble the robot:

I've posted more pictures and details on my blog: http://www.showusyoursensors.com/201...g-maxwell.html for now, I'll expand this post shortly.

-Fergs

Images

Re: Maxwell: A Mobile Manipulator

You never stop to impress me with all your projects.
    This one looks very interesting.
    You say that the wrist has a roll function too? It was very hard to see it on the pictures though.

Looking forward see your next post.
    Kåre Halvorsen aka Zenta
    ---------------------------------
    Zenta's YouTube channel
    Zenta's Blog

Images

Is the arm made up of mostly RX servos? And then a couple of AX's at the gripper? Must have some good stability in the arm from the upgraded servos.

4. Trossen Accelerometer Gyro Thread Banner

Looks really cool, and some very very nice servos :-)
    How hard is it to get ROS working with your own gripper?
    What library will you/ can you use for that?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Zenta View Post
    You never stop to impress me with all your projects.
    This one looks very interesting.
    You say that the wrist has a roll function too? It was very hard to see it on the pictures though.

Looking forward see your next post.
    Yep, there is an AX12 right behind the 2 AX-12s used for the gripper fingers. It allows the wrist to rotate to grasp an object from different angles. I'll try to get a better picture up soon, but you can sorta see the top side of the servo in this pic (the horn of the AX-12 is connected to the RX-64 hinge bracket):

Quote Originally Posted by elaughlin View Post
    Is the arm made up of mostly RX servos? And then a couple of AX's at the gripper? Must have some good stability in the arm from the upgraded servos.
    Yep, my blog post had a bit more detail: "Maxwell's arm is constructed from 2 EX-106 (shoulder lift and elbow flex), 2RX-64 (shoulder pan and wrist flex), and and 3 AX-12s (one for wrist roll, and two to form a gripper). In all honesty, it only needs the one EX-106 in the shoulder, but I didn't have any brackets that fit the RX-64 at the moment. The actual gripper fingers are temporary, I have much better ones in the works."

Quote Originally Posted by Amp View Post
    Looks really cool, and some very very nice servos :-)
    How hard is it to get ROS working with your own gripper?
    What library will you/ can you use for that?
    Thanks. I'm not going to lie: getting a custom manipulator up and running in ROS is a bit of a task. I'm using the arm_kinematics package to do IK -- with my own wrapper around it do deal with the 5DOF-ness of the arm. I'm then using the collision_environment to apply collision free kinematics (still in progress), and tying it all together with my own simple version of move_arm (eventually I'd like to use the actual move_arm -- but it currently has some PR2 dependencies I'm avoiding).

The good news is: I firmly believe in open source. All of the trajectory planning aspects will be integrated into upcoming ArbotiX package releases for ROS. This should make it fairly straight forward to create a custom URDF+YAML description of your AX/RX servo arm, connect it to an ArbotiX and go forward with arm planning. Maxwell's description files will also be posted shortly (some already are, but it's somewhat of a mess, I was working rapidly over the weekend to get him operational for a full day of demos today).

-Fergs

Images

constructed from 2 EX-106 (shoulder lift and elbow flex), 2RX-64 (shoulder pan and wrist flex), and and 3 AX-12s
    Multi-servo-type approach makes a lot of sense to me, especially when I look at my own arm which has one of the biggest muscles in the body to move arm(proper) and so much smaller muscles to move my fingers.

This setup still a lot more affordable than $160k(?) price tag of Barrett arm too.

Too bad ArbotiX can't do RX and AX at the same time...

Images

Quote Originally Posted by RobotNV View Post
    Too bad ArbotiX can't do RX and AX at the same time...
    Stick around..... there's a super secret prototype in the base of Maxwell....

-Fergs

Images

-Fergs

10. Re: Maxwell: A Mobile Manipulator

You have done a great job with Maxwell. There could be commercial potential for such a robot.

May I ask what material the base is made of?

Also, are you concerned with the height of the arm that the robot, even having a low center of gravity, will easily tip over when the arm is grabbing an item?

Kevin

Images

Quote Originally Posted by maitri982 View Post
    You have done a great job with Maxwell. There could be commercial potential for such a robot.
    Thanks.

May I ask what material the base is made of?
    It is laser cut ABS, mostly 3/16" thick but the top piece is 1/4" thick.

Also, are you concerned with the height of the arm that the robot, even having a low center of gravity, will easily tip over when the arm is grabbing an item?
    Not really -- Maxwell is about 15lbs fully loaded, 10 pounds of that is in the base. His rear end may tip up just a bit, but by keeping the arm speed slow, he doesn't get enough momentum to carry all the way to a tip over.

He probably won't be able to negotiate ramps as well as something like a PR2 -- but that is not an issue in the environments I'm working in currently. Maxwell has successfully negotiated a number of very large door and carpet transition thresholds without incident.

-Fergs

Thread Information