Thread: Ros + Rovio

1. Ros + Rovio

I am a hobbyist and after 1/2 year of mulling things over I've recently made the jump into the ROS world. I've just installed ubuntu 10.10 and gotten the latest build of ROS installed. I'm new to Linux and ROS, and have lots to learn.... and wanted to jump into the fray using a Rovio I have.

I see that IHeartRobotics has a rovio driver, and I also see remnants of packages from Pi and Cornell floating around.

Is one of these more well developed than the others?

Suggestions?

Many thanks!

-Mike
    Last edited by mbahr; 02-10-2011 at 04:26 PM. Reason: spelling

Re: Ros + Rovio

Hi Mike,

First of all, thanks for the reminder that I have that Rovio package floating around on Google Code--I had completely forgotten about it and should probably delete it as I haven't spent any time on it for quite awhile.

I have tried the IHeartRobotics package and had a demo already for the ROS 3D contest when my Rovio died. I just got another on eBay but haven't gotten back to trying it again. So you might start there. Perhaps someone else could comment on the Cornell package as I haven't tried that one.

P.S. Welcome to ROS!

--patrick
    The Pi Robot Project
    http://www.pirobot.org

3. Re: Ros + Rovio

Thanks for the welcome, Patrick.

You and I exchanged a message or two over at roborealm last year. I'm impressed with your blog.

Saw your video ROS for the Rest of Us and stuff on PI. Very nice, indeed.

How did the turtlebot look?

-Mike

Re: Ros + Rovio

I *thought* I recognized your login name! BTW, I have serious separation anxiety from not using RoboRealm for awhile. And now I see they have just added Dynamixel support. One of these days I want to make a ROS-RoboRealm bridge and try running RoboRealm on a Windows machine while running the ROS master on Linux...

As for the turtlebot, I love the idea and it looked great. However, I didn't get to see a live demo because Tully had display resolution issues with the projector during the show-and-tell session and then I was tied up after the talk when I believe he was doing a make-up demo.

--patrick
    The Pi Robot Project
    http://www.pirobot.org

5. Re: Ros + Rovio

I agree that RoboRealm is a great program. Not only is it really easy to use, it is also really affordable and very well supported. It allowed me to learn about vision processing really quickly. I'm not certain that openCV would have allowed me to prototype processing pipelines as quickly as RoboRealm has. I think it is one of those hidden gems and I hope more people discover it.

-Mike

Thread Information