Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: ArbotiX ROS Stack 0.4.0

Images

Re: ArbotiX ROS Stack 0.4.0

Quote Originally Posted by Pi Robot View Post
    I grabbed my ArbotiX board on the way out so I could continue testing. So this is now on a different machine and still no joy on the upload. The reset jumper is set--I tried it without just to be sure but it is back on now. When I initiate the upload, I see the Tx LED flash on the FTDI board but not the Rx LED.

BTW, I am using version 0019 of the Arduino software on this machine.

--patrick
    2 Questions:

1) You haven't uploaded using an ISP before, have you? (if so, you'd have blown away the bootloader)
    2) You aren't using arduino from apt-get, right?

-Fergs

No, I haven't used an ISP before. Also, I should have mentioned I'm doing this on Windows XP so I just unzip the Windows Arduino archive from the download site.

I also should have mentioned, that my ArbobtiX doesn't exactly match the layout in the photos included in the manual. For example, the reset jumper is not above the little orange capacitor, but is to the left of it and is labeled J1. Also there is a 3-pin header next to the FTDI header labeled FTDI at the top and VIN on the bottom. At the moment, there is a 2-pin jumper on the lower two pins, i.e. at the VIN end.

What's odd, is I didn't have these problems the last time I did a firmware upgrade using exactly the same setup.

--patrick
    The Pi Robot Project
    http://www.pirobot.org

Images

No, I haven't used an ISP before. Also, I should have mentioned I'm doing this on Windows XP so I just unzip the Windows Arduino archive from the download site.

I also should have mentioned, that my ArbobtX doesn't exactly match the layout in the photos included in the manual. For example, the reset jumper is not above the little orange capacitor, but is to the left of it and is labeled J1. Also there is a 3-pin header next to the FTDI header labeled FTDI at the top and VIN on the bottom. At the moment, there is a 2-pin jumper on the lower two pins, i.e. at the VIN end.

What's odd, is I didn't have these problems the last time I did a firmware upgrade using exactly the same setup.

--patrick
    J1 is a different header (the serial one). The reset jumper is J2 (be sure J2 is enabled).

Also, when you press the reset button, the LED on the edge of the board should blink a few times -- if not, your bootloader might be frigged up. Same should happen right after TX blinks on the FTDI cable -- if not, the reset jumper is not set correctly.

-Fergs

Ah yes, that is J2, not J1. And I'm afraid to say that pressing the reset button does not flash any LEDs, either on the ArbotiX or the FTDI board. Am I SOL?

--p
    The Pi Robot Project

Images

Ah yes, that is J2, not J1. And I'm afraid to say that pressing the reset button does not flash any LEDs, either on the ArbotiX or the FTDI board. Am I SOL?

--p
    Ok, just to confirm that we do have an issue -- it sounds like you've pulled the arbotix out of the bot to take with you -- is the power LED on? (i.e. have you switched the jumper near the FTDI header into the upper position so that 5V is coming from FTDI header rather than from VIN and the regulator?)

-Fergs

Yes, the green power LED on the ArbotiX is lit up and the jumper near the FTDI header is on the two pins near the VIN label. Unfortunately, I just realized I left the FTDI board at work so it'll be a couple of hours before I have access to it again.

--patrick
    The Pi Robot Project

OK, I have the FTDI board hooked back up to my ArbotiX. I have a green power LED on the ArbotiX, the jumper near the FTDI header is on the two pins near the VIN label, and the reset jumper is on. Pressing the reset button at this point does not cause any blinking of any LEDs either on the ArbotiX or the FTDI board. Just in case it matters, I am powering the ArbotiX using a Robotis SMPS2Dynamixel adapter which in turn is connected to a CM5 power brick. I have measured the voltage at 12V.

--patrick
    The Pi Robot Project

Images

OK, I have the FTDI board hooked back up to my ArbotiX. I have a green power LED on the ArbotiX, the jumper near the FTDI header is on the two pins near the VIN label, and the reset jumper is on. Pressing the reset button at this point does not cause any blinking of any LEDs either on the ArbotiX or the FTDI board. Just in case it matters, I am powering the ArbotiX using a Robotis SMPS2Dynamixel adapter which in turn is connected to a CM5 power brick. I have measured the voltage at 12V.

--patrick
    How about unplugging the SMPS2, and switching the jumper near the FTDI to be on FTDI not VIN (are you sure you have a 5V FTDI also?)

If that doesn't work, I imagine you do have a broken bootloader -- do you have an ISP around?

-Fergs

Just gave that a shot with the same result. Green power LED on ArbotiX lights up but no flashing LEDs when hitting the reset switch and the Arduino upload process times out with:

avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0x00
    avrdude: stk500_disable(): protocol error, expect=0x14, resp=0x51

I don't have an ISP and I don't think either Frys or Radio Shack carries them which are the only two local electronics stores I can think of. If the bootloader is broken, would the ISP still work? If not, I can certainly order a new ArbotiX. I don't doubt that the cause of the problem was my fault at some point.

In the meantime, it would be great to try out your new 0.4.1 ROS code, but I don't think I can use it with the USB2Dynamixel anymore now that sync write is the only option. Is that correct?

--patrick
    The Pi Robot Project

HI
    avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0x00
    avrdude: stk500_disable(): protocol error, expect=0x14, resp=0x51
    I had a similar error when i loaded ver 0.4.1 i have a switch in place of the jumper that has to be up to load a program
    thats when i got a error due to a distraction (kids) i left it down and the program loaded
    when i launched the driver i had 2 steady lights the arm doesn't appear to work then i ran out of time
    so many toys so little time

peter

Thread Information