Thread: Now, for something completely different..."ScuffN: Augmented Musical Reality"

Images

Now, for something completely different..."ScuffN: Augmented Musical Reality"

Hey everyone,

I just completed, “scuffN: Augmented Musical Reality”, one of my first non-robotic projects that I’ve been working on for the past year. The idea for scuffN hit me one day while I was driving in the car listening to some alt rock drumming on the steering wheel while thinking how cool it would be if it was possible to create music with just the motion of your hand, a kind of augmented reality. I’ve had a lot of fun designing and building it. Let me know what you think.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	clip_image001.jpg 
Views:	311 
Size:	43.9 KB 
ID:	4190 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	scuffN-Pocket.jpg 
Views:	302 
Size:	95.6 KB 
ID:	4195

In a nutshell, scuffN, is a motion controlled electronic musical instrument that lets you rapidly switch and mash up audio samples using a 3 axis motion sensor that you wear. The sensor is read by a Propeller chip that then determines which audio sample needs to be played from the SD card. Some people say that it’s kind of like an invisible turntable or a pocket DJ machine. The cool thing is that the sensor is very small and can be worn like a ring so you kind of forget that you’re wearing it while you’re playing it. The whole thing easily fits in your pocket

Name:	clip_image002.jpg 
Views:	301 
Size:	84.5 KB 
ID:	4192

The way scuffN works is that simultaneously monitoring the motion sensor while playing a.wav file off of a SD card. The program monitors the motion sensor and once a threshold for a given axis is broken the program plays the corresponding audio clip. Each axis has a specific audio file name that is associated with it.

Name:	ScuffN ver1 and 2.jpg 
Views:	312 
Size:	89.9 KB 
ID:	4193

I designed PCB boards using Diptrace and had the bare boards made by DorkbotPDX and had Ohararp LLC, creating the solder past stencil. I then assembled the boards using the “toaster oven” home build technique. The cases were designed using Alibre PE and then I printed the cases using a duel extruding MakerBot Replicator.

Name:	DSCN3473.jpg 
Views:	290 
Size:	89.4 KB 
ID:	4194

In all, I built 3 different functional prototype versions over the last year until I got it to work the way that I wanted it to. The final version that I’m planning to build if the Kickstarter project is successful will be a little bit smaller and will allow a person to switch between sets of audio clips.

Let me know what you think and please check out scuffN’s Kickstarter project page.

Thanks!

Dave (vanmunch)

ScuffN website with more info, pictures and video:
    http://www.scuffn.com/scuffn_info.html

Kickstarter website:
    http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...y?ref=category
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ScuffN final narrow3.jpg 
Views:	272 
Size:	52.5 KB 
ID:	4191  
    Last edited by Vanmunch; 10-08-2012 at 09:19 PM. Reason: spelling

Thread Information