Thread: Hexapod Project

1. Post Hexapod Project

I'm still new in robotics .... But I really like it.
    I have many questions about microcontrollers and servo motor.

In his opinion for a Hexapod, which would be good? (Servant and microcontroller)

I believe in using Hitec HS-225BB servos the cost is good.
    And microcontroller .... I have no ideas (Arduino, Arm ...)

I think to use C, but researching this I saw that the Assembly would be best.
    What do you think?

The program uses the A pod Hexapod C ?(PWM and Software?)

Thank you!

Re: Hexapod Project

Hi jcrazy..
    Welcome to the amazing world of robotics.

The servo you're talking about is suitable for mini hexapod because it's small size and low torque. I think it's okay if you are new to servo but considering your project is rather big (hexapod) I reccomend using metal gear servo like HS 645 MG or HS 225 MG. They will last longer.

For microcontroller , based on my experience, if you're more familiar with C, arduino or ATMega will do well. For hexapod, life will be much easier if you buy servo driver like SSC-32 (Atmega 168 based).

A-pod from Zenta (Kare Halvorsen) uses basic micro as its microcontroller coupled with SSC-32 to drive 18 servo. (Correct me if I'm wrong, Zenta)

For a good start, I suggest you to take a look to Zenta and Xanore threads about hexapod. They're the gurus !!

3. Re: Hexapod Project

Tanks gonzo, thats my hexapod, first project using a solidworks..
    I really want to mount the driver, the driver.

https://picasaweb.google.com/1070250...MnMi5eRy9yZcg#

I use 18 servos TowerPro 9G(horrible,they soon spoil),this is just a sketch ... I'm doing better one ... I use acrylic as material.

Thanks for giving me these tips
    Last edited by jcrazy; 04-20-2011 at 11:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jcrazy View Post
    Tanks gonzo, thats my hexapod, first project using a solidworks..
    I really want to mount the driver, the driver.

https://picasaweb.google.com/1070250...MnMi5eRy9yZcg#

I use 18 servos TowerPro 9G(horrible,they soon spoil),this is just a sketch ... I'm doing better one ... I use acrylic as material.

Thanks for giving me these tips
    Wuoo.. really impressive . Considering that this is your first attempt to build hexapod.
    Acrylic is a good material, but are you planning to use it for the servo brackets also? If you are not, I know some great servo brackets from Lynxmotion. They use lexan as the material. Really tough one. But you need to make sure it fits your servo.
    After all, great work! Keep us updated about this project of yours.
    Regards

5. Re: Hexapod Project

Tanks, I think I'll use ATmega 1280, what do you think ? or FPGA...
    Last edited by jcrazy; 05-04-2011 at 01:53 PM.

Images

I don't think an ARM or an FPGA would be a good choice if you have no experience with even basic microcontrollers. ARM is not the easiest to get into (can use a C/C++ program alone or as part of a full embedded linux system) and an FPGA is something quite a bit different than a microcontroller (you literally program the logic functions interconnecting the pins). Regardless, both are a bit overkill for a basic hex.

The various Arduino and compatible boards tend to be a good place for most people to start. They use a multiplatform IDE for programming in C simplified with a bunch of headers containing easy to use functions for common operations. The ArduinoUno uses an ATmega328 with 6 PWM and the ArduinoMega uses an ATmega2560 with 14 PWM. If you want to control more PWM servos than that, something like the SSC-32 would be a good idea.

There are several other options offered by trossen and many projects on the forums using them so a little searching should give you some good examples of their capabilities (I think Zenta has used only boards from Basic Micro for his amazing projects).
    Please pardon the pedantry... and the profanity... and the convoluted speech pattern...
    "You have failed me, Brain!"
    bleh

Thread Information