Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WALKER8 - An Octopod Project

Images

WALKER8 - An Octopod Project

I caught the Octopod fever a couple of months ago and have been feverishly been working on an 8-legged solution.

After lightly machining the Phoenix chassis (I don't have access to a router), I found that the Phoenix chassis was a dead-end since everything was too cramped...

So I decided to go with the SES route, except for the legs, to build a quick and dirty octopod...

I needed a platform to develop and test my software... The chassis/body will eventually be transferred to a custom machined octopod chassis similar to Zenta's Oxopus...

Here's a video of it taking its first few steps. I've uncovered some errors in my previous kinematic engine for which this kinematic engine is built upon...

I call this engine the third generation, Tom Chang Inverse Kinematic (TCIK) engine... The engine is FAAAR from finished, it still has a lot of debugging, refinements, redundant code trimming, and etc. to be done to it...

---
    Sleep? You don't need sleep...

---

Images

Re: WALKER8 - An Octopod Project

Nice work.. looks like you're heading in the right direction..

Gary
    Team Maggot---Mechs. "Bheka" (retired), "Maggot Mk.3(A)"
    " Keep your stick on the ice ".... Red Green

Images

Nice work!

You could change the initial positions of the feet to get a more natural pose and also more freedom/space between the legs.

Always cool to see all the legs working together.

Fun project!
    Kåre Halvorsen aka Zenta
    ---------------------------------
    Zenta's YouTube channel
    Zenta's Blog
    Zenta's Instagram

Images

Thanks for the kind words guys, I'm currently drawing up a plan for a octo chassis. This model with the SES channel is something I slapped together to prove out the IK engine that it works on any number of legs (well, as much as the memory can hold in the micro unit :P )...

Will keep you guys posted.

Curious, anyone out there know of a good place to get some aluminum plates routed for cheap? I don't need anodizing or anything, just standard 2D routing and drilling...
    ---

---

Images

UPDATE

As some of you may or may not know, I started a small engineering company last year when I was laid off. The company is called "TAP RC." Recently, I have moved our focus away from RC car products to Robotics. My business partner and I are bringing years of experience in military and aerospace technology to the hobbyist market.
    I have been working on a semi-secretive project regarding this octopod... The robot is called WALKER8 (I'm a bit descriptive when it comes to naming my robot ).

I recently fabbed a few sets of octopod chassis that I will soon release to the market. Here are some preliminary shots of this. A walking video will soon to follow...

Anyone out there interested in it? I currently developed this chassis for software development since it has provisions for ALL the sensors I have laying around in my box: IR Distance, PING))), and LM's 2-axis Accelerometer (based off Dimension engineering's chip)... If I get enough requests, I will do another fab run of this preliminary chassis so I can keep the cost down as much as possible... In the future, I will have a full-up system including femurs, tibia, servo brackets, and electronics for hobby, research, and commercial use (still trying to figure out this part where an octopod can be commercially used).

Some of the features:

1) Symmetry
    2) Locations for a head, pedipalps, tail, claws, jaws in addition to the eight legs
    3) Location to mount Lynxmotion's 2-axis accelerometer
    4) Two different ways/schemes to mount electronics such as SSC-32, ARC-32, Bot Board, and etc...
    5) Made of 0.080" 5052 Aluminum (this stuff is tough)...
    6) Legs are angularly spaced evenly (45-degrees, 15-degrees, -15-degrees, -45-degrees).
    7) Slots cut out in the chassis for velcro straps for regular stick-style RC car batteries (6-Cell NIMH or 2S LiPo)

These pics are the PROTOTYPE 1. PROTOTYPE 2 will be built soon, which will be based on 4" femurs and "C" type legs instead of Phoenix legs...

I'm interested in selling the CHASSIS ONLY. The rest of the parts are from Lynxmotion brackets. I will be developing my own servo brackets soon (since I am not an authorized distributor of Lynxmotion products).

Without further ado, I present to you TAP RC's first OCTopod CHASSis Version 000:

Last edited by tom_chang79; 06-30-2011 at 01:46 AM.
    ---

---

6. Re: WALKER8 - An Octopod Project

Congrats on your new company!!! I cant wait to see more military and aerospace infused robots, as for your 1st product, very polished, clean, and with ample space for customization! Got a starting price going yet?

Images

Thank you Fanatic!

I'm excited as well, the software side of things will begin this weekend...

As for the pricing, it would depend on the volume that will be ran, but before I do, I have to evaluate the chassis after it's "fully loaded" with all my sensors, as well as any appendages to see if there are any geometry of the chassis that can be improved upon.

The other factor that will determine the cost would be if I send it out to get it anodized or not... Currently, it has a silver "brushed" look but personally, I'm really a fan of black and red...

I will keep you guys posted... My plan for doing a production run would be sometime around Halloween (great timing eh? ) and the more request I get, I can run a higher volume... Hopefully, the thing will be kit form by then with my own servo brackets so the end user just has to add servos and electronics to complete it...

Stay tuned...
    ---

---

Images

OCTCHASSV000 preliminary video... Cleaned up the wiring, re-organized the leg geometry to bring the center of gravity (CG) closer to the body. This is prototype one with the 3" Femurs. Prototype two with the 4" femur will be coming soon... This video demonstrates my own kinematic engine as well as an extra gaiting that I came up with.
    ---

---

fatemaster Guest

Thumbs up Re: WALKER8 - An Octopod Project

hello, im new
    first i want to say that you both did greate jobs from what iv read and seen so far. i also have been working on this for some time (around three years now) and will post my plans and pictures later. but im so excited i finaly found others with the same idea in mind. i was hoping to finnish this before i graduate thios comming school year.
    Last edited by fatemaster; 07-05-2011 at 12:39 PM.

Images

Gee, will there be a AX-18a version?
    Yours,
    SA

This line has been tagged for redundancy.

Thread Information