Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Chimera (RX-64 Quad)

1. Re: Chimera (RX-64 Quad)

Quote Originally Posted by elaughlin View Post
    Just got in the parts for the Chimera build. RX servos are so totally more awesome! Can't wait to put this thing together. It will be huge! but worth it.

Attachment 2661
    holy %&$* those servos look serious
    I cant wait til your plans come to fruition.

2. Re: Chimera (RX-64 Quad)

Oh man.
    O_o
    ---
    Personal blog: http://xevel.org
    USB2AX documentation: http://xevelabs.com

Re: Chimera (RX-64 Quad)

I hope you describe some of your parts selection but, I have to ask if that's a mini winch off to the right? ^.o At first I thought it was a gun mechanism, but that sure looks like a fairlead out front of a drum to me! ..and a 5S LiPo? O.o

Very interesting build you have going on elaughlin

Images

Yeah I have some strange parts going into this, at least as far as mech warfare goes.

The servos are RX-64s. Big time power/torque going into this baby. 5s Mil Spec Lipo battery. Weight - Power ratio is unmatchable, so I had to spring for that. There is a very tiny laser module in the front right which I am planning on designing into one of my gun shell designs. And yes, that is a robowinch from the trossen site. I thought it would be really cool to have that thing on the robot. Could pull the cars in the arena around, or other dead robots. Everything else in the pic is small electrical needs and parts.

Very, very cool man. You know that saying about imitation being the sincerest form of flattery? Expect to be flattered! lol

Images

I have been slowly doing bits and pieces of my design for Chimera. I promised everyone an update when I had something that would look different to previous pictures.

Updates -

Rebuilt Chassis - 3D print version, contains all mounting for electronics inside, and covers the wifi board on top of the chassis.
    Updated "Pan Slide Bed" - For turret to sit nicely on top of the bed with extra support.
    Lots of things inside the chassis
    Changed Darkback's hopup 3D print to work for my setup
    Started designing Gatling Gun 3D print to go on the defender Barrel/Connection setup

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Chimera_Update.jpg 
Views:	246 
Size:	66.9 KB 
ID:	3450

7. Re: Chimera (RX-64 Quad)

Very impressive bot! Something to give Giger a run for its money

I see that you use two servos for the tilt axis of the turret, and a strong-looking pan mechanism, maybe that will be enough to counter the bobble-head effect many bot seem to suffer from ^^
    Do you plan to make a custom shell for the body too?

Please keep the updates coming
    ---

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Xevel View Post
    Very impressive bot! Something to give Giger a run for its money

I see that you use two servos for the tilt axis of the turret, and a strong-looking pan mechanism, maybe that will be enough to counter the bobble-head effect many bot seem to suffer from ^^
    Do you plan to make a custom shell for the body too?

Please keep the updates coming
    Thanks a lot Xevel. Means a lot.

The two tilt servos are definitely for that reason exactly. I have the pay load, so I might as well give it some more accuracy by using 2 servos and the 4 bar linkage system (cire explained to me how to use that). I really would like to get rid of the bobble head effect and get nice smooth aiming.

And of course I am going to make a custom shell body. The chassis is not even complete yet, that is just the boxed in part of it. The sides of the chassis will show some under the armor shells so the sides will get details along them. A 3 (or 4) piece shell will be covering the turret and top of the chassis - plans to make it look real detailed tank/mech effect. Another shell will be going under the chassis to give it an under carriage look as well as providing protection to the Arbotix and the power switches will be found there. And lastly, 1 to 2 piece shells per gun (each different and custom).

Those are all the 3d parts for Chimera, plus I wanted to make a Mech Warfare Scoring system Harness, but unsure if Ill 3D print it, or use aluminum maybe. So it can easily be attached and unattached to compete or just for show. One of the pieces for the armor shell will be just a top part that can be removed easily to add ammo, and attach the scoring harness, and the top piece can fit back down on top of the harness.

I will update as much as possible when there are concrete differences. I am all excited about the build again, because a certain tattooed, robot builder put a fire under my a$$ this afternoon.

Images

Heres an insides look at the electronics inside.

Name:	Chimera_Update_Insides2.jpg 
Views:	294 
Size:	69.3 KB 
ID:	3451

10. Re: Chimera (RX-64 Quad)

Quote Originally Posted by elaughlin View Post
    Heres an insides look at the electronics inside.

Name:	Chimera_Update_Insides2.jpg 
Views:	294 
Size:	69.3 KB 
ID:	3451
    Nice!
    It may not be a problem, I really don't know, but don't you think putting the wifi antenna just below a fan could be problematic in term of interference/signal quality?

And I see you put a robowinch in here too
    Why is this the first thing that comes to my mind? xD
    As far as I know, towing your opponents out of the battle arena is not a valid way to win in Mech Warfare
    ---

Thread Information