Thread: USB2Dynamixel in Ubuntu Natty

Chmaanta Guest

USB2Dynamixel in Ubuntu Natty

Hi everyone,
    I think I'm having a driver problem and I need some serious wisdom from experts.

I have a USB2Dynamixel and a couple of AX12's. I've been trying for a couple of weeks now to get them to run in ROS Diamondback under Ubuntu Natty. Using three different packages they all come back with a message that essentially says "We can see /dev/ttyUSB0, but we can't talk to it".

When I go to the manufacturer's website they have driver installations for Linux, but it's poorly written and seemingly outdated. i.e. the Makefile is several versions back. They do say however that you need to change some things inside the code and compile so it leads me to believe I can't just plug the USB2Dynamixel in and run. However, I'm not smart enough to figure out how to create the driver for Natty.

Has anyone struggled with the same problems and been able to slog through it?

I have run the USB2Dynamixel and the AX12's successfully in Windows 7 so I know it's not a hardware problem.

Thank you for any help!

-Bill

Images

Re: USB2Dynamixel in Ubuntu Natty

Try adding yourself to the "dialout" group (and then log out and back in for it to take effect).

-Fergs

3. Re: USB2Dynamixel in Ubuntu Natty

Dear ALL.
    I also meet the similar problem, I want to know the details how to set and make use2dynamixel can works under ubuntu 12.04 64 bit.
    do you need to do some file setting and compiling before we plug the device to program for it, In fact, I repeat the steps shown on the website, although there are no related files in /usr/src/lin///. while Ican not do make.
    So I can not use the device now.
    Thanks for any help let me know how to use it under ubuntu 12.04
    Zhenli

Images

Re: USB2Dynamixel in Ubuntu Natty

The USB2Dynamixel uses the very common FT232RL USBtoUART IC. Drivers for the FT232RL have been in the linux kernel for several years, so you will never need to compile your own. It will show up as "/dev/ttyUSB0" or as a very similar name if you type
    Code:
    ls /dev | grep tty
    into a terminal. If you cannot access the USB2Dynamixel without using 'sudo', then see if you are in the dialout group by typing "groups" into a terminal. If you do not see 'dialout' listed, then add yourself to that group by typing
    Code:
    sudo usermod -aG dialout $USERNAME
    into a terminal, where '$USERNAME' is replaced with your username.

I had the same problem with the Arduino IDE and an Arduino Uno (uses different USBtoUART IC), but adding myself to "dialout" fixed it.
    Please pardon the pedantry... and the profanity... and the convoluted speech pattern...
    "You have failed me, Brain!"
    bleh
    more bleh

Thread Information