Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: RX-28 Darwin OP Based Mech: Tychus

Re: RX-28 Darwin OP Based Mech: Tychus

pretty easy to make into frames with fairly simple tools
    How do you bend it? On a finger brake? 1.5-2mm sounds like "16 gauge" to my American ears?

Images

A vice, a piece of wood, and a hammer/mallet would work well enough for many parts. I think this was the method used by DB when building one or more of his earlier bots in his shed.

I'm lucky in having access to a full shop (wood/plastic 3-axis CNC router, plasma cutter CNC router, brake press, throatless shear, corner notcher, and even two 3D printer - neither of which are working right now), although I don't utilize those capabilities often.
    Please pardon the pedantry... and the profanity... and the convoluted speech pattern...
    "You have failed me, Brain!"
    [git][mech][hack]
    gives free advice only on public threads

even two 3D printer - neither of which are working right now
    That sounds a *lot* like Tech Shop Menlo Park, where I do my CNC and metalworking. TS also has a low-end 4-axis metal CNC (a Tormach) although I find that workholding is the biggest challenge for me, so I don't cut as much as I should on that ;-)

I'm mainly wondering how the 5051 would bend on a break, because I've only bent steel, and I think the fingers have too fine a radius for aluminum?
    I guess I should just go and try it on a scrap piece.

Images

I am not completely sure about the chemistry of the aluminum sheet I used to make the little boxes that protect the HaViMo2's or the chassis of the little inverted penduluum bot (got it off the scrap pile left over from someone else's project, since the department machinist doesn't keep standing stock of aluminum and there are no local sources). The sheet was a bit thicker (the thicker stuff was 0.08" and the thinner was 0.0625") than the 30+ year old brake should have been able to accommodate (the clamp would not hold itself locked on the piece), but even with the tiny bend radius in overly thick material the boxes and bot have been very resilient (guess it is 5052 since it can rebend without fracture and does not drill as cleanly as the 6063 angle from bigbox). 6061 would easily fail after bending with the small radius the brake produces, but supposedly hand bending 6061 to larger radii improves its survival.
    Please pardon the pedantry... and the profanity... and the convoluted speech pattern...
    "You have failed me, Brain!"
    [git][mech][hack]
    gives free advice only on public threads

Images

Cire,

Would you be able to eloborate on your code you used for this mech. Specifically I'm curious about the process you used to develop the walking code, which software was used. I know you touched on it a bit ealier, but was hoping for a bit more details.

Thanks!
    Scott

Thread Information