Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: USB2AX v3.0a feedback

Images

Re: USB2AX v3.0a feedback

The rest ofthe circuit is unpowered but it is connected to the data line. I'll just snip that wire on the underside since i'm not going to use this board for that purpose anymore anyways (I have more recent versions)

I use the default 1MBaud and my computer associates COM 16 with the USB2AX, and that shows up fine everywhere. (I'm able to open connection and whatnot)

2. Re: USB2AX v3.0a feedback

hey guys!

Thanks to all of you!
    I've done a shitty job of following up on this thread for the past weeks, yet I have to ask you to please bear with me a little longer, I'll get back to this soon.

Best,
    Xevel
    ---
    Personal blog: http://xevel.org
    USB2AX documentation: http://xevelabs.com

Images

So on the topic of getting the drivers installed on Windows XP... Using the .inf file, I get a warning saying the "necessary software" could not be found. Is this possibly due to the fact that I'm using XP SP2 and not SP3? (I do NOT want to update because USB speeds get downgraded with SP3 - need this speed for programming Axon)

4. Re: USB2AX v3.0a feedback

Gertlex: Sorry, I have no idea about this problem.
    I haven't touched an XP SP2 since SP3 came out, and I don't have any problem with SP3 on my laptop...

Do you have more information about the warning? does the USB2AX work anyway or is it a blocking issue?
    ---

Images

The USB2AX isn't recognized on the XP machine (correspondingly, the LED doesn't turn on). At some point I'm going to try installing the standalone MS USB update on the XP machine, since I also need such in order to use the hardware programmer from Pololu with Windows XP....

I also still haven't gotten the USB2AX to talk to servos on my Win 7 machine. :/

On a board note, I noticed that the RX and TX/Data pins are connected to each other. There's a trace between the two solder pads on the underside. Should that trace be there? (Specifically, the solderable jumper, as labeled in the lower right of the EAGLE drawing in the docs)

6. Re: USB2AX v3.0a feedback

Quote Originally Posted by Gertlex View Post
    On a board note, I noticed that the RX and TX/Data pins are connected to each other. There's a trace between the two solder pads on the underside. Should that trace be there? (Specifically, the solderable jumper, as labeled in the lower right of the EAGLE drawing in the docs)
    Having the TX and RX pins connected together is indeed normal.
    The goal is to have the DATA line connected to both input and output lines of the hardware serial port of the microcontroller. This allows the microcontroller to talk on the half-duplex data line by alternatively activating the input (RX) or output (TX) internal circuits. It's a neat little hack you can find in the Arbotix as well, among other boards.

The idea behind the solderable jumper is that you could cut this trace to use the normal full duplex serial port, while still being able to revert to the original state if needed be. Most people will never need it, I might remove the label to avoid confusion.
    Last edited by Xevel; 11-08-2011 at 12:26 PM.
    ---

7. Re: USB2AX v3.0a feedback

@Gertlex
    Sorry for keeping you waiting this long, I did not mean to ignore your problem or anything...

So, let's try to find where I might have screwed up, and where improvements might be beneficial to every potential user

I re-read all your posts, and I gathered that the situation for you is as follows:
    - On your Win7 computer, you managed to install the .inf driver, and the LED lights up, yet you can't get the communication to work with the setup you posted the picture of.
    - On your XP SP2 comp, you get a warning saying that "necessary software" is missing and the led does not light up, nothing works.

Let's begin with the Win7 situation:
    The green light lights up when the USB handshake succeeded, so this rules out a possible driver problem.
    Looking at your setup, I don't see any obvious problem either, the orientation of the plug seems ok.
    Have you tried disconnecting the logic on your homemade board from the data line? My personal experience with unpowered logic chips tied to a communication bus has been that it killed all communication (ha, the joys of I2C).
    If you just replace the USB2AX with an USB2Dynamixel, does your setup work any better? (if it does, then there is a problem with the USB2AX. if it does not, the problem is somewhere else in the setup...)
    Have you checked the cables, just in case?

On the XP front:
    Can you post a pic of the error please? or any information that could help me research the matter further?

Improvements to be done (everybody is welcome to suggest others!!!):
    - doc about the driver and a direct link to it
    - warning for XP SP2 users ?
    ---

Sorry, I did not respond on this earlier, I took a short vacation.

As Xevel has already stated, the hardware should need no changes except to mount the 3 pin connector. A 90 degree connector ensures it is the right way round. For testing, I simply use the SMPS and SMPS2Dynamixel for power.

I use the USB2AX on Windows7, Windows XP SP3 and Linux without problems. Applications tried are Roboplus, Python using Xevel dynamixel driver, Darwin OP. Also I succesfully used with Dynamixel libraries and applications from Agave Robotics and from Forest Moon.

I am not able to fix the problems you have with XP SP2, or understand where the problem is with your Win 7. As some background help, you should look at information and forum posts relating to the Arduino Uno and Mega2560. These use almost identical USB firmware and drivers based on LUFA. Earlier Arduino were based on FTDI chips same as USB2Dynamixel, but later are based on CDC ACM protocol same as USB2AX. The install tutorials for Uno should also be good for the USB2AX. The .inf files are almost identical, though both my machines did have arduino already installed before USB2AX.

Just a couple of other points related to the use of CDC ACM versus FTDI.
    The FTDI VCP drivers were always considered more robust than the Microsoft usbser drivers. The FTDI protocol is reverse engineered and can run on the Atmel chips, but the FTDI License for the USB drivers prevent this being made available commercially, so CDC ACM is used. Much of the recognised advantage of the FTDI drivers was their ability to recover when unplugged or reset while the port was in use. The constant data input from the FTDI device allowed the USB driver to timeout and disconnect if the device disappeared. CDC ACM devices sometimes locked up the port and/or the application if the device was reset or disconnected. With the USB2AX during development, I have to reset quite often and have had some lock ups. These I was always able to resolve, by unplugging and replugging the device again under Windows 7, never had to reboot. In normal use this should not be a problem. The FTDI devices including the new high speed parts do suffer from latency problems, so do not seem to be able to perfom as well as CDC ACM devices under the latest Windows 7 USB drivers.

Images

I'll get XP notes in another post. Note bolded text below, as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xevel View Post
    @Gertlex
    Sorry for keeping you waiting this long, I did not mean to ignore your problem or anything...

So, let's try to find where I might have screwed up, and where improvements might be beneficial to every potential user

I re-read all your posts, and I gathered that the situation for you is as follows:
    - On your Win7 computer, you managed to install the .inf driver, and the LED lights up, yet you can't get the communication to work with the setup you posted the picture of.
    - On your XP SP2 comp, you get a warning saying that "necessary software" is missing and the led does not light up, nothing works.
    - On both, was able to install driver for the Atmega32u when the USB2AX was in bootloader mode by pointing the driver install at the directory 'usb' in the Atmel Flip installation.

Let's begin with the Win7 situation:
    The green light lights up when the USB handshake succeeded, so this rules out a possible driver problem.
    Looking at your setup, I don't see any obvious problem either, the orientation of the plug seems ok.
    Have you tried disconnecting the logic on your homemade board from the data line? My personal experience with unpowered logic chips tied to a communication bus has been that it killed all communication (ha, the joys of I2C).
    If you just replace the USB2AX with an USB2Dynamixel, does your setup work any better? (if it does, then there is a problem with the USB2AX. if it does not, the problem is somewhere else in the setup...)
    Have you checked the cables, just in case?
    I cut all wires to the logic on that board with no change in results. I don't have a USB2Dynamixel; I find it to be OP for what it does, plus it's gigantic, thus why USB2AX was so exciting to me initially ...

I'm not sure why the Atmel Flip stuff was necessary in my case, but my guess is that for anyone who has done Atmega "development stuff" at some point also has the needed libraries installed somewhere.

Would there be any use in testing the board as a ttl usb2serial connection? To talk to a hardware UART (aka separate RX and TX pins as on the Axon's UARTs) would I need to cut that trace and disable the half-duplex?

Thread Information