Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: USB2AX v3.0a feedback

1. Re: USB2AX v3.0a feedback

Good news everyone!
    I now have my very own USB VID/PID for the USB2AX, and have updated the firmware and driver accordingly in the GIT repository.
    It does not change anything for users, yet it will make it possible for me to have the USB2AX sold without abusing the generosity of any cool people.

There is no need for beta testers to change anything, as long as you don't update the firmware (which for now is useless since it's still functionally the same).
    Newer versions of the firmware will require the updated driver.

@Gertlex:
    Before anything else, could you test something with a multimeter please?
    Plug the USB2AX to a USB port, remove the cable from the Dynamixel plug, and check the tension between GND and DATA.
    It should be 5v, otherwise it means that the unit you have has a problem. Before sending them, I tested each unit, yet I might have made a mistake and a faulty one could have been sent to you :/

Quote Originally Posted by Gertlex View Post
    I'm not sure why the Atmel Flip stuff was necessary in my case, but my guess is that for anyone who has done Atmega "development stuff" at some point also has the needed libraries installed somewhere.
    Well, using FLIP should not have been necessary, the unit I sent you was already programmed with the current firmware, and since it showed up as "LUFA USB To Serial", flashing it once again should not have changed anything (and as far as I understand from your posts, it has not).

Would there be any use in testing the board as a ttl usb2serial connection? To talk to a hardware UART (aka separate RX and TX pins as on the Axon's UARTs) would I need to cut that trace and disable the half-duplex?
    That could be an idea to troubleshoot the matter further.

To use the USB2AX as a regular USB to Serial, you have to:
    - cut the little trace between the pads of JP1. Make sure there is no contact anymore by testing for continuity between the TX and RX pins, and be careful not to damage the pads of JP1.
    - upload the usb to serial firmware with FLIP ( I gather from your previous posts that you knowhow to do this) : USB2AX USB to Serial Firmware (.hex) and Driver(same as the "normal, updated driver")
    - connect the TX line of the USB2AX to the RX line of your other board, and RX to TX.
    Then you can try to see if both directions work, by either sending characters from the USB2AX and reading them with your other board, or the other way around.

An other possibility would be for you to send me back the USB2AX so I can investigate further, and I'll send you another one.
    Last edited by Xevel; 11-15-2011 at 12:49 AM.
    ---
    Personal blog: http://xevel.org
    USB2AX documentation: http://xevelabs.com

Images

Re: USB2AX v3.0a feedback

Quote Originally Posted by Xevel View Post
    @Gertlex:
    Before anything else, could you test something with a multimeter please?
    Plug the USB2AX to a USB port, remove the cable from the Dynamixel plug, and check the tension between GND and DATA.
    It should be 5v, otherwise it means that the unit you have has a problem. Before sending them, I tested each unit, yet I might have made a mistake and a faulty one could have been sent to you :/
    Uh-oh. I'm measuring an inconsistent voltage that's usually in the range of 0.3-0.35 V. I tried both ground pins and got same result (nothing, whatsoever, is profound about that result)

Well, using FLIP should not have been necessary, the unit I sent you was already programmed with the current firmware, and since it showed up as "LUFA USB To Serial", flashing it once again should not have changed anything (and as far as I understand from your posts, it has not).
    Reason I mentioned this is that on the wiki where you give instructions for updating the bootloader, there was no mention of potentially needing to install drivers for the Atmega32u (which is what it shows up when bootloader mode is triggered) before the atmega shows up in Flip.

An other possibility would be for you to send me back the USB2AX so I can investigate further, and I'll send you another one.
    This, I could do. It would go out the beginning of next week, probably.

I'm guessing the other test(s) would be useless, but I can certainly try them this weekend if you want.

3. Re: USB2AX v3.0a feedback

Uh-oh. I'm measuring an inconsistent voltage that's usually in the range of 0.3-0.35 V. I tried both ground pins and got same result (nothing, whatsoever, is profound about that result)
    There you have it, the unit is defective.
    I'm very sorry, I must have made a mistake while testing. But fear not, the commercial version will be manufactured by professionnals.

I'll send you a new one tomorrow first thing.
    Last edited by Xevel; 11-15-2011 at 10:16 AM.
    ---

Images

Got the new one this weekend, and it works as advertised on Windows 7 (left XP laptop at work) ... Now to look into sending the dead one to you (I don't even know where my local post office is, haha)

5. Re: USB2AX v3.0a feedback

The PCB will evolve a little (markings, width and length), but this is what it should look like once it's manufactured
    Particularly, the OSHW logo will replace the wave-thingy ^^
    Last edited by Xevel; 12-06-2011 at 04:55 PM.
    ---

Images

A quick update; I've been playing with Windows 8 on my laptop (instead of Win XP SP2, 32bit), and had no problem installing the driver with "LUFA USBtoSerial.inf" (LED turns on; haven't installed dynamixel software though...)

Images

Whoo, got the USB2AX working with my Windows XP laptop + servos, just now.... quite a while after my initial attempts

To do this, I used this file. In the Hardware Update Wizard:
    1. Select 'No, not this time' and then 'Next'
    2. Select 'Install from a list or specific location (Advanced)' and then 'Next'
    3. Select 'Don't search. etc.', then select 'Next'
    4. Select 'Have Disk'
    5. Browse to the .inf file I mentioned above.

It should show the USB2AX in the listing. Clicking 'Next' installed it with no problem.

I think there were some earlier steps I did a year and a half ago, e.g. involving Atmel Flip, as discussed earlier in this thread. I don't recall exactly, but this should help anyone still using XP, hehe.

Images

Are these still for sale? I'm using the usb2dynamixel but this would be a dream to use instead due to it's size.

Images

Indeed. I wouldn't mind having a couple handy also.

Images

First result from google for "USB2AX".

Fourth result from google.

Apparently, xevel is also working on an STM32 version called the USB2MX, which would be interesting.
    Please pardon the pedantry... and the profanity... and the convoluted speech pattern...
    "You have failed me, Brain!"
    [git][mech][hack]
    gives free advice only on public threads

Thread Information