Trossen Distance Sensor  Top Banner

Thread: Difference beetween artificial intelligence and robotics?

1. Difference beetween artificial intelligence and robotics?

I need to know because i'm planning studying computer science with one of these two...

Images

Re: Difference beetween artificial intelligence and robotics?

To me (agricultural engineering with mechanical/electrical/electronic emphases), robotics is all encompassing:
    -Mechanical Engineering - materials/mechanics/dynamics for the design of robots, manipulators, and actuators; etc.
    -Electrical/Electronic Engineering - machine vision (how to gather useful sensor data from the environment); computer systems/processor design; design of robot/manipulator/actuator/power-distribution/battery-charge control systems; sensor design; etc.
    -Computer Science - computer vision (how to gather useful information from sensor data); machine learning/artificial intelligence; path planning; etc.
    -Biology/Biological/Chemistry/Chemical Engineering - inspiration from nature (methods of locomotion, manipulators, actuators, etc.); organic energy sources (stuff like bio-reactors* and urine powered batteries); brain/nerve-controlled prosthetic manipulators; etc.
    -Math/Physics - required for all of the above.

*Always thought these thing were really cool. Here, here, here, here, here, etc.
    Last edited by tician; 10-28-2011 at 09:37 AM.
    Please pardon the pedantry... and the profanity... and the convoluted speech pattern...
    "You have failed me, Brain!"

It varies a lot by school especially since a lot of these subjects are a little slippery at the undergrad level.

I think its worth dividing the disciplines into theory and application, although to a large extent all education is closer to the theory side of things.

Something like computer science is theory - you spend more time learning about data structures, compilers and how electricity makes everything work than you do writing programs.
    Then you move up to software engineering where you talk more about language features, managing large development efforts and writing applications.
    And at the application side of things you get the game development programs that tend to be more about plastering libraries together into a game.

I don't really want to step on any toes here but in general mobility goes in one direction. A computer science degree will let you do anything from write compilers to make games while the same cannot be said of a game development program.

You see a bit of the same gradient between AI and robotics. I tend to be careful with any program labeled robotics since you generally see the serious stuff called mechatronics instead.

Just to throw it out there, despite what I've said I would take robotics if I were in your position. It sounds more fun and at the undergrad level it probably wont make any difference anyways. Just choose what you think is coolest.

4. Trossen Hexapod  Thread Banner

A trivial bug in a typical AI program won't usually put a hole in the drywall of your living room.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveC View Post
    A trivial bug in a typical AI program won't usually put a hole in the drywall of your living room.
    Tell that to Skynet

Images

*Just some additional thoughts to add to what has already been said*

WPI defines a robot as having these properties:

A robot senses its environment, makes some computation based on that perception, then actualizes some output in the physical world. (Repeat ad naseum)

Based on that definition, AI is only part of what goes into a robot- specifically the computational aspect. Robotics Engineering is a blend of Electrical and Computer Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, and Computer Science (you need all three to make a robot). AI would fall strictly into Computer Science.

Granted, this is a loose definition of what a robot is. My new digital toaster is technically a robot if you interpret this loosely enough; however it serves well enough.
    Last edited by parallax; 10-29-2011 at 06:46 PM. Reason: ...punctuation...
    -parallax

Thread Information