Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Arbotix Pypose Read failed: servo id X

Images

Re: Arbotix Pypose Read failed: servo id X

After messing around for an hour, I figured what are the chances of the servo being no good, seeing its brand new out of the box,So I grabbed another one and it worked fine....

Images

New problem
    Everything will work fine for a few commands than i get the read error and than I have to push the reset button on the board it will be good for a few more poses have to hit reset again. Suggestions?

Images

What sort of power supply are you using? The 12V-5A SMPS from Robotis? Did you change anything in 'pypose.pde' before you uploaded it? Have any of the LEDs on any AX-12 begun flashing other than the first time they are plugged in/given power? Have you re-tested the servo you replaced earlier? Do you possibly have a USB2Dynamixel (arbotix should be able to do this as well) to independently test the servos and read/verify all of their register values?
    Please pardon the pedantry... and the profanity... and the convoluted speech pattern...
    "You have failed me, Brain!"
    bleh
    more bleh

Images

Quote Originally Posted by tician View Post
    What sort of power supply are you using? The 12V-5A SMPS from Robotis? Did you change anything in 'pypose.pde' before you uploaded it? Have any of the LEDs on any AX-12 begun flashing other than the first time they are plugged in/given power? Have you re-tested the servo you replaced earlier? Do you possibly have a USB2Dynamixel (arbotix should be able to do this as well) to independently test the servos and read/verify all of their register values?
    What sort of power supply are you using? The 12V-5A SMPS from Robotis?
    I am using a standard regulated 12v power supply (not the robotis one).

Did you change anything in 'pypose.pde' before you uploaded it?
    No changes were made.

Have any of the LEDs on any AX-12 begun flashing other than the first time they are plugged in/given power?
    No, they just flash on that first power up.

Have you re-tested the servo you replaced earlier?
    Yes and no. I did try and mess with it again last night the problem is/was from terminal say i give the ls command, it will show as id1 (new out of the box) on this servo i could not reassign the ID it would crash everytime no matter what. (by crash I mean after i give it the new ID I would not be able to read it again without resetting the board, and after the reset the ID would always still be 1) I will retest it once this problem is fixed as I beleive the servo to be good.

Do you possibly have a USB2Dynamixel (arbotix should be able to do this as well) to independently test the servos and read/verify all of their register values?
    Yes I have a USB2dynamixel. However i am farily certain the servos are fine, as stated everything works fine in pypose capture etc, I can move all the servos from the program I can get the reading etc, but after a few commands (anywhere from 2 -4) I will start to get the read fail error and a reset button push is needed.

Images

Update
    I have been working this issue for a few days and have tried many things, I decided to re upload Pypose to the board, so I plugged in my ISP cable and did so. Closed Arduino started pypose but left my ISP cable plugged in to the board and to my PC. I start pypose set the port for my xbee, go to terminal, type ls i see all the servos, I do this a few times for laughs all is well, Switch to pose mode, all is great I edit a few steps, Im thinking wow it most have needed a fresh upload, this is the longest i have ran without having to hit the reset button on the board (almost got this thing walking !). So I quit the program, shut everthing down, Unplug the ISP cable, reboot, start pypose 2 or 3 commands into it servo read fail error !!! So for laughs I plug in my ISP cable push the reset button on the arbotix board all is well again, i did have 1 crash but that was after an hour or so of hacking the thing. Looking for any input on to what to look at from here. Why would leaving my ISP cable plugged in prevent the servo read fails. Things that come to mind are , Power supply ? could the usb/isp interface be feeding more power to the board? Another thing on my mind since the start of this is, I run W7 64bit, could it be the cause ? I have a rig coming in a few days set up with XP untill than i cant try to run on on XP.

Images

Problem Solved

Last 2 things I did :

1. Switched over from Power supply to Battery.

2. Updated the firmware in the xbee's

All is well, I really like this board.

Images

After ~3 weeks sitting in the box, I finally broke out one of the two arbotix's in the lab. Pretty well replicated the problem when trying to be lazy by using a 12V-0.41A power supply from a dead dsl router. The arbotix stays continuously powered (programs correctly via Pololu ISP and example code from XBee tutorial works fine), and the LEDs of the two (did not even work with just one) AX-12+ will flash once at initial power on, but they never respond to pypose. Switch over to the 12V-5A SMPS from Robotis and all is well (with no other changes to software or hardware).

Removed the arbotix from the bus and it successfully powered two AX-12+ while communicating with a USB2Dynamixel over TTL. Go figure. Did not think the arbotix used that much power.
    Last edited by tician; 11-09-2011 at 01:42 PM.
    Please pardon the pedantry... and the profanity... and the convoluted speech pattern...
    bleh
    more bleh

Images

Quote Originally Posted by tician View Post
    Go figure. Did not think the arbotix used that much power.
    The ArbotiX should only be using about 20-30mA plus whatever the the digital IO and XBEE are consuming.

-Fergs

Images

Interesting, In retrospec I do not think it was my PS , I am a ham radio operator (K1XGT) , and have no shortage of Kick ass power supplies . In this case I was using a smaller one, it was a pyramid 12v, that can put out up to 10 A if need be. Another thing I notice, I bought a laptop used on ebay with XP pro on it just to run the bots around, Everything seems a lot smoother under XP versus W7 64. I have not had 1 crash since, and all is well. Now I want to buy another Arbotix board for my other bot, lol. Thanks guys

Images

Since my curiosity is further piqued, I guess I will be taking my FTDI breakout board in tomorrow to test without the Xbee's. It was also on the newer Win7 64-bit comp instead of the usual XP machine, so that's another thing for me to test along with current draw of each device.
    bleh
    more bleh

Thread Information