Thread: ArbotiX Board: AVR Studio 5: Pololu USB AVR Programmer

ArbotiX Board: AVR Studio 5: Pololu USB AVR Programmer

Hi there,

I have been programming the ArbotiX using the FTDI and Aduino environment. However I would like to get my Pololu USB AVR Programmer going. I have installed the drivers for Windows 7 64Bit and have access to the following ports:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AVR USB Programmer Ports.png 
Views:	251 
Size:	3.5 KB 
ID:	3611

The AVR Programmer firmware has been upgraded to 1.06a as suggested.

I have a screenshot attached with the error I get. Every time I hit the Read button I get that error. I know that the ArbotiX runs at 16MHz. And the closes I can get for ISP Clock Frequency at quarter of the speed is 115.2 kHz. Am I right in thinking that? I have tried lower and higher frequencies too.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AVR USB Programmer.png 
Views:	463 
Size:	97.6 KB 
ID:	3610

Can someone please tell me what I am doing wrong?

2. Re: ArbotiX Board: AVR Studio 5: Pololu USB AVR Programmer

You don't want the ISP speed as close to 1/4 of the operating frequency as possible. The lower the better, only more time consuming.

edit: can you scroll down a bit on the error message, maybe revealing more text?
    Last edited by HSPalm; 11-14-2011 at 06:42 AM.

3. Re: ArbotiX Board: AVR Studio 5: Pololu USB AVR Programmer

I see your problem now. you're using AVR Studio 5, which doesn't support AVRISP, neither AVRISP mkII (you however have chosen STK500 which is yet another programmer/eval. board). It's apparently too old for atmel too support, duh.... Download AVR Studio 4 and you'll be fine. There are also several other standalone programming software out there that support AVRISP

Re: ArbotiX Board: AVR Studio 5: Pololu USB AVR Programmer

Thanks for getting back to me HSPalm,

LOL, Regarding the image I posted, I simply shrank the window to minimize the image. There is actually no other text when you scroll the window.

As for AVR Studio 4, I upgraded the firmware on the AVR USB Programmer, and it makes it appear as a STK500 and the latest documentation for the Pololu USB AVR Programmer explains its usage with AVR Studio 5.

So I am kindof two hearted about installing AVR Studio 4 now. After reading this what do you recommend? Go the AS4?

Thanks again HSPalm.

Oh! I have a question. What other software do you speak of that uses the Pololu USB AVR Programmer?

5. Re: ArbotiX Board: AVR Studio 5: Pololu USB AVR Programmer

Sure, you can keep trying, he he. But Atmel has actually said specifically they do not support AVRISP in AVR Studio 5, just so you know. As I was working on a project yesterday I also noticed that my pololu programmer appeared as "STK500 in ISP mode" in AVR Studio 4. This is when I chose simply AVRISP and my COM port. What I ALSO noticed, can be found on the end of this thread http://www.avrfreaks.net/index.php?n...ad99f784865ccf my username is HenrikPalm. Just notice the problem, and my solution, for future reference.

Images

Re: ArbotiX Board: AVR Studio 5: Pololu USB AVR Programmer

If I remember correctly, the Arduino IDE actually uses a program called avrdude to upload code over the ISP. I use plain avr-gcc to compile to the hex file and then avrdude to upload the machine code via a USBtinyISP from Adafruit. If you were so inclined, you could just use AVRStudio4/5 to compile your code without messing with makefiles and then use avrdude to upload it.
    Please pardon the pedantry... and the profanity... and the convoluted speech pattern...
    "You have failed me, Brain!"
    bleh

Thread Information