Thread: Arduino powered humanoid robot

1. Thumbs up Arduino powered humanoid robot

This is a project that I have been working on for a while now. I recently purchased an Arduino Uno micro controller so that I could begin doing some programming and the project has truly taken off like a rocket. I have been using the Arduino Uno connected to a relay shield to turn on and off different components. I am currently looking into ordering a few motor controllers and some powerful motors to turn the wheels mounted at the base of the robot [I currently have the wheels removed so that I can test the motors without the robot driving once I get them]. The relay shield can turn on or off up to four different things so I currently have it hooked up to turn on inferred lights so that it's webcam can see in the dark. Another relay turns on the robot's computer when motion is detected and a person can connect wirelessly to the robot to see what it is seeing and pretty soon I hope to write some code so that the robot can be remotely controlled as well. Here are some pictures and feel free to make any recommendations for what motors and motor controllers might be best to use.

Additional Notes:
    - I have tried to make the robot as low cost as possible and a lot of it is scrap from other projects and broken appliances.
    - Robot is powered by a 12 volt rechargeable car battery but the arduino is on a separate NiCad battery pack.
    - I set up a blog and have recorded a lot of the steps that I have taken so far while building the robot so if anyone is looking for more information or pictures it is probably there; if not feel free to ask.
    - the site is (http://salviusrobot.blogspot.com).

Re: Arduino powered humanoid robot

Wow. I mean really.....wow!
    I grovel & scrape before anyone who does that sort of build, & with just a Uno?
    Must be my megalomania, but I thought with a beast like that you would have jumped straight into using a Mega.

3. Re: Arduino powered humanoid robot

The Uno was the first controller that I got and I am waiting before I purchase a Mega because I am partially still learning to program the Arduino board and I don't want to fry a Mega if I bought one. There are also still a few issues like the left shoulder which still has no motor so it kind of hangs limp while the elbow moves around. Also I have not yet added servos to move the fingers but once I do I can begin to do some really cool things with having the robot manipulate objects. I will probably end up needing at least two of the Mega Boards or perhaps if they come out with a new model like an Ultra or something

Thread Information