Trossen XBee  Top Banner

Thread: lcd tv no screen

1. lcd tv no screen

I have a curtis 4015a lcd tv. Screen went out, I just fiqured it was going to be the typical capacitor blown. Well when opened I found the two high voltage leads were taped to the back of the screen. They then at that point got so hot that the wire coating cracked and shorted. There are ceramic capacitors at the ends of both. they are marked with a high voltage symbol on the circuit board. there are no markings on the capacitors. I don't know how to identify them for replacement. I'm pretty sure they or one have blown. one of them is discolored. Any help please. My Son the electronics guru says I can't fix it throw it away. I'm trying to prove the smart as- wrong.

2. Re: lcd tv no screen

Ok still have Tv on the bench. Here are some pics. Obviously you can see the burnt out wires leading to the board. the high voltage ceramic caps seem to be burnt. But of course they are not marked. Please help. Hate to throw away a 1 year old tv.Name:  tv1.jpg
Views: 30
Size:  3.4 KBName:  tv2.jpg
Views: 28
Size:  3.2 KBName:  tv4.jpg
Views: 28
Size:  4.5 KBName:  tv5.jpg
Views: 24
Size:  3.1 KB

Re: lcd tv no screen

Perhaps you would have more luck trying an electronics forum rather than a robotics one?

Edit: If it's just a year old, was there a warranty? Personally, since it's high voltage stuff I'd use the warranty or pay to get it repaired. And if your son is an electronics guru, why not listen to him?
    Last edited by Th232; 04-04-2012 at 12:10 AM.

4. Trossen Hexapod  Thread Banner
  5. Re: lcd tv no screen

I can't see anything useful from the pics you've attached, but I'd suggest if the capacitors have burned out there may be an underlying reason. Replacing them might just be waiting for it to fail again. And if they really are high voltage you shouldn't be working on the circuit at all without the proper precautions (high voltage circuits can store enough charge to hurt, even after being switched off). Take Transistor's advice and take it back to where you got it from (hopefully they can't tell you've already had it open.)

Thread Information