Trossen XBee  Top Banner

Thread: Quick question on Arbotix Commander Version 2 - if anyone else had any issues

Images

Quick question on Arbotix Commander Version 2 - if anyone else had any issues

I got the PhantomX walking around fine - I was using the PyPose commander test drive to mess with him - everything is looking good - I got Xbee hooked into the computer talking to the PhantomX all via the Pypose. I just got my Arbotix Commander 2.0. It's all together, powering up looks good - but no luck in driving the PhantomX. Just to confirm my Xbee's were setup to communicate, I popped out the Xbee from the commander, put it on the Explorer and plugged into the Laptop - Pypose commander test drive - good to go.

What I have on the PhantomX is the AX12 Sketch from the Trossen PhantomX page so I figured that would work with the Commander software on. I tried to use what was default on the Seeeduino that shipped to me - I noticed the serial data piping back via serial monitor - haven't tried to examine that in detail yet. I tested blink on the seeed to make sure it was working okay, then reloaded in the V1.1 commander code Sketch - didn't see any new Commander V 2.0 sketches anywhere.

Any suggestions - it is nice out today was hoping to put the Commander together pop in batteries and walk him around the driveway. Looks like some serial message digging around unless someone has already dealt with this.

Chuck Durham
    cdraptor

Images

Re: Quick question on Arbotix Commander Version 2 - if anyone else had any issues

Quote Originally Posted by cdraptor View Post
    I got the PhantomX walking around fine - I was using the PyPose commander test drive to mess with him - everything is looking good - I got Xbee hooked into the computer talking to the PhantomX all via the Pypose. I just got my Arbotix Commander 2.0. It's all together, powering up looks good - but no luck in driving the PhantomX. Just to confirm my Xbee's were setup to communicate, I popped out the Xbee from the commander, put it on the Explorer and plugged into the Laptop - Pypose commander test drive - good to go.

What I have on the PhantomX is the AX12 Sketch from the Trossen PhantomX page so I figured that would work with the Commander software on. I tried to use what was default on the Seeeduino that shipped to me - I noticed the serial data piping back via serial monitor - haven't tried to examine that in detail yet. I tested blink on the seeed to make sure it was working okay, then reloaded in the V1.1 commander code Sketch - didn't see any new Commander V 2.0 sketches anywhere.

Any suggestions - it is nice out today was hoping to put the Commander together pop in batteries and walk him around the driveway. Looks like some serial message digging around unless someone has already dealt with this.

Chuck Durham
    cdraptor
    Check the 3.3v/5v slider switch on the Seeeduino within the Commander. Needs to be set to 3.3v.
    Andrew Alter
    Trossen Robotics
    Join the Robotic Combat Revolution @ Mech Warfare!

Images

Re: Quick question on Arbotix Commander Version 2 - if anyone else had any issues

Nice, thanks Andrew!! That would have been nice information to have in a document somewhere - Might be nice to update the Assembly guide to have that noted. The manual link is still to the old Commander. Anyway the PhantomX is jumping around scaring the crap out of the cat right now

4. Trossen Desktop RoboTurret Thread Banner
    Images

BTW the new commander is pretty slick, if you get bored with using it as a controller you have an added Seeeduino to play with and it's easier to program with just the mini-usb. I highly recommend one for more than just the Arbotix

Images

Nice, thanks Andrew!! That would have been nice information to have in a document somewhere - Might be nice to update the Assembly guide to have that noted. The manual link is still to the old Commander. Anyway the PhantomX is jumping around scaring the crap out of the cat right now
    Great to hear! They're actually supposed to be preset. Working on a manual update!
    Andrew Alter
    Trossen Robotics

7. Re: Quick question on Arbotix Commander Version 2 - if anyone else had any issues

I am having a very similar problem getting the commander 2 to communicate with arduino uno. My switch is set to 3.3v, but I am still not getting communication from the commander 2 to the arduino, except that my light flashes with the commander 2 turned on, but not with it turned off. Any ideas anyone? My xbees seems to be working as I can communicate at 9600 baud between one of them connected to my computer's usb port and the one on my arduino uno.

UPDATE: I also set up circuit and arduino uno code to directly monitor the incoming serial port from the xbee and output a 'debugging indicator' to an LED on the uno. Using this method, I was able to confirm that there is a pause of over 20 milliseconds between packets and also that the first byte after this pause is not 0xff as being read from the xbee. Don't have any idea what step to take next. Is this possibly some sort of parity issue, commander malfunction, ...? Is there a documented troubleshooting guide for the commander?
    Last edited by jerry7580; 08-01-2013 at 08:05 AM. Reason: Additional Information

Images

Can you reload the Commander firmware onto the Seeeduino? Confirm your xbee baud rate/pairing settings?
    Andrew Alter
    Trossen Robotics

9. Re: Quick question on Arbotix Commander Version 2 - if anyone else had any issues

ooops, I just now reposted a new thread on this as I had decided my original post had been overlooked. Please bear with me as I get the hang of using this Forum.

I think I can manage the process of reloading the firmware onto the Seeeduino, although I have been just a bit skittish about uploading anything to the seeduino until I feel confident that I know what I am doing, but I suspect it is just as straightforward as uploading to the uno, so I will start looking into that and see if I can get that done.

I have not figured out how to check the xbee settings. I seemingly was able to get into command mode on the xbee with '+++' using the serial monitor that is built into the arduino IDE with the xbee connected to my usb port via UartSBee board. I get the 'OK' response, but then I cannot get it to respond to any commands to display settings after that. For example I typed 'ATBD' which as I understand it should get a response indicating baud rate as a number 0 thru 7, but it simply ignores that command as well as all others I have tried. Since I can communicate between my computer and my program on the uno using these same two xbees, it seems to me that they are properly paired but I will confirm that as soon as I know how to check these settings.

Thanks

Additional info: In my Arduino IDE, I have 'Arbotix Commander (3.3v, 8MHz) w/ATmega 168' in my list of boards. However, before I tried using that, I checked my Seeduino and it appears to have the ATmega 328P chip on it. I do not have that board listed either as a Arbotix or as a Seeeduino. Also, my Arbotix Commander 2 is different than what is shown in the documentation that I have found under documentation associated with the commander 2 at http://www.trossenrobotics.com/p/arb...amepad-v2.aspx. The documentation that I am finding seems to be associated with the prior version of the commander and not not with Commander 2. So, maybe in my learning confusion, I am not finding the correct documents showing the firmware or the correct user manual. In the user manual, it shows a picture of what I think is the commander as opposed to commander 2.
    Last edited by jerry7580; 08-01-2013 at 02:53 PM. Reason: Additional Information

10. Re: Quick question on Arbotix Commander Version 2 - if anyone else had any issues

Tyberius, thanks for your input. I have downloaded and installed X-CTU and am making rapid progress regarding the xbee settings and understanding them. I will proceed with that before I reload firmware onto the Seeeduino. Also, I think I found the board that I need to select to download to the Seeeduino.

Arbotix commander 2 is now working. The problem was with the xbee configurations. Thanks again.
    Last edited by jerry7580; 08-02-2013 at 01:03 AM.

Thread Information