Trossen Distance Sensor  Top Banner

Thread: power to the arbotix

Question power to the arbotix

Fergy - I neeeed yer help again.
    (Or anybody who's messed with the Arbotix - this is probably a common Q)

So I'm the guy dreamin of this motorola droid bluetoothed to a Bluetooth BEE in the Zigbee slot of the Arbotix.

NOW I see why you use the dual zigbee setup - so pyPose can use pySerial to talk to the AVR chip.
    So I'm not sure I can get a decent GUI app on the teeeeeny droid screen, but I'll work somethin out hopefully.

OK - MY QUEStion - sorry.

So I got these:
    ArbotiX Robocontroller
    Dynamixel AX-12A Robot Actuator (just one so I don't freak out my wife)
    Power Supply 12V - 5A (2.1mm Jack)
    SMPS2Dynamixel Adapter
    LBC-10 11.1v Bioloid Premium Lipo Battery Charger
    LBS-10 11.1v Bioloid Premium Lipo Battery

How the heck do I hook up power??
    I think I get how to use the battery - PowerSupply=>Charger=>5 wire battery connector.
    Then I guess I chop off the nice little battery power 2 wire connector??
    And screw clamp it to the Arbotix power in?

How does this SMPS2Dynamixel adapter work??
    The dang SMPS ring/sleeve connector won't connect to it.
    The pin in the adapter jack is too big for the SMPS male ring sleeve thing..??

Ya may wanna update your hardware doc pdf so newbs like me can
    make some sense of things...

thanks mucho,

...Steve

Re: power to the arbotix

Quote Originally Posted by stephen.hazel View Post
    How does this SMPS2Dynamixel adapter work??
    The dang SMPS ring/sleeve connector won't connect to it.
    The pin in the adapter jack is too big for the SMPS male ring sleeve thing..??
    I ran into this issue myself. The SMPS2Dynamixel port is 2.5 mm. I just chopped it off and replaced it with a spare I had floating around. Maybe try this?

http://www.trossenrobotics.com/p/2.1...g-Adapter.aspx

Aw mannnn, ok.
    I get that dang adapter so I can run off wall power and such.
    Now the way that works is I plug brick into the wall, and the tip goes to the adapter, then SMPS2Dynamixel adapter which has a servo connector wire onto one of the 3 arbotix board 3 wire sockets - and that powers everything, right?

And battery wise,
    I chop the 2 wire power eeend connector off and that still leaves me a plastic connector between the board with clamped wires to the one side of the remaining connector on the battery.

OK! I think I'm set. Just gotta use the battery while i wait for the DANG adapter.
    I doubt Radio Shack carries anything like what I want.
    Back in the day it woulda - SHEESH - I really hate the decline of Radio Shack.

Been reading up on Android Bluetooth. Doesn't seem too bad.
    There's a demo called BluetoothChat.
    I'm hoping the bluetooth socket connection turns into a nice serial connection
    on that Bluetooth BEE.
    Else I gotta fall back to a regular Zigbee setup :/
    And give up the awesomeness of using my phone's cpu/camera/sensors/wifi/etc/etc

Ok, thanks for the help - I appreciate it!

...Steve

4. Trossen Hexapod  Thread Banner
    Images

Still kinda surprised that Trossen sells only a 5.5x2.1mm power supply, and not the Robotis 5.5x2.5mm SMPS. The adapter Th232 linked should work for the SMPS2Dynamixel, and you can then power the Arbotix with the SMPS2Dynamixel through a 3-pin dynamixel cable. Since I have a few hundred crimp pins, ~50 3-pin plug housings, and several 5.5x2.5mm power supplies, I took a 5.5x2.5mm socket connector with wire leads similar to this 5.5x2.1mm, and terminated it directly into a 3-pin dynamixel connector to power various dynamixel related parts, including an arbotix, instead of an SMPS2Dynamixel.

There should have been a 2-wire extension cable with the LiPo battery. Cutting the end that does not mate with the 2-pin connector on the battery itself would enable you to safely and easily connect the battery to the arbotix screw terminals. I do not recommend cutting the wires on the battery itself as that would be far too likely to cause an electrical short if the very short (in length) wires get pulled out of the screw terminal. I am pretty sure this is what you are already planning, but I just want to make sure because a lot of Li-Ion/LiPo's can react violently to having their terminals shorted.

As for the shack, they apparently have 5.5x2.1mm sockets and 5.5x2.5mm plugs in stock in all ~6 of the shops in my area (think dueling banjos), so you might get lucky if you really want to be impatient and spend ~$7 for a socket, plug, and connecting wire to make your own adapter. Of course, their online images and descriptions still suck quite badly.
    Please pardon the pedantry... and the profanity... and the convoluted speech pattern...
    "You have failed me, Brain!"

Quote Originally Posted by tician View Post
    Since I have ... I took a 5.5x2.5mm socket connector with wire leads similar to this 5.5x2.1mm, and terminated it directly into a 3-pin dynamixel connector to power various dynamixel related parts, including an arbotix, instead of an SMPS2Dynamixel.
    Hmmm, so just straight brick to 3 pin dynamixel connector?? No SMSP2Dynamixel adapter in the mix?
    I probably just don't understand ya on that.

The REST of it, I get. This mornin I steal an hour of work time and play with bluetooth.
    This eve, charge the battery, hook it's wires into the board, install the dang Arduino toolchain.
    (I'm not sure if I should stick with Arduino or just go for the straight AVR Studio / WinAVR.)
    STILL haven't got that Bluetooth BEE in the mail yet
    Anyways, I might have a servo spinnin tonight. But more than likely this weekend.

Anybody besides me prefer AVR Studio+WinAVR to Arduino?

Ok, thanks again. You folks are mighty helpful.

...Steve

Images

No SMPS2Dynamixel for me (it's just a couple 3/4-pin molex headers, a big capacitor, and a 5.5x2.5mm socket).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image036.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	59.9 KB 
ID:	3962  
    Please pardon the pedantry... and the profanity... and the convoluted speech pattern...

that is sleeeeek. so there's a capacitor stuck in that cable somewhere? Or it's inline with the brick?

Images

Nope, I was describing the SMPS2Dynamixel, not my little adapter. It's just a barrel socket/jack and a 3-pin dynamixel plug. I haven't really run many servos with it yet, so that lack of a biggish capacitor may cause problems in the future, but for now it works fine. Made another one with a Dean's connector for the DARwIn-OP because the barrel jack they use only has one retention level instead of the two retention levels of the jacks in the CM-5/510/530 (any jostling of the barrel plug when on only SMPS power can lead to disconnection and reboot).

I see. I think I'll play it safe n just have the honkin double adapters.
    It's already got a brick in line, so it's a little too late to try to be pretty.
    Well, you know what i mean. It can never HURT to be pretty, but, aaaaaaanyways.

Thread Information