Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: DARSha (or the thread formerly known as "Nexus 4WD omni-wheel platform")

Images

Re: DARSha (or the thread formerly known as "Nexus 4WD omni-wheel platform")

Finished the box for mounting/protecting the E-Stop (is very nice - [email protected], IP67 rating, vibration resistant, and very sturdy) and did a bit of wire routing cleanup. Moved the pan-tilt cable through a hole directly below the plastic bioloid C-frame attaching it to the mast instead of through the top end of the mast. Since there was a bunch of left over room in the ABS box from RS, I added two vandal-resistant buttons and at least two LED's for general user input/output (none are yet connected or even mounted right now).

The battery's positive terminal runs straight to a 32V 20A fuse then to a 'euro-style' screw terminal strip that links it to the E-Stop (#1 - VBAT) with the return of the E-Stop connected to the next position of the screw terminal strip (#2 - +12V). The battery's negative terminal runs to the third and final position of the terminal strip (#3 - GND). First thing I should do on Monday is add some rectifier diodes to the input of the arduino board controlling the base to keep the motors from energizing the +12V bus when being manually moved (doubt it is very good for the kinect and definitely defeats the purpose of the E-Stop disconnecting all power to the bot).

The E-Stop comes with a little plastic cap to cover the screw, but I might need to remove the switch sometime in the near future so I decided against installing it. A few more photos in the gallery.

Please pardon the pedantry... and the profanity... and the convoluted speech pattern...
    "You have failed me, Brain!"
    [git][mech][hack]
    gives free advice only on public threads

Images

ಠ_ಠ

Wow. I am having a rather intense hatred of FedEx right now. Faster than UPS, my pale hairy ass.

Anywho, Darsha is finally getting some upgrades. First is the 12V 20Ah LiFePO4 battery, and very soon will be the 20mm T-slot extrusions to replace the crappy aluminum angle hand-built frames and plastic cutting board platforms.
    Please pardon the pedantry... and the profanity... and the convoluted speech pattern...
    [git][mech][hack]

Sounds great!

Btw: did you install those rectifier diodes? Is the voltage drop a problem for you? For something as high-current as driving motors, I'd assume you'd want lower-loss solutions of some sort.

Images

The rectifier diodes were installed quite a while ago. The cheapo surplus motors only pull about an amp each and the driver boards are only rated for ~1.5A, so no real problems yet with a 12V 5A SMPS. After the frames are upgraded, will probably move on to a new bot rather than waste more money on those POS gearmotors and omni-wheels (loud gearmotors and non-rounded rollers combine to make ears bleed).
    [git][mech][hack]

Images

Oh, McMaster and Misumi. How I love thee!

I really hope to have Darsha rebuilt before the weekend with purty pictures to follow.

Unfortunately, the RGB LED driver ICs do not arrive from Adafruit until at least friday afternoon, so the new dance stage/platform for the Type-A humanoid will not be done before the weekend. Will be a bit smaller, but should be much improved over the crappy plywood stage they built in the shop for use at the freshman orientation resource fair (eye candy to aid recruitment). 12"x12"x1/2" semi-clear white polypropylene sheet mounted on four 12" 20mm black anodized extrusions with 25 individually controlled RGB LEDs shining upward into the sheet for a nice diffused effect.
    [git][mech][hack]

Thread Information