Thread: powering and arduino board

1. powering and arduino board

i am building a small robot that drives and navigates. for this i'm using an arduino uno board, a grove sensor shield to simplify the connection of five ultrasonic range finders, two 12v dc brushed motors and a discrete motor driver. i was thinking of using the Sabertooth 2X5 motor driver. the description states that the driver has a 5v output on board.

my question is what is the best way to feed that 5v output to the arduino board?
    would feeding the 5v and ground to one of the open plugs on the sensor shield work or will i back feed and fry something?

thanks

kararsiz Guest

Re: powering and arduino board

Why do you have to feed it to the sensor shield? There must be power supply pins on the arduino board. Feeding the supply to the sensor shield is not advisable because there normally has to be a current limitation before feeding them to the sensor so that it doesn't get damaged. I'd suggest you feed them directly to board where power pins of the IC are connected.

If you have 5V (rather than 7V or more) then the way to power an Arduino with that is to tie the +5V into the 5V output on the Arduino.

If you also hook the Arduino to an USB cable, there will be some cross-feeding, but in practice, I've never seen that *actually* be a problem. (All EEs on the board can kill me now :-)

The main problem I see with your suggestion is using the built-in 5V regulator on the Sabretooth. On the 5A version, that's only rated for 150 mA or so (IIRC) and some of that is already used by the logic on the Sabretooth itself. I would get a 5V BEC from a hobby store, or something simple like the $4.95 Murata OKI-SR78 switching 5V voltage regulator, and use that to feed the 5V circuits.

Or just bring the voltage from your battery straight to the Arduino Vin. Is there anything in particular that prevents you from doing this?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by vini_i View Post
    i am building a small robot that drives and navigates. for this i'm using an arduino uno board, a grove sensor shield to simplify the connection of five ultrasonic range finders, two 12v dc brushed motors and a discrete motor driver. i was thinking of using the Sabertooth 2X5 motor driver. the description states that the driver has a 5v output on board.

my question is what is the best way to feed that 5v output to the arduino board?
    would feeding the 5v and ground to one of the open plugs on the sensor shield work or will i back feed and fry something?

thanks
    If you are using a RobotGeek Sensor shield, then there is a 4-pin breakout on the side for power. You can feed 5v into the 5v output there to power it, just make sure you're giving it a regulated 5v or it will blow the electronics on the Arduino. Also, if you're using the 'PWM outputs', make sure they're powered separately for servos or set to 5v on the jumper settings for digital IOs (not servos).

Thread Information