Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Travidius Lives

Images

Re: Travidius Lives

It uses the exact same microcontroller (ATmega2561) as the CM-510, but it does have onboard RS-485 and does not attempt to share the second UART between the Zigbee and RS-232 for PC (only the Zigbee connector is available). There may be more firmware changes that speed things up, but I would think they would attempt to leave the two firmwares as close to the same as possible to decrease the workload for code maintenance/update.
    Please pardon the pedantry... and the profanity... and the convoluted speech pattern...
    "You have failed me, Brain!"
    bleh
    more bleh

Images

My cm-510 was problematic from day 1. Mostly with the zigbee module. Even though everything was setup corectly it would loose connection to the rc-100 sometimes it would not see the rc-100 at all and I would have to go through a ritual of cycling power and unpluging things. With the cm-700 I am getting none of that. I am also enjoying the ability to have AX and RX series servos on the same bus. This was the upgrade I needed. My only 2 gripes are : 1. why would they make such a nice controller and not sell an enclosure for it even as a seperate piece. 2. No buzzer , now I have to add a voltage moniter to the battery itself or some other way to know when my battery is getting low. Other than that I would rate it 4 out of 5 stars.

Images

Back to life

Just like this thread I have resurrected my robot Travidius. A friend gave me a Samsung Netbook N210 , I immediately knew what I was going to do with it. This robot has had so many configurations and one of my favorites is when I stick a computer on his back like a backpack (previously I was running linux on a Roboard rb-110) So I went to work Stripping the netbook down to the bare minimum and than doing a mock up install to see if I could mount this thing on the bot and still be able to walk, it is really light and I can make it weigh even less by ditching the Hard drive and running the os off of a SD card. For now I will use it to either stream video, motion tracking video recording, debugging over wifi and a bunch of other ideas I have. But my ultimate goal since I built this bot has been to run the bot on something like darwin-op or even ROS directly from its own on board computer unfortunately I am more of a hardware hacker than a software programmer and sometimes that makes some of the higher function ideas I have harder to achieve. Any how here is a video of some of the rough mock up, Since I filmed this I have further refined its layout to look a lot better. once I make it look as decent as i can I will make another short video.

What happened to the MW config?? It looked nice.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by ArduTank View Post
    What happened to the MW config?? It looked nice.
    I ended taking that gun off and turning it into an arbotix controlled turret with a camera before I sold off the Ax-12's from that project. I still have the gun itself . If I ever mount another airsoft gun on him I have a brand new Crossman pulse M74 DP. He will be looking a lot better in my next update.

Nice. Plan on ever competing in MW???

Images

Quote Originally Posted by ArduTank View Post
    Nice. Plan on ever competing in MW???
    My main problem is that to my Knowledge it is on the west coast and I live on the east coast.

Images

In the past there was sheprobo which I think was on the east coast. There was also mech warfare stuff at the KC maker faire...

Now though, I'm not sure. There was talk of an event in Chicago?

DB

The main event is moving to Chicago, yes.

Images

When I first got into the hobby I think I was like most new comers in thinking I am going to build a Walking Humanoid with AX-12's and carry the world on its back. This last project is a perfect example of that he walks pretty damn nice without that computer on his back. I was able to get him to walk carrying the computer but he was to unstable and unpredictable and after a few minutes my servos on the left side would act twitchy so I took it all off of him.

If I was ever to build a Biped mech I think to carry the payload I want I would need something like MX-28's or Mx-64's ideally and that brings the biggest problem I have of all and that is $$$. 4 , 6, and 8 legged walkers just don't do it for me

So back to this project I think I am going to take 2 of the servos off of his arms (for now) and add them to his hips. I need to spend more time learning IK so I can make my own walking gaits im lacking in that area.

Since day 1 one of my goals has been to build a biped that can do something like this : has the ability to do facial recognition , and take voice commands and tracking. Scenario I walk in the room robot recognizes me , I say follow me and he does. I am still along way from that but it is a nice dream and as computers get smaller and more powerful someday...

Thread Information