Thread: Really -- would a three-servo biped be allowed?

Really -- would a three-servo biped be allowed?

Running some more calculations, I think I could make the Little Walker three-servo design carry battery, camera, control, scoring plates, and a weapon.
    Now, the question is: would it be allowed to enter Mech Warfare as a biped walker?
    http://forums.trossenrobotics.com/showthread.php?5743-Another-three-servo-walker

The reason I ask is that my main project is a RoboMagellan entry for next RoboGames, but my youngest son really wants to enter as a mech pilot after seeing it last year, and I believe he could do it if we could find an affordable solution.

The rule say "no cam based walking," but this has articulated hips and ankles and no cams, so I think it's fair, but before I spend significant time on it, I'd just like to check. (Note that I don't worry too much about how competetive it will be, beyond staying running for ten minutes and having working controls/camera/guns -- which seems to actually be worth something by itself :-)

Images

Re: Really -- would a three-servo biped be allowed?

Yup... working controls/camera/guns got me 3rd place

Regardless of what gets ruled on the Twitch-likes, I'm sure such bots would be welcome for the heretofore unused open league, and you (-r son) would be able to do so some friendly matches.

I'm going to not otherwise comment for now, as I'm biased...

Right, but if I'm going for the open league, it's probably easier to just use a tank...

Images

Quote Originally Posted by jwatte View Post
    Running some more calculations, I think I could make the Little Walker three-servo design carry battery, camera, control, scoring plates, and a weapon.
    Now, the question is: would it be allowed to enter Mech Warfare as a biped walker?
    http://forums.trossenrobotics.com/showthread.php?5743-Another-three-servo-walker

The reason I ask is that my main project is a RoboMagellan entry for next RoboGames, but my youngest son really wants to enter as a mech pilot after seeing it last year, and I believe he could do it if we could find an affordable solution.

The rule say "no cam based walking," but this has articulated hips and ankles and no cams, so I think it's fair, but before I spend significant time on it, I'd just like to check. (Note that I don't worry too much about how competetive it will be, beyond staying running for ten minutes and having working controls/camera/guns -- which seems to actually be worth something by itself :-)
    I don't see any issue with these. As long as you can walk/turn and it's not cam driven it's fine. Keep in mind that the qualification requirements will be tougher this year though, so you may not qualify if you're too slow.

you may not qualify if you're too slow
    Yeah, I wouldn't enter unless I could go through the qualification video stage at home. The walking gait in the video is actually pretty slow, I think I can get it up to twice the speed even with the load of a gun, camera, and targeting panels. Experiments will tell :-)
    I'm very likely to use MJPEG over the WiFi through an on-board controller, btw, which I think is within the rules, too, even though it's not the TrendNet camera per se.

Images

Considering how fast AX-12 Twitch is... MX-28 Twitch might just be in MW2013

Thread Information