Thread: For learning: PhantomX Hexapod vs PhantomX Quadruped

1. For learning: PhantomX Hexapod vs PhantomX Quadruped

For learning robotics: PhantomX Hexapod vs PhantomX Quadruped

?????

I also ordered a Bioloid comrohensive kit, which ill be learning humanoid with...

Also a friend of mine may give me one of those phoenix from lynxrobotics... But those usually use hitec servos, with basic macricontrollers...But im looking to play with arbotix, and NUKE... thats why im asking this

Re: For learning: PhantomX Hexapod vs PhantomX Quadruped

Simply put, take your choice. I have a PhantomX Hexapod and converted the Lynxmotion Phoenix software to run on this configuration, with a Arbotix controller. The Phoenix often runs using Basic, but I also have it running on an Arc32 processor in C. Also you could use other controllers on this as well... I don't have any Quad robots so I have not done any testing on these, but others have taken version of the Hexapod software and made it run on a quad.

Good Luck

Kurt

3. Re: For learning: PhantomX Hexapod vs PhantomX Quadruped

Why so many hexapods? isnt 1 hexapod equal to another one? dont you want to try a quad??

Quote Originally Posted by Leugim View Post
    Why so many hexapods? isnt 1 hexapod equal to another one? dont you want to try a quad??
    One hexapod is equal to another in the same way that one car is equal to another. Size, weight, controller and other features make for quite different robots.

If you want to try a quad, perhaps an option is to buy the hexapod kit and leave two legs off. The only hardware advantage I can see with buying the quad is the size (and hence weight) reduction.

Obviously another advantage for Quads is they cost less as you don't have to buy the extra 6/8 servos...

I agree with Th232 here that not all Hex robots are created equal.

For example to me, the Lynxmotion Phoenix (Zenta) as well as Hexapods by Micromagic are the sleekest moving Hexs. The legs are very sleek and fold up compactly...

The PhantomX moves sort-of like the Phoenix, But bigger and the legs do not allow it become as compact as the Phoenix. But with the mods first done by Zenta and copied by me, we now have it that the PhantomX can walk right side up or upside down, which is pretty cool.

Where for example the Lynxmotion Round Hex robots like CH3-R are hold more weight and as the legs are equally spread around the body, move easily in any direction but not as smoothly as the Phoenix does going foreword... Over the years this has been the platform that I have done the most experimenting with.

Lynxmotion T-Hex: I know they sell this as a Hex, but I remember during development it should also work well as a Quad. This one especially when configured with 4DOF legs, acts more like a big Brute, More like storm troopers are arriving than an inspect/spider... I have not done as much with this one yet, but may take over as one of my main test setups as it is easy to change electronics, battery, ...

As for quads, I at some point would like to try one, may see about getting a PhantomX Quad body set, plus 4 servos, then it should be pretty quick to rob 4 legs from the PhantomX Hex (undo 4/5 screws and unplug) and try them on the quad. I think it would be a lot of fun...

Kurt

Thread Information