Thread: Robotis CM-700 Shell ?

Images

Robotis CM-700 Shell ?

I see pictures of robots running the CM-700 in nice black plastic shells , are these custom or does anyone know where they sell them ?

Images

Images

Re: Robotis CM-700 Shell ?

Yes the CM-700, does anyone make a custom shell (enclosure) for it ?

Images

Can't say that I've ever seen the CM-700 in an enclosure before. Are you thinking of the CM-100, from the Robotis Ollo kits, with its sleek injection molded black shell?
    Please pardon the pedantry... and the profanity... and the convoluted speech pattern...
    "You have failed me, Brain!"
    bleh

I don't know of anyone selling custom shells for those. I can think of a few ways of making shells yourself:

1) Get black thermoform plastic sheet, and vacuum form on top of a simple mold. Fast and cheap, but only suitable for "blobby" shapes. Cost: $5. Takes access to a vacuum former and some foam or balsa wood to cut the mold.
    2) Get about $50 of thick Delrin/Acetal plastic block/blank, and mill the shape you want. Takes time to create the milling file, and access to a mill.
    3) Get about $100 of alumium blanks, and mill negative molds, then use an injection molder to actually create the shell (or as many shells as you want, really ;-) Takes a lot of time, and access to both a mill and an injection molder.
    4) Design a shell in Sketch-up or Inventor or 3ds Max or whatever, and export to STL. Print at Shapeways. Anyone can do it; takes time to make the file; costs perhaps $50-$100 depending on how thick you want it.
    5) Buy a suitable "project enclosure" box from budindustries or similar. This will be all square and boxy, but it can have the color and size you want. Cost: $10.

Biggest problem is, I can't find a dimensional drawing of the CM-700 on the site or in the manual... You'd have to measure it yourself.

Images

Thanks for the replys. I thought that was the deal, having to make a custom piece. I have never used any of that CAD software. I think what I could do is make a mock up box of exactly what I want out of something like cardboard and measure it all up, than attempt to draw it in a CAD program. What I am trying to do is come up with a essentially a box that serves 2 purposes,
    1.House the cm-700 and 2. Is the actual body for a new robot I want to build. Let me ask this question I have played with the idea of getting into 3d printers, Is this a task that a 3d printer could handle ? What kind of strength can you get out of the material that the 3d printer uses ?

3D printers can print ABS plastic (same material as Legos, and most toys and box-like objects) as well as Nylon plastic (used for bushings, washers, and other semi-structural parts in machines -- very durable!) One 3D printing service that is popular is Shapeways. The cheapest Shapeways material (White Strong Flexible) is Nylon, and would probably work fine for this application, assuming you are OK with some flex. Shapeways can also print more rigid materials, including a mixture between steel and bronze, but then prices go up a lot.

If you buy your own 3D printer (Makerbot Replicator, Type A Machines, etc) then you will likely print with either ABS, or PLA, which is another reasonably durable plastic. These are the same kinds of plastics that companies make plastic parts out of, so you'd expect about the same durability, weight, etc.

A 3D design tool that can generate the STL files needed for 3D printing, and that is free, and some beginners have said they like, is Google Sketch-up. Another tool that many designers use, and which comes with a 30-day free trial, is Autodesk Inventor -- although that's very expensive once the trial is up.

The main challenge is getting all the dimensions right, and making sure there is sufficient support for the 3D printing process, as well as sufficient internal ridges to give enough stiffness to the walls, lining up mating surfaces/holes, etc. But, yes -- a 1-off specialty plastic case is pretty much the ideal use case for 3D printing, assuming the cost is OK with you.

Images

Don't rule out the vacuum former idea though. You can get some pretty nice detail with one, depending on the vacuum force, and material being used. I vac formed some covers for my mechs, and have got some pretty good detail. There are some pics in my gallery of a few parts I made. The vac former was east to build and didn't cost much. I just use an old worn out shop vac for the vacuum too.

Of course If you use this as an excuse to get a 3D printer, Go for it... I'd love one of those.

Good Luck
    Gary
    Team Maggot---Mechs. "Bheka" (retired), "Maggot Mk.3(A)"
    " Keep your stick on the ice ".... Red Green

Thread Information