Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14

Thread: Christmas present

  1. Christmas present

    Hi. I'm not personally into robotics. My son is a college freshman and has gotten very interested in robotics. He is seeking a degree in computer technology and works with robotics as a hobby. I want to get him something really cool for Christmas that shows that I care about his interest. I know nothing about robotics. He has an arduino board and has made a basic working arm. Does anybody have any ideas on what I could get him for about $100 that he would think is really great? Thanking you in advance!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Whidbey Island, WA
    Posts
    1,718
    Images
    456
    Rep Power
    97

    Re: Christmas present

    Trossen offers gift certificates...I know that can seam impersonal, but...

    Here is what I think...When I work on a project, I have specific things that I need...Most cost over $100...So instead of getting him something that he may or may not be able to use, why not let your son choose what he needs, or what would work best for him.

    For any of us to offer any specifics without knowing what he really needs, or what he is actually working on would probably be a mistake.

    Hope this helps.

    DB

  3. #3

    Re: Christmas present

    If he has an Arduino already, Pololu has a nice little kit for building a very small robot that runs on an Arduino, called the Zumo.
    It's intended to compete in "robot sumo" events, but it can also do other things.
    I recommend getting him the kit with the Zumo chassis, blade, and shield, as well as a few additional sensors to use on the robot, and perhaps some rechargeable batteries to go with it. Here's a shopping list:
    http://www.pololu.com/catalog/product/2505 -- zumo kit, $43
    http://www.pololu.com/catalog/product/2361 -- motor for it, $16, you need two
    http://www.pololu.com/catalog/product/958 -- reflectance sensor, $2.50, you need two (or more, for certain applications)
    http://www.pololu.com/catalog/product/136 -- distance/target sensor, $12, one should be enough
    http://www.pololu.com/catalog/product/1003 -- rechargeable batteries, $2.50, you need four

    Total comes out to $102 plus shipping, so *almost* within budget :-) By some Duracell AAs instead of the batteries if you want to come in under.

    I don't know if he has other common tools, like a soldering iron/solder, a digital multimeter, or a battery charger; those are generally necessary for any kind of hobby electronics.

    And, sorry Trossen folks: I don't know anything on Trossen that fits all those constraints -- although you have lots of nice things for somewhat higher budgets :-)

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Portland, OR
    Posts
    3,198
    Images
    952
    Rep Power
    141

    Re: Christmas present

    Quote Originally Posted by jwatte View Post
    If he has an Arduino already, Pololu has a nice little kit for building a very small robot that runs on an Arduino, called the Zumo.
    It's intended to compete in "robot sumo" events, but it can also do other things.
    I recommend getting him the kit with the Zumo chassis, blade, and shield, as well as a few additional sensors to use on the robot, and perhaps some rechargeable batteries to go with it. Here's a shopping list:
    http://www.pololu.com/catalog/product/2505 -- zumo kit, $43
    http://www.pololu.com/catalog/product/2361 -- motor for it, $16, you need two
    http://www.pololu.com/catalog/product/958 -- reflectance sensor, $2.50, you need two (or more, for certain applications)
    http://www.pololu.com/catalog/product/136 -- distance/target sensor, $12, one should be enough
    http://www.pololu.com/catalog/product/1003 -- rechargeable batteries, $2.50, you need four

    Total comes out to $102 plus shipping, so *almost* within budget :-) By some Duracell AAs instead of the batteries if you want to come in under.

    I don't know if he has other common tools, like a soldering iron/solder, a digital multimeter, or a battery charger; those are generally necessary for any kind of hobby electronics.

    And, sorry Trossen folks: I don't know anything on Trossen that fits all those constraints -- although you have lots of nice things for somewhat higher budgets :-)
    Solid suggestion!

    We're working on filling this exact ~$100 niche with some of our own kits, but we haven't gotten there quite yet. Been focusing more on the higher end entries.

  5. #5

    Re: Christmas present

    $100 seems like a very low budget for anything interesting in this hobby. I got my 9 year old the Lego Mindstorms kit, which was about $270, and that's as beginner as you can get while still having something interesting.

    For a college kid, I would think Bioloid would be the way to go, but the kits start at $350.

  6. #6

    Re: Christmas present

    That Zumo is a cute kit... I custom built something similar several years back. It would make a nice little table top rover even if he is not into mini-sumo. That's how I used mine.

  7. Re: Christmas present

    Thank you for your response!

  8. Re: Christmas present

    Quote Originally Posted by jwatte View Post
    If he has an Arduino already, Pololu has a nice little kit for building a very small robot that runs on an Arduino, called the Zumo.
    It's intended to compete in "robot sumo" events, but it can also do other things.
    I recommend getting him the kit with the Zumo chassis, blade, and shield, as well as a few additional sensors to use on the robot, and perhaps some rechargeable batteries to go with it. Here's a shopping list:
    http://www.pololu.com/catalog/product/2505 -- zumo kit, $43
    http://www.pololu.com/catalog/product/2361 -- motor for it, $16, you need two
    http://www.pololu.com/catalog/product/958 -- reflectance sensor, $2.50, you need two (or more, for certain applications)
    http://www.pololu.com/catalog/product/136 -- distance/target sensor, $12, one should be enough
    http://www.pololu.com/catalog/product/1003 -- rechargeable batteries, $2.50, you need four

    Total comes out to $102 plus shipping, so *almost* within budget :-) By some Duracell AAs instead of the batteries if you want to come in under.

    I don't know if he has other common tools, like a soldering iron/solder, a digital multimeter, or a battery charger; those are generally necessary for any kind of hobby electronics.

    And, sorry Trossen folks: I don't know anything on Trossen that fits all those constraints -- although you have lots of nice things for somewhat higher budgets :-)
    Thank you for your response! I can say words like reflectance sensor and distance/target sensor when my son starts talking robotics. These are things I can look into for sure. Thanks again for taking the time to respond!

  9. Re: Christmas present

    Quote Originally Posted by Tyberius View Post
    Solid suggestion!

    We're working on filling this exact ~$100 niche with some of our own kits, but we haven't gotten there quite yet. Been focusing more on the higher end entries.
    Like!

  10. Re: Christmas present

    Quote Originally Posted by Adam View Post
    $100 seems like a very low budget for anything interesting in this hobby. I got my 9 year old the Lego Mindstorms kit, which was about $270, and that's as beginner as you can get while still having something interesting.

    For a college kid, I would think Bioloid would be the way to go, but the kits start at $350.
    Thank you for your response! Yikes, so my son has an expensive hobby. That's OK, he's learning so much!

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Project I would like to create a christmas light show controlled by my pc
    By wind27382 in forum Garage Sale
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-23-2012, 12:06 PM
  2. Safety advice with EX106+ servo (present load)
    By george.profenza in forum DYNAMIXEL & Robot Actuators
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-08-2012, 04:08 PM
  3. Question(s) Using AX-12's present-load feedback
    By RobotAtlas in forum Humanoids, Walkers & Crawlers
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-04-2010, 08:33 PM
  4. Obtaining direction of present speed of Dynamixel AX-12+ actuators
    By ngom52 in forum DYNAMIXEL & Robot Actuators
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 03-13-2010, 06:37 AM
  5. News/Announcement Merry Christmas to everyone
    By 4mem8 in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 12-24-2008, 03:13 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •