Thread: PhantomX dynamixel id 1 stuck at 512

Images

PhantomX dynamixel id 1 stuck at 512

Good Morning all,

I'm new to the forums though I'm hoping you can help me with a problem with my PhantomX AX-18 Hexapod. As soon as power and Xbee is established my servo (id 11) jumps to 512 and stays there. All other servos are functioning properly. I'm using the Kurt's Pheonix code though the standard sketch does the same thing. Any ideas? It's only a few days old.

Cheers,
    Kevin Ochs

Sorry the title says id 1 though it should say 11....
    Last edited by KevinO; 12-18-2012 at 02:48 AM.

Images

Re: PhantomX dynamixel id 1 stuck at 512

If you load the pypose sketch onto the arbotix, does the servo respond to attempts to change the torque or position via pypose? There have been problems with some hexapods having servos resetting their ID to 1, and this might have happened here (although I would expect that to cause problems with the other servo with ID==1).

The fact that the servo turns on and moves to a position is a good thing. If it were completely non-responsive, or frozen in place, or clicking, then there would be serious worries.
    Please pardon the pedantry... and the profanity... and the convoluted speech pattern...
    "You have failed me, Brain!"
    [git][mech][hack]
    gives free advice only on public threads

I have had times when Servos have had their IDS change usually to ID=1. There has also been a recent thread on this.

During my porting of the Phoenix code over to run on the PhantomX, I had a test program that I would use to help me debug stuff. I did a quick archive of it this morning. Probably no different then my previous ones.

It runs using the debug terminal. So I either directly plug the robot into the PC (without the XBEE), or Move the XBee that is in the Commander over to a USB XBee adapter and plug that into the PC. There are commands like, Print the current positions of each of the servos. If this fails on a servo I think it prints -1... I used this to track down which ones were not responding. I then have a command to change ID X to Y, where I could usually fix the one that was off. (Unplug the valid servo typically 1 before issuing that command.

During that time I also found issues with the AX12 library and the query failing, which I know that some changes went in to address. So make sure that you have the latest libraries. Note: I am still running my own version of the Ax12 library.

Kurt
    Attached Files Attached Files

Images

Yep! That was it! Servo 11 was reporting an ID of 1. Setting it back to 11 with KurtEck's test program worked perfectly. Also on a side note, that is a very useful tool.

Thank you both for your help.

Cheers,
    Kevin Ochs
    Last edited by KevinO; 12-19-2012 at 12:29 AM.

Thread Information