Thread: Santa was very nice

Santa was very nice

.. or, rather, my wife allowed Santa to be very nice this year. In exchange for a chest freezer AND a new dryer...

Unfortunately, UPS was no as nice -- the busted box on the left is exactly what it looked like when I opened it upon receipt. Each of the servos would respond to ping, so I'm hopeing all is OK. One of them had the transparent LED cover loose; I poked it back and it seems good.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	santa-was-nice-2012.jpg 
Views:	275 
Size:	77.7 KB 
ID:	4391

Here's the result of about six hours of building. No electronics, and the outer feet are going to be custom, so not done yet. The base plates are cut from ABS sheet on a Shopbot CNC router.

Some measurements weren't explicit in the MX-64T/RX-64 drawings, but ended up being mostly OK anyway. (I cut this before the servos arrived.) The width/height of the main body of the servo isn't explicitly provided, and neither is the width of the flange. The thinkness of the flanges is also not set out, and neither is the nut holders on the underside of the flange. I'll see if I can find my drawings and maybe I can post an updated schematic...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	built-shell-2012.jpg 
Views:	255 
Size:	65.9 KB 
ID:	4392

Also: The horns came with what looks like a thin PTFE washer (or other such material.) It's unclear where it actually goes. I put it between the servo body and the horn, on the idea that it may provide protection against friction when there is thrust on the horn.
    If anyone want to put me right on that, now's a good time :-)

Re: Santa was very nice

Oh my, that's looking very nice.

I'm seeing a lot more -64 based robots recently, and it makes me very happy.

Images

I wouldn't worry too much about the LED cover -- I've had these fall out of place all the time on some of my MX-28s, I don't think they are very securely installed.

Yup, the PTFE goes between the horn and frame -- it basically replaces the older and more expensive thrust bearing horn kit.

Looks good -- is this to be a Mech?

-Fergs

Images

I usually really trust UPS, but I'm recently starting to question that. I didn't see it for myself, but the deliveries yesterday afternoon from UPS were supposedly made by a U-haul trailer covered in a tarp towed by a golf-cart. Not making that up. That is seriously the description I was given by a family member. My package from thinkgeek was mostly dry, but my brother's from amazon was thoroughly soggy (just shrink wrapped DVDs so no damage). Also, somewhere along the chain of delivery, our newest DARwIn-OP took a big fall and broke its neck inside the very well padded pelican case (broke the tilt servo so that it was locked in place) (the case also left deep indentations in the cardboard box it was shipped in).

The PTFE washers work well enough, just try not to over-tighten the horn onto the washer as it will require a bit of extra work by the servo when turning the horn. If you ever have to remove the horn, a spare piece of aluminum (or an extra horn) with a couple long M2 screws screwed into the face of the horn works very well at removing the horn without damaging the washer (you back out the screw in the center of the horn to pull the horn off with the spare horn/plate). Killed two washers trying to remove horns with a flathead screwdriver before I learned about that trick.
    Please pardon the pedantry... and the profanity... and the convoluted speech pattern...
    "You have failed me, Brain!"
    bleh

is this to be a Mech
    If I answer "yes," doesn't that make me committed to finishing in time? ;-)

Images

Quote Originally Posted by jwatte View Post
    If I answer "yes," doesn't that make me committed to finishing in time? ;-)
    Nah, there are lots of robots that "intend to be mechs" that never do. Sort of like the whole non-profit vs not-for-profit thing (lots of not-for-profits turn a profit, whereas lots of for-profit companies are non-profit).

-Fergs

Images

Meh...I think we should hold him to it. Yes...You have to make this into a mech, go to robogames, and enter it in mech warfare. You should go ahead and order your plane tickets now, as well as your hotel room. You have 4 or so months to get ready so GET TO WORK!

:-p DB

No worries, the goal IS to have this fight in Robogames. Specifically, to have my 10-year-old son run it. Me, I'm entering a Magellan rover. (Hmm... is that too many robot projects at once?)

Also, Google Maps claims it'll take me 2 hours to walk to the San Mateo Fairgrounds, but I'm not sure I could sustain that while dragging a toolkit and robot along. I'll probably have to bike -- 35 minutes ;-)

Tentative name: Onyx. (The quad, not the rover -- that's still called "money pit.")

Images

No worries, the goal IS to have this fight in Robogames. Specifically, to have my 10-year-old son run it. Me, I'm entering a Magellan rover. (Hmm... is that too many robot projects at once?)
    One can never have too many projects, as long as at least one gets worked on. Next one for me involves part number 'TSL1402R'.

Also, Google Maps claims it'll take me 2 hours to walk to the San Mateo Fairgrounds, but I'm not sure I could sustain that while dragging a toolkit and robot along. I'll probably have to bike -- 35 minutes ;-)
    Oh, to live in a place where one could walk or bike to even local places of interest like the grocery without the very high risk of getting run down by a car (bad drivers on poorly designed roads in a constant state of disrepair - it's no wonder the locals/yokels so vehemently hate 'big' government considering how badly they manage even the small governments).
    Please pardon the pedantry... and the profanity... and the convoluted speech pattern...
    "You have failed me, Brain!"
    bleh

Thread Information