Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: mynyr

Re: mynyr

Could have finished all of the stuff for class with ease 3~4 years ago
    But, because you didn't, there's an argument that you (the system) actually couldn't have. So, instead of trying to beat yourself up about all of it, try making some small change (stretch) to improve the ability of you (the system) to finish things. Don't give up until that small improvement actually sticks. Sure beats banging your head blood against a thick wall of coulda-shoulda!
    (Did I tell you about the time in 2001 when I stayed with a sinking ship instead of joining Google? True story.)

Okay, too much public laundry I guess :-)
    If RNGs are giving you trouble, download and use the Mersenne Twister. It's teh awesome when it comes to randomness. The period is something like 2^19937-1, and the amortized cost is about an add and a multiply per generated 32-bit (or 64-bit) number.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by jwatte View Post
    But, because you didn't, there's an argument that you (the system) actually couldn't have.
    Couldn't write these papers because they were not yet assigned as I could not motivate myself to apply to grad school (or any jobs), because really old brain stuff. Two years marginally employed between undergrad and grad school, by which time my writing ability was largely destroyed by newer brain stuff. ...and still unable to make myself apply for any job.

Did I tell you about the time in 2001 when I stayed with a sinking ship instead of joining Google? True story.
    oooh. Sounds like a rather interesting story, but the Lord Snark demands I must ask: 'Have we less intuition than a rat?'

Back to forum relevant stuff...
    If RNGs are giving you trouble, download and use the Mersenne Twister. It's teh awesome when it comes to randomness. The period is something like 2^19937-1, and the amortized cost is about an add and a multiply per generated 32-bit (or 64-bit) number.
    Used OpenCV's RNG (multiply-with-carry) because I could not figure out how to properly use the Boost RNG (Mersenne Twister) just from the docs. Should probably correct that during my next instance of chronocide.
    Please pardon the pedantry... and the profanity... and the convoluted speech pattern...
    "You have failed me, Brain!"
    bleh

Images

...and just had our first noticeable earthquake in several years (M4.4, ~90mi east).
    Please pardon the pedantry... and the profanity... and the convoluted speech pattern...
    bleh

Images

Well, the Darwin-Mini action figure is now complete and hanging onto the door handle of the lab to welcome newcomers, but that also means the efforts to return the DARwIn-OP to the theatre group without access to sudo permissions have encountered a bit of trouble (assembled during waits for ubuntu server installation attempts). Ran into a few issues with the axm_gripper branch that I merged into master a couple days ago, mostly because it was tested in isolation with just a CM-730 and a gripper. It caused ever so horrible contortions in the bot.

Having now held a non-functional Darwin-Mini in my hands, I am now a lot more doubtful that I could cram an RPi or BBBk into its chassis along with the CM-904 and BT-110. Could probably fit a gumstix or two, but not something as big as a credit card without it hanging dangerously on its back. This leaves me a bit annoyed as I rather wanted to stuff an RPi camera module into the head without having the RPI quite so exposed to abuse. The camera module should fit well enough after a bit of modification to the head.

Also, had an unexpected test of the diet soda bearing capabilities of the keyboard on my netbook. It passed with flying colors; not the slightest hiccup in any of the many programs running. And, apparently, I got my numbers off a bit as it was actually M4.1.
    bleh

With the RPi, you don't *need* the CM-9.04...

Images

Curse you, HobbyKing. Why must you tempt me so with your gigantic sale?

Welp, at least least I kept the splurge under triple digits. Now I should have enough A4988 driver boards to rebuild mynyr ...and more drivers to finish the 3D printer plus a kilo of green glow-in-the-dark ABS ...and plenty of 8, 12, and 16AWG wire with lots of 10mm wire sleeve for assorted tethers. The pair of I2C OLED displays were the surprising deal at <$5 each.

Fortunately, I did manage to keep myself from grabbing the even bigger in-runner that I was kinda drooling over, but never would have been able to fit in a PRS budget at full price (currently almost half off the usual $100). Still cheaper and much more interesting to attempt to transform surplus NEMA23 stepper(s) into a higher power, higher speed (2*N phase) synchronous motor(s) by rewinding the stator and replacing the rotor (maybe also machining away the teeth in the stator). The rotors in my NEMA23 steppers are almost as large as the can of that rather expensive in-runner, and could potentially stack multiple scavenged stators onto a single rotor/shaft.
    bleh

Oh, I've been looking for some BLDCs for turning lead screws for ... um, no, I'm not building my own leg actuators.
    What is that Chinese package doing in the postal service? I should stop drinking and surfing ebay! :-)
    Too bad the big 24-pole motors are too heavy ... http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...bal_Motor.html

Although there's a smaller one, still 24 pole, on sale for $16, west coast shipping!

Thread Information