Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: mynyr

Images

Re: mynyr

Just ordered an AD-12 and some other goodies from newegg. It will be joining my E-350 APU tower in chewing on the GA, PSO, NN, etc. processes for class, but eventually going into mynyr (and maybe Darsha depending on processing requirements). Hoping to keep up this momentum and make the misumi order later today (t-slot extrusions for darsha deux and mynyr), and maybe even the LiFePO4 batteries...

Now I just need to make myself make some actual progress on all these projects. I did manage to get the new board cameras in the lab working with opencv, so that just leaves me to create some more simple examples and write up the instructions on setting everything up and they will be ready to be added to the machine vision syllabus. Rejoice undergrads, the course is shifting so you won't have to deal with that p.o.s. QuantIm.
    Please pardon the pedantry... and the profanity... and the convoluted speech pattern...
    "You have failed me, Brain!"
    bleh

Images

Note to self: The HD-3000 webcam is pretty nice, except for the not-quite-tearing, but definitely stretching/squishing, distortion during high speed motion of the webcam (curse you, rolling shutter). Brightside: the heavy rubber-coated metal mount can be removed quite easily. The key is to remove the two screws kind of hidden inside the mount's recess before trying to remove the front face. Once the innards are exposed, all that's left to do is to pry off the little metal retaining clip at the bottom of the case that holds the pin that keeps the mount in place. The depth of the recess in the back is 10~13mm, and the two screw holes are D=1.25mm and 22mm on center. Could cut down more by removing the case, but it doesn't look horrid and protects it pretty well.

Less mynyr, and more cheap biped for soccer/futbol/mech-warfare, is a payload test of the modified bipedwalkers in the lab (a pair of 6-DOF humanoid legs plus a pan-tilt turret). Hopefully I can do that sometime tomorrow, now that I have finally finished tracking down and documenting the ~72 different MX-28 we've got in three DARwIn-OP and assorted singles (just received several that were repaired/replaced, and we never kept track with unique names/labels). It would be pretty awesome if I could stick the AD-12 on one of those ~$550 bipeds. (mini-pc + webcam) >> (CM-510/530 + HaViMo2); for autonomous soccer, or other "activities". It might also help a bit in trying to get some of the CSCI grads working with our bots for the machine learning semester project (more bots == more options).
    Please pardon the pedantry... and the profanity... and the convoluted speech pattern...
    bleh

I'm putting an AD-11 on the Onyx for Mach Warfare, so we're sort of in the same club. I chose the 11 because it was even smaller/lighter than the 12, and I didn't need the extra power. I also use a HD-3000 camera! But I keep the closest inch of rubber/metal bracket for mounting, and took the rest off with a chop saw :-)

Images

I was looking at the HD-6000 since it is a bit smaller and had been less expensive, but the cable goes through the swivel mount/clip so no hacking it off cleanly. Hoping the next attempt to install xubuntu onto the thumbdrive in the AD-12 will actually finish booting with visible screen output (used 12.04 not 12.04.2, and I'm hoping the older kernal was causing problems). If not, I'll be getting another HD-3000 or two, and at least one relatively inexpensive SSD. Might even try running the AD-12 at 12V again later if I'm feeling a bit adventurous (probably not healthiest idea. it beeped at me a couple times like it was angry, but then went to grub just fine).

On a side note, I'm kinda wishing I had gotten a kill-a-watt earlier in life*. I knew my computer stuff was pretty low power, but yeesh... It even made me giggle a bit when I first checked the loading (blame that partly on the mirtazapine as it screwed with my sleep and mood a lot). C-60 Netbook is 16~20W with screen on full brightness and movies playing. AD-12 is about 12~20W with a thumbdrive and no monitor. My "big" E-350 pc with three hard-drives, a dvd burner, new bluray burner, and 4 or 5 fans still only pulls 50~60W. The several year old 24" widescreen LCD adds 20~50W depending on brightness (it's fortunate that I do not use it very often as the mode button just crapped out on me - kinda stuck down, so have to pull up for it to register a "press").

*Further OT ranting: Previous guts of the big pc used to dim the lights a bit during initial power on and the upright vacuum cleaner still causes significant dimming of some lights while running. Georgia builders/contractors: never a square door/wall or level floor in the place, no waterproofing on the foundation (we added sealant to the interior walls of the basement, but still leaks sometimes and repeated water saturation has compromised cinderblock integrity), no plywood (or likely any vapor barrier) between the siding and the insulation/wall studs, two A/C exhaust vents in a garage with no garage door or insulation, garage on a slab directly integrated with the rest of house by a 1 foot drop from floor on the foundation to slab (perfect for termites to tunnel under the slab into the house and the wooden main support beam), and even cut every single ground wire back to the sheathing just inside the electrical box (including the garbage disposal with switch not 6" from the sink). The list goes on and on and on...
    (ಠ_ಠ)
    bleh

Images

Just ordered a pair of 2S 2Ah LiFePO4 batteries that will hopefully be squeezing into the DARwIn-OP's battery compartment, but if they cannot fit then they will be going to mynyr. Other than that, there has not been much progress on mynyr (or several other projects) because of continued brain issues. Bright-side: at least the crazy-vivid dreams and night sweats finally disappeared (it took more than a month after stopping the frellin' mirtazapine before I could sleep more than an hour without something weird waking me up), and the fluoxetine is kinda starting to work its magic again (sort of).

It would be really nice if I could get lots of stuff done over the weekend, but I won't hold my breath. At a minimum, it would be nice to get some code up and running to try to build a decently accurate map of the engineering building on monday using video of the ceiling tiles (stitch together a mosaic). Most planar laser range finders would have a hell of a time since the two main corridors are ~10' wide and a couple hundred feet long with few distinguishing features other than cross-hallways (~8' wide and 50+' long) (building looks like a giant ladder).
    Last edited by tician; 03-29-2013 at 09:29 PM. Reason: more goals to not meet and typo
    bleh

Images

grrr. They fit perfectly in the opening (1~2mm to spare in each dimension), but only get in ~15mm before hitting the mounting flanges of the two MX-28 in the hips (yaw). Ordered two slightly smaller 1.45Ah batteries that had better fit better. Still enough to confirm that 4S LiFePO4 work pretty well for powering a DARwIn-OP and could power Darsha for a while.

Also picked up some cheap servos to go with the two webcams. Uncanny valley, here we come...
    bleh

Images

Well, frell me sideways... My netbook's disk drive appears to have begun its final preparations for a dirt nap. Really glad I bought that 2.5" drive for the Zbox a while back. Have a $40 ADATA 32GB SSD on order at newegg. At least this hdd has given me some warning and time to backup, unlike sputnik's hdd which failed in a single boot after 9~10 years of use.

The 1.45Ah LiFePO4 batteries fit very, very nicely in the DARwIn-OP and will be modified later this week into a single 4S pack. The 2Ah LiFePO4 batteries will be going to mynyr and/or other small-ish bots.

For now I need to try to focus, focus, focus on classwork (lots of code projects and papers to be finished). Bright-side: I managed to turn a slight personal project into a final class project (using environmental text for mixture monte carlo localization), but still not sure if I will modify the read_text ros node to work as I would like or finish an attempt to implement the slightly newer (and possibly more robust) algorithm from Chen et al. 2011 (edge-enhanced MSER).
    bleh

Crashplan. Use it! If you just use it to backup between computers you have, it's free. They also have a server-side "cloud" storage version that covers ten computers and is quite affordable. I used other solutions before, but I've used this one since early 2012 and it's a lot better!

Also, for source code: github. Use that, too!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by jwatte View Post
    Crashplan. Use it! If you just use it to backup between computers you have, it's free. They also have a server-side "cloud" storage version that covers ten computers and is quite affordable. I used other solutions before, but I've used this one since early 2012 and it's a lot better!
    meh. I got all the essential backed up yesterday morning when it first started giving me trouble, but there are a bunch of project and part folders with lots of pdf files still left to backup (thought it was a little glitch not a 'no boot device found'-type problem so did not finish it last night). About to boot my 'big' computer and start copying, followed shortly thereafter by long overdue BD-R backups of that machine.

Quote Originally Posted by jwatte View Post
    Also, for source code: github. Use that, too!
    Already do.
    bleh

Images

This is a bit confusing and irritating. It has booted perfectly fine twice today and there have been no problems since getting it to boot yesterday afternoon ("no boot device found" -> pulled the bottom cover off the netbook and extracted the hdd to examine it and the flex cable -> error free booting). It may just be that the hdd and/or the flex cable attaching the hdd to the motherboard need a bit of movement every couple months. The last time it acted up, I had to pull the drive out of the slot to check the make and model and it worked fine after that with just a few corrupted sectors on the OS partition (fixed that by re-installing to a new partition). Drive still makes the annoying clicking when on battery power and sometimes while on AC power. Won't hurt to have an SSD instead, but that little bit of panic was quite annoying and did not sleep well while backing up everything.
    bleh

Thread Information