Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: mynyr

Images

Re: mynyr

I hate my brain. Hate it. Hate it. Hate it. Also really hate mirtazapine for making everything so much worse last year.

New Year's Resolution for this year is to check my email and grade report (have not checked either in over two weeks) to see if I am still in 'good standing' or if I've been booted from the grad program. After that is finishing the numerous programming projects and papers for the incomplete 'Computational Intelligence' class from last spring, preferably before the end of January. Then write my thesis, preferably before the end of this semester. Then try to find a job, preferably somewhere not in the south or anywhere else with such horrible suburban sprawl and widespread stupidity.
    Please pardon the pedantry... and the profanity... and the convoluted speech pattern...
    "You have failed me, Brain!"
    [git][mech][hack]
    gives free advice only on public threads

Best wishes to you Tician.

Edit:

And on a more philosophical note, if life were easy, everyone could do it. Keep it up!

Images

Have not made much progress on the programming projects other than mostly re-familiarizing myself with my existing code.

...but at least my new glasses should be getting here on saturday. Made a very stupid attempt to fix the cracks in the lenses of my old pair with a sparkfun heaterizer instead of heating up an xacto blade and using that to remelt the polycarbonate at the cracks. Was too lazy to get a new prescription until the last week of december, so spent the last several months with quite a bit of distortion in the left lens nearest the nose bridge attachment point and also lots of peeling of the anti-reflective coating of that lens. New glasses will hopefully be just as indestructible as the old pair (were an older version of these frames) without relying on lens crushing screw pressure to have the frames maintain a proper grip on the lenses.

Another interesting project I will probably never get around to exploring is robots asking for help using inverse semantics.
    Please pardon the pedantry... and the profanity... and the convoluted speech pattern...
    [git][mech][hack]

Asking for help is cool in a semantic way, but assembling IKEA furniture is the coolest robotics application I've heard of in a long time :-)

Images

The have a video demonstration of assembly and begging for help from humans.
    [git][mech][hack]

Images

Weird week...

New glasses are nice with no cracks anywhere ...yet.
    Expanded the number of items on the project list to be covered by my thesis work ...again.
    Lots of progress on GA and PSO projects for incomplete coursework, but none on darsha or mynyr.
    Roped into being a volunteer judge for FTC competition tomorrow.
    Roped into being a whatever needed worker for FLL competition on Feb 1 (and prep on Jan 31).
    Surprised by a very short turn lane into the unmarked entrance of the DMV and ruptured the sidewall of a tire running into the curb (and grazed a "no trucks" sign. and got a citation for failure to maintain lane). Nothing quite so humiliating as changing a flat tire on the front lawn of a state trooper office as others drive into the dmv lot. Really want to live in a place where I never need a car because it is safe and relatively easy to walk/bike almost everywhere.
    [git][mech][hack]

Images

After a two week 'episode' exacerbated by the cold weather and ruptured tire, I finally found the memory leak in my genetic algorithm that caused it to eat 3+GB instead of the proper 1.2MB (goes to 900kB if I drop the population sort() call) it now needs with a pop size of 5000. It was a uint64_t array created in the crossover function that I was failing to delete. Only allocated a few entries in the array (used dynamic memory to allow many different parameter configurations without recompiling), but the function was called (pop_size/2) times per generation for up to 30,000 generations per trial, and 10 trials per run of the program (each trial uses a new 'population' object, but those many tiny arrays did not get deallocated with the object).
    Last edited by tician; 02-04-2014 at 12:26 PM.
    [git][mech][hack]

Images

After 113 hours of a c3.xlarge EC2 instance, I finally have the 5k, 10k, and 20k population results. Just need to sort through the data and write it all up in a report, then move onto the MSE and snake-in-the-box problems. Also need to write about the MFD results (so much data it makes my eyes cross), and correct the midterm, and keep working on the walking engine. How I hate my brain... I wanted all of this done before the end of January.

While killing time, I made no further progress on the learning walking engine, but did go through a few iterations of the velostat 'body' pressure sensor boards. None ordered yet, but might order the last iteration. Its a 2x4 array of 20mm x 20mm sensor elements separated by 2mm with a 1mm border so panels can be made from multiple boards and maintain a uniform spacing of elements. The backside has a 6mm border of unmasked, electrically isolated copper for mounting with adhesive or solder, an ATmega328, and a 3-pin JST PH connector for data, +5V, and ground connections. An earlier iteration had a smaller 2x8 array of 10mm x 10mm elements, but the routing was ugly, required a very small connector, and required an unpleasant form of multiplexing.

Keep thinking that I want to add similar boards to the perimeter of Darsha and mynyr, but unnecessarily complicated and expensive for the time being.
    Last edited by tician; 02-13-2014 at 10:04 PM.
    [git][mech][hack]

This is totally the wrong forum, and here's my advice, having had some (but not all) of those same challenges myself in the past:
    Don't hate your brain. Your brain is you. Live with it, get to know it, love it. Then harness what it's good at, and manage what it's bad at.
    For comparison, I don't say "I can't run 100 meters in 8 seconds; I hate my muscles!" Instead, I plan to get where I'm going somewhat slower. Everybody has limitations, and planning within those limitations is a crucial ability. Banging your head against the limitations all the time just makes your head hurt. After you're in control: If you can plan to stretch those limitations, slowly and with deliberation, you can grow. Even so, there will be limitations -- everybody has limits.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by jwatte View Post
    This is totally the wrong forum, and here's my advice, having had some (but not all) of those same challenges myself in the past:
    Don't hate your brain. Your brain is you. Live with it, get to know it, love it. Then harness what it's good at, and manage what it's bad at.
    For comparison, I don't say "I can't run 100 meters in 8 seconds; I hate my muscles!" Instead, I plan to get where I'm going somewhat slower. Everybody has limitations, and planning within those limitations is a crucial ability. Banging your head against the limitations all the time just makes your head hurt. After you're in control: If you can plan to stretch those limitations, slowly and with deliberation, you can grow. Even so, there will be limitations -- everybody has limits.
    meh. Could have finished all of the stuff for class with ease 3~4 years ago; so, less growth, more decay.

Possible bright-side, the PSO seems to be running much faster on the netbook, so it was more likely the 219 calls to opencv's pRNG to mutate every individual every generation that was slowing down the GA so much. Downside is that the results of 10k pop were crap, just like all the other PSO results so far. Need to start runs with 20k and 50k swarm populations on my other computer.

Definite bright-side, I've learned a lot about creating proper/flexible makefiles. Also learned how to properly use 'nohup', 'ps -ef', and 'kill -9' when running scripts for large processing jobs.
    [git][mech][hack]

Thread Information